Chuck's DCS: F/A-18C Guide

Charly_Owl

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@Charly_OwlHello Chuck! I think I have found either a discrepancy in your guide or a bug in DCS. On page 215 you show an STT lock with PRