Spotting the ball in VR

ClearDark

Hey guys, first, I'd like to thank ED for an amazing module. Been waiting for ages, can't believe its finally here.

On to the topic, I'm running DCS with the HTC VIVE, I tried PD 1.5 -> 2.0, but alas, I cannot spot the ball on the carrier in due time. Usually, its way to late about 150-200 ft before the trap.

Has anyone found a solution for this? Am I missing something? I manage to trap without a problem however I keep flying below the glideslope. I'm trying to improve my traps flying the ball but I cannot see it, or well, I can see a mash of green/yellow lights, but very hard to tell the position of the ball once orange.

Please advise,

Thank you.

I can see the ball by using the VR Zoom with my Odyssey right around 3/4 of a mile. This is a compromise, I know, as I should be able to see it without zooming, but it's a compromise I can live with, as the other benefits of flying the Hornet in VR far outweigh it.

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

This is another issue I have. If I even get to see the ball, i'm too close to make the correct adjustments in time.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I dont have a problem with it, I did my case I video landing in VR and then recorded the replay in TIR for clarity, so it can be done. VR Zoom is your friend. Even at a distance I can make out if im on the ball, about 3/4 through the groove and when I feel good about my line up, i just VR zoom all the way down to the deck. The ball is all that matters in close anyway, so it's really all i wanna focus on. Just takes some getting use to. With VR headsets getting better in the future I'm sure this will get easier and less zoom required, but I doubt ED will do much to improve this just for VR, seems silly to change it to adapt to hardware only to have change it again later when the hardware improves, especially when its currently possible to see. my 2 cents.

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

I dont have a problem with it, I did my case I video landing in VR and then recorded the replay in TIR for clarity, so it can be done. VR Zoom is your friend. Even at a distance I can make out if im on the ball, about 3/4 through the groove and when I feel good about my line up, i just VR zoom all the way down to the deck. The ball is all that matters in close anyway, so it's really all i wanna focus on. Just takes some getting use to. With VR headsets getting better in the future I'm sure this will get easier and less zoom required, but I doubt ED will do much to improve this just for VR, seems silly to change it to adapt to hardware only to have change it again later when the hardware improves, especially when its currently possible to see. my 2 cents.

Thanks for the answer.

I didn't raise the question up for ED to fix, I posted this to see if there is any VR settings I might be "slipping" out and missing out some detail because I do see some folks in VR (like yourself) having no issues with seeing the ball.

I'm having trouble seeing it even with my nose planted flat on a 32" 4K screen unless i zoom in A LOT, not sure if messing with HDR settings could help but it just seems like a a messy pile of lights. :joystick:

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

I have a Rift, 1.3PD. I can spot the ball at a minimum 1/2 mile out. I thought I couldn't at first, but it was only because I was too low in the beginning of the groove. Once I sorted my pattern out, I found I was able to spot the ball a great deal further out.

Matthew 'Mags' Maclauchlan

Oculus CV1, Thrustmaster FCS HOTAS/Pedals

yeah, I'm using Rift and I can see the ball about 1/2 mile or more out. I'm using 1.5 PD.

For Vive *and* Rift, you really have to play around to find the sweet spot. Lot of Vive users reported that shaving some of the foam brought much better clarity. So play around with your HMD.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I can see the ball at an appropriate distance in my Rift, although not quite as clearly as in real life. As mentioned above, check your pattern. The IFLOLS is not like a PAPI or VASI. If you're well above or below the glideslope you won't see a ball at all. The appropriate call to the LSO then is "Clara". They would then talk you onto the glideslope, or give you the happy lights and let you try again. (I'm jokingly referring to the waveoff lights, which are two vertical rows of red lights on the IFLOLS that begin blinking when the LSO presses the pickle switch.)

i7-8700K, 32 GB RAM, EVO 960, GTX 1080-Ti, Oculus Rift

Former Naval Aviator and LSO - aircraft flown: E-2C Hawkeye, T-2C Buckeye and T-45C Goshawk.

DCS Noob.

I can see the ball at an appropriate distance in my Rift, although not quite as clearly as in real life. As mentioned above, check your pattern. The IFLOLS is not like a PAPI or VASI. If you're well above or below the glideslope you won't see a ball at all. The appropriate call to the LSO then is "Clara". They would then talk you onto the glideslope, or give you the happy lights and let you try again. (I'm jokingly referring to the waveoff lights, which are two vertical rows of red lights on the IFLOLS that begin blinking when the LSO presses the pickle switch.)

That's right. So if we could have a "use Ball pop out" or whatever in the special options , it only works if you are in the groove. Compensating for VR users low resolution. It's an option. So for the super hardcore guys complaining it's not real they can have the option not to have it.

Win Win!

Try turning the "gamma" down in settings menu,It helped me a bit with contrast,also,I believe The Higher you set Pixel Density The harder it is to see things outside the cockpit....I could be wrong about this so please correct me if so.

Patrick

mini.gif

No problem spotting the ball here either. Make sure you are on glideslope when turning final by hitting your numbers on the standard carrier pattern or by the from being at 3 degrees when placed at the boat. The ball is quite sensitive and it's easy for it to disappear completely.

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have gamma at 1.4 on 32" 1920x1080 monitor and I can pick up the ball at about the standard 3/4 mi. I also have Snap view 8 set to zoom to HUD view and the view bound to my SSC trigger first stage, so if needed I can zoom the view easily. Also great for employing AG weapons.