Move and resize kneeboard

ScopeDope

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been using Kneeboard Builder to move my kneeboards off my third monitor (which provides the displays for a custom built RIO pit) but the latest patch seems to have broken the latest Kneeboard Builder.

Why in the hell can we not move our kneeboard? The game is basically unplayable for me right now because my kneeboard is showing up behind a piece of the RIO pit.

• 4 months later...

yup

i REALLY want this to be addressed... i have two monitors and my kneeboard always pushes to lower right covering my MFD exports. I tried Kneeboard Builder but it just does not seem to work with the moving/resizing.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Thanks for the feedback Dmitriy,

we do need a way of knowing which tab is the current tab in use, we could possibly make the tab with less overlap, I will mention it to the team.

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

W.I.P Coming in a future update

Thank you

That looks promising. Will users be able to drag the displayed map area like on the F10 map? Right now the accessible areas of the maps depend on the flight plan created in the mission editor. It would be great if users could see any area of the map they need. Also, I'd love to see the elevation map available as well, as sometimes the old TPC charts used in DCS are not that helpful.

• Like 1

Awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing BN :thumbup:

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

having the kneeboards displayed on the pilots legs with the options to swap would be a quantum leap in immersion and mission planning

also the ability to draw on it on the fly even with a single color would be a one of a kind feature in flight sims and a revolution to missions and coordination

• Like 1

Wish 1: An option to reset back to original aspect ratio and location. An option to maintain the original aspect ratio.

Wish 2: The possibility to move the kneeboard around the cockpit in VR and have it "stay there" when you look away. This would include a Z (in and out) keybind and rotational ones too.

Wish 3: Kneeboard changes persist between DCS sessions.

Wish 4: Each aircraft has its own persisted kneeboard configuration.

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback Dmitriy,

we do need a way of knowing which tab is the current tab in use, we could possibly make the tab with less overlap, I will mention it to the team.

thanks

You could either make it a different, highlighted colour or just add a frame around the whole thing where the overlap will go over, without overlapping the content. I mean, this is not a friggen iPhone that shall have no bezel at all as per the designers.

Also, please make it possible to lock the aspect ratio, so the content doesn't get stretched out of shape - but it then would be great if you just could dump images in the kneeboard folders that are shown 1:1 on aspect as they are, sized down to fit into the set frame. If it's higher or wider than the image, just let it be free space while maxing out on the other axis, kinda like displaying 16:9 footage on 16:10 with some black borders at the top and bottom. Just make that look like an actual kneeboard, possibly with a texture that we possibly could mod. Basically you'd need a base texture for the thing, 2 horizontally streching ones (top and bottom) and the same for vertical (left and right) plus the corners.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

[...]

Thank you

- It's probably WIP, but the images should not skew, only scale. If you scale it to a different format than the original, maybe letterbox it and show a background texture, like a paperback or leatherback.

- Think of VR! (make of this what you want, but VR needs love)

- I think the bookmarks are a very good idea. Please make it easy to define bookmarks in editor or intellegently auto-create bookmarks from flightplan and aircraft in vicinity of same coalition. No need to have airfield charts for opposing airfields etc.

- Please make it more user-friendly to slip in custom pages simply by throwing a jpg or png in the mission folder

- Please also make it more user-friendly to slip in custom pages per module, simply by throwing a jpg or png in a folder in user data

• Like 1

Thank you

Finally, I hope it will solve the multimonitor configuration!

I guess the position after "editing" it will be saved over time, and not need to change after every reboot!

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

This is an awesome feature. Now we will be able to adjust the Kneeboard with multi-monitor setups and easily place it in a convenient place.

Can't wait for this to hit the Openbeta... :thumbup:

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Hand it over. I need to read my kneeboard! Excellent addition.

Hard to give feedback without trying it, but if I can run it on a two viewport setup with different resolutions (1440p, with a 1080p monitor below, using different FOV's and some bezel correction), then I'll be as happy as can be.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

- Please make it more user-friendly to slip in custom pages simply by throwing a jpg or png in the mission folder

- Please also make it more user-friendly to slip in custom pages per module, simply by throwing a jpg or png in a folder in user data

That's exactly how you do it today...

User/Saved Games/ create a folder KNEEBOARD. Put any pages for all aircraft (airport charts, beacon lists etc.) there.

