Chuck's DCS: F/A-18C Guide

Charly_Owl

Thank you so much for your answer and your expertise.

It´s really hard. I think the F18 is possibly the best way to start because of the fly by wire system, but the F14 is soo damn cool.

I know that the F18 has got some great tutorials. Does the F14 got it, too?

Another point is that the F18 has got a german (I´m german, so its a little bit easier for me :D).

And another Question is: Are there (carrer-) missions in both packages? I really like carrier missions and tutorials.

I´m looking forward to your answer.

In all honesty, the fly-by-wire system will not save you; the same basic principles are applied when it comes to carrier landings.

The F/A-18 and F-14 both have great tutorial missions. They both have carrier missions included as well. You can also download some in the DCS User Files section of the DCS website.

Hello,

can you please help me?

I'm new in the DCS business.

I want to buy a American fighter, so the F14 or F18.

Is there an carrier included in the F14 product package?

And has the F14 the vapor on the wings like the F18?

And which Flys better and which is easier to learn?

I hope I'm in the right threat, if not, sorry for that.

Thank you very much.

I have purchase both modules, but since I do not have rudder pedals - it has limited my time in the F-14 to less than 30 minutes, as it is a crucial part of the flight controls for the aircraft (personal opinion). The F-18 doesn't really even require you to use the rudder, but when you do, can typically get away without having pedals (again personal opinion). The F-14 is the more complete of the two modules, but the Hornet is coming along at a much quicker pace now (compared to the previous life and update cycle of the module). Both are equally as in depth to learn, in my opinion - but if you are new to the Eagle Dynamics world, not sure you could really go wrong with either of the choices.

And Chuck, thank you for continuing to update the manual for ED's Hornet module - reference it quite often while away from home base and burning time. Very very helpful and much appreciated. I agree with the others, you should get some kind of award for this hard work.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brilliant, thanks Chuck

ASUS Maximus X Hero; i7-8700K OC'd @ 5 Ghz; Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Extreme 8GB; 32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz RAM; 500GB Samsung EVO 960 SSD; Warthog HOTAS; Saitek Pro Flight Rudder pedals; HP Reverb VR; Realtus Forcefeel Game Pad running on SimShaker for Aviators software. :thumbup:

Big thx for this update of the best available F/A-18C-Guide! :)

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

Great news! Thanks again Chuck as always. Could you please let those of us who keep a hardcopy version of your manual know which chapters this new update changes so we can keep up to date.

Thanks!

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

• 3 weeks later...

Ola Chuck,

If you are ever in South Africa (Cape Town area) drop me a message. I will entertain you for a few drinks/beer/wine for all your effort in doing this guide - and many others.

Just awaiting for DCS to update/deliver most of the promised Hornet's functionality so that I can ring-bind your outstanding guide in a shiny, full colour A4-size manual for reference.

Many thanks again mate. Keep up the excellent work!

"This medical officer has used my ship to carry his genitals from port to port, and my officers to carry him from bar to bar" -- British Officer Combat Report

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

| VKB GunFighter II (Rev.B pin) + MCG-Pro | VIRPIL MongoosT-50 | MFG CrossWind | TrackIR5 | MonsterTech Throttle Mount | Win10Pro | MSI GTX 1660Ti | i7-4790K CPU | 16GB RAM | 1080p/144Hz Monitor | DCS on Samsung SSD 850 Pro |

Great news! Thanks again Chuck as always. Could you please let those of us who keep a hardcopy version of your manual know which chapters this new update changes so we can keep up to date.

Thanks!

I'll answer my own question for anyone else who's curious. Part 9 - Radar & Sensors, there's a placeholder page for "TWS Coming Soon" :smilewink:

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

Coming soon? Check the latest revision: it's already there!

Yes, that's what I was saying! Just letting those of us who are doing upgrades to a previously printed manual know which chapter & section needs to be printed from the new version and where to replace it in the old version :smilewink:

Firstly, thank you for your wonderful guide.

I posted to mention that on p334 (v 31/12/2019) the item on the HSI described as aircraft heading is, if I'm not mistaken, aircraft track. Sorry if this seems a bit pedantic, but if you wanted to fly to the waypoint and correct for wind (assuming a crosswind component), you would place this symbol directly over the waypoint triangle symbol (or below the TACAN one). It would then not line up with the vertical line above it (which is the heading). This is actually quite useful, as I don't believe that there's any other way to work out a heading correction to compensate for wind and stay on the desired track.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Hi Chuck,

I think I found a typo in the lates F/A-18C Guide.

On page 131, LTWS section, last sentence I believe should read, "Note that weapons cannot, however, be launched and guided from LTWS" and not ".. launched and guided from RWS".

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Found another error; page 274

- 6. should says, ".. press the Sensor Select Switch ..", but should refer to the Sensor Control Switch.

- The illustration in the lower left-hand corner should have [6a] in the upper label, and the illustration in the upper center of the B-Scope radar screen should be labeled [6b].

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Chuck,

Just purchased this module to study and currently reading this fantastic guide - so informative and helpful - love your presentation style and attention to detail :thumbup:

i7-5820K 3.30Ghz | Asus X99-S | Sapphire R290X | R7 240 | 16GB DDR4 PC4 2800MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (OS) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (DCS) | Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler | OCZ ZT 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular PSU | NZXT Phantom Enthusiast | 3 x IIyama Prolite E2473HDS 24" | 1 x Dell S2240T 21.5" Touch Screen | Windows 10 64-Bit | AMD Eyefinity 5760 x 1080 | TrackIR5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind 1771 | Vaicom Pro + VA (Licensed) | Sennheiser Game Zero | Honeycomb Yoke (June 2020)]