F18 GUN SIGHT ACCURACY

Badger633

Hey there!

I have to report that this bug is still persistent even in the new patch, the pipper will not show the correct position (I experienced it in A2G) and bullets will end up "higher" of the pipper position.

It doesn't happen always, since I tried to test it in a training mission I made (in the previous patch) and everything was fine, but I have no idea what might trigger it.

How about we collectively test it further, to see if we can determine what causes the bug?

• 3 weeks later...

This just happened to me on the latest OB. I was in the Mav F training mission on Caucasus. I fired all four Mavs at the targets, then I tried to do some A2G gun passes on the remaining targets. I noticed all my bullets were hitting well high, even though the pipper was dead on and I had an "in range" cue. I thought this was weird so I quit and did some googling. After finding this thread I was going to go back and record a track, but it appears to be working just fine now...

I will keep trying to figure out the conditions that made this happen.

I mostly fly the F-18, and mostly as a flight sim rather than a combat sim.

Gigabyte Aorus Pro Wifi, Ryzen 5 3600, GTX 1080, 16gb DDR4 3600, Valve Index

TM Stick/Throttle, Saitek Pedals, VAICOM

• 1 month later...

Had the same in the Serpents Head 2, third mission.

Had just done some Mav IR stuff and then some CCIP MK83 which landed short.

The gun was consistently high and missing. Is it something to do with altitude above ground?

Could also be why the MK83 was off as it might be reading the height above ground wrong?

I thought I'd need to go back to weapons school, did a quick strafing mission and it was fine then.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i7-9700KF @ 3.60GHz, 32GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2070 Super 1800MHz, Occulus Rift S, CH Pro Pedals, CH Pro Throttle, Virpil MongoosT-50 CM2, Virpil VPC WarBRD Base.

Now, some more weirdness...

Couple of months ago, when I was practicing strafe runs, I noticed 'AGR' on the HUD every time I slewed my TDC with HUD as SOI. Makes sense. That's what A/G guns use in CCIP. It was also strange since A/G radar was not implemented yet at the time.

I tinkered with it some more today and the only way I could slew the TDC on HUD was by loading couple of dumb bombs, set them to AUTO, set priority to HUD, select gun (and de-select the bombs:glare:). I was able to slew and designate on the HUD and yea... the AGR showed up:huh: (above CCIP)

I don't think it does anything though. The max range seems to be a bit too close, imho. When I got that close I had no problem hitting the targets... the dispersion will take out the neighborhood:D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Yes, it's a pity that nothing is done after so much time.

It seems that ED doesn't care about this problem...

Edited by Krys06

Windows 10 Pro x64 | Crucial 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz Ballistix | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | CPU Intel Core i5-9700K | VKB Gunfighter mkIII + MCG | Saitek X52 PRO (throttle) | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

I see that this topic is flagged "cannot reproduce and missing track file"...

Each time I execute the mission for practising Air-Ground Gun in Nevada for example and I start directly with the gun, I have the problem. So, it doesn't seem very difficult to reproduce (if you want to...).

And, as said earlier in this thread, when the track is played back, the gun sight is correct so providing a track file is ineffective for this bug.

Windows 10 Pro x64 | Crucial 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz Ballistix | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | CPU Intel Core i5-9700K | VKB Gunfighter mkIII + MCG | Saitek X52 PRO (throttle) | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

Unfortunately, yes. I play with the latest OB version (2.5.6.60720) and it's still there.

• 2 months later...
  • ED Team

Add short track replays showing the problem and we will recheck it. 

We are unable to reproduce currently.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...

Before I file a bug report, I'm asking here. Has anyone else experienced this?

Since the 2.7 update:

A/G mode, Gun selected, Rdr alt or AGR doesn't matter. The bullets land way beyond the target, the pipper seems to be placed too low.

20 minutes ago, gachatar said:

It seems to have the same bug as the one with A-10C II launch. If terrain is uneven (ie. mountains), CCIP pipper is off.

Have you assigned TDC to the HUD? It should say "AGR" below the altitude window.

As for OP, lemme know if you manage to reproduce.

Edited by Santi871

This bug seems to have reappeared. I have done some strafing lately, in 2.5.6. No problem then. After update to 2.7 the gun-reticle in AG-mode is off. When close to the ground, the reticle jumps down a few degrees, just before or after it says "In range". Thee bullets overshoot the target, When you pull up, the reticle jumps into place again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/14/2021 at 2:56 PM, Sharkku said:

Before I file a bug report, I'm asking here. Has anyone else experienced this?

Since the 2.7 update:

A/G mode, Gun selected, Rdr alt or AGR doesn't matter. The bullets land way beyond the target, the pipper seems to be placed too low.

I experienced the same just now, targets were on level ground.  I did not assign the TDC to the HUD.  Never had an issue with the A/G pipper before.  Will try again tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2021 at 7:59 AM, MarcT-NL said:

Yeah. Your video shows how it should work. I'll try to make a video this evening.

Darn !  I have tried a few times to make a video. But apparently this bug doesn't occur always. Can't get it in singel player. I saw it on 2 seperate MP-servers, but can't get it anymore. Sorry. I'll make a vid as soon as I see it again.

16 hours ago, enza said:

I experienced the same just now, targets were on level ground.  I did not assign the TDC to the HUD.  Never had an issue with the A/G pipper before.  Will try again tomorrow.

I haven't run across this issue yet. When you saw this, were you in range more or less?  Try diving at 45 or 30deg.  It should creep up from slightly below to on the target. Adjust the flight path tiny bit if you have to. 

You'll see the pipper creep when you're shooting rockets in CCIP. Approaching the target level at say 15k feet, you'll see the pipper slightly below VV. When you dive toward the target from that altitude, the pipper will drop below the HUD. I'm not sure if that's the way it works in the Hornet. I think it should be pegged at the bottom of the HUD. As you approach in range, the pipper will creep up.

Just had this also. A2G Gun was hitting way, way above the pipper. 😞

I had just released my last JSOW and switched over to Gun. Hit nothing but dirt.

Edited by chrisofsweden
  • Like 1

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

This just happened to me yesterday. I hadn't used the gun on ground targets in a while so after I had dropped all my JDAM's i went in for some close up work only to see the rounds sail right over the target time and time again. I tried to adjust but still couldn't get on target. Glad to see this appears to be a bug.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...