For individual aircraft create a folder under Saved Games/KNEEBOARD named exactly as the aircraft folder in Program Files/DCS World/mods/aircraft/-name- (e.g. F-16C_50) and drop pages there to show on that Kneeboard, only..

File should be a .jpg and closely match the aspect ratio 3:4 (768*1024) to prevent stretching.

This structure replicated in the mission file (.miz) would tie the pages to the Mission. So you can handle individual Mission Data Cards for each aircraft.

Edited by shagrat
  • Like 1

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

That's exactly how you do it today...

User/Saved Games/ create a folder KNEEBOARD. Put any pages for all aircraft (airport charts, beacon lists etc.) there.

For individual aircraft create a folder under Saved Games/KNEEBOARD named exactly as the aircraft folder in Program Files/DCS World/mods/aircraft/-name- (e.g. F-16C_50) and drop pages there to show on that Kneeboard, only..

File should be a .jpg and closely match the aspect ratio 3:4 (768*1024) to prevent stretching.

This structure replicated in the mission file (.miz) would tie the pages to the Mission. So you can handle individual Mission Data Cards for each aircraft.

I just submitted a userFiles mod (awaiting approval) that takes care of all the file structures for you. All you have to do is add the images. BTW, the ratio 4:6 matches the kneeboard ratio perfectly. DCS kneeboards accept png, jpg, bmp, dds, and one other iirc. I personally prefer png.

Wish 1: An option to reset back to original aspect ratio and location. An option to maintain the original aspect ratio.

Wish 2: The possibility to move the kneeboard around the cockpit in VR and have it "stay there" when you look away. This would include a Z (in and out) keybind and rotational ones too.

Wish 3: Kneeboard changes persist between DCS sessions.

Wish 4: Each aircraft has its own persisted kneeboard configuration.

All of these are billiant. I switch between VR and TrackIR and Wish 2 would be my dream. Applying this to the F10 menu would awesome but that is less likely to happen. A man can dream though.

FC3 | A-10C | AV-8B N/A | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-16CM | P-51D | UH-1H | Mi-8MTV

Persian Gulf | Normandy | WWII Assets | Combined Arms

Specs: Intel i7 6700K OC, Geforce GTX 1060 OC, 16GB RAM, ASRock Z170 Pro4, HDD + SSD, Thrustmaster T.16000m FCS HOTAS,Oculus Rift CV1, TrackIR 5 (With LukeClip)

Wishlist: F-111G Aardvark | AH-64D/E Apache | UH-60 Blackhawk | F-4E Phantom II

Not Likely: F/A-18F Super Hornet

Unit: 85th Squadron [borderline Tactical]

https://discord.gg/e5hDyjA

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looks great Plus 1 for all th3e wishes although I dont use VR yet, I'll be going there again once I get my hands on a Reverb G2.

I think iots come of age the Oculus 1 I had was not there enough for me.. 4K v's Screendoor 4K wins everytime.

Targs,

GTX 1080ti, Asus Hero XI, Intel 9900KF @4.2MHz, 32g DDR4@3200Mhz, 4x 1Tb SSD 1x 400g m.2mvme(boot), 28" Samsung 4k, Saitek X-56 Throttle/Warthog Stick and Saitek Pro Flight Pedals.

Moduls

All of the NATO jets, and all the choppers..

DEDi MP [62AW] The Blackbirds Brisbane

Please can you make displaying "Kneeboard current position mark point" (RCtrl+K) on the kneeboard map as an option that can be enforced (disabled or enabled) in the mission options/by the server?

This way we could turn this off for the missions that are set in in the era before GPS. I mean, if we wanted to have "realistic" mission depending on navigation skill, with current implementation it would be quite pointless, because everybody can display own position instantly with RCtrl+K as a chevron mark on the kneeboard map... .

• Like 1

• Great news that the kneeboard is getting looked at.
  • Resizing and moving the KB on the screen is fantastic
  • PLEASE Keep the current toggle "on/off", "next page", "previous page" and "mark position" controls
  • Consider developing the ability to magnify (zoom in/out) and move the map around within the kneeboard window with the mouse.

This would mean no longer needing to use the F10 full screen which kills situation awareness instantly.

The F10 is fantastic for mission prep prior to take off and briefing/de-briefing.

However, in the air, the kneeboard should offer the functionality to move around the map and zoom in/out for greater detail all controlled by the mouse. Thereby replicating both e-map and paper map solutions.

Thanks for addressing this much needed topic.

S!