Move DCS World installation folder to another drive - what needs to be updated?

Hi all,

having "DCS World" (2.5.0.15365.345) and "DCS World OpenBeta" (2.5.2.18307.391) installed on the same drive I recently had to move my DCS World folder to another drive.

I was told that I don't need to update any registry keys, just to edit any desktop or windows menu shortcuts to point to the new location.

Basically this works fine except the autoupdate can't find the other installation folder any more to copy already downloaded files locally instead of downloading them (autoupdate _log.txt -> ERROR: Invalid local source: f:\DCS World)

In my "DCS World OpenBeta" installation folder I've found a file "dcs_local_source.txt" which I've updated manually, but my "DCS World" folder doesn't contain this file.

Is there a reason why I shouldn't create this file within "DCS World" (content pointing to "DCS World OpenBeta" installation folder)?

Anything else I will need to consider?

Thank you

• ED Team

You can move a dcs install to any drive, and you do not need to change the registry.

The only thing you need to do is update any shortcuts you have.

I will add an example below so you get the idea.

Just make sure the shortcuts point to the new location, right click on the shortcut, go to properties and adjust the path

attachment.php?attachmentid=153405&d=1481752211

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I would like to know the inverse of this.......can I move my windows from my SSD to a new drive easily in order to make more space for DCS?

Yes, you can clone a drive to another drive, so long as the destination drive is at least as big as the source. I use clonezilla for doing that.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

• 1 year later...
You can move a dcs install to any drive, and you do not need to change the registry.

The only thing you need to do is update any shortcuts you have.

I will add an example below so you get the idea.

Just make sure the shortcuts point to the new location, right click on the shortcut, go to properties and adjust the path

attachment.php?attachmentid=153405&d=1481752211

Holy thread revival Batman! Bignewy, I saw many posts saying that I should change registry for the new path. Has anything changed since you posted that?

Stay safe

• 2 weeks later...

Basically this works fine except the autoupdate can't find the other installation folder any more to copy already downloaded files locally instead of downloading them (autoupdate _log.txt -> ERROR: Invalid local source: f:\DCS World)

In my "DCS World OpenBeta" installation folder I've found a file "dcs_local_source.txt" which I've updated manually, but my "DCS World" folder doesn't contain this file.

Is there a reason why I shouldn't create this file within "DCS World" (content pointing to "DCS World OpenBeta" installation folder)?

Thank you

* Can anyone answer this very specific question please? *

• ED Team
* Can anyone answer this very specific question please? *

dcs_local_source.txt just adds a custom path where to look for the files.

Normally, paths of other DCS installs are taken from the registry.

Answering your question: yes you can. No harm, apart from longer checking times for what can be picked up from local sources.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

dcs_local_source.txt just adds a custom path where to look for the files.

Normally, paths of other DCS installs are taken from the registry.

Answering your question: yes you can. No harm, apart from longer checking times for what can be picked up from local sources.

Thank you, cOff ~S~

• 7 months later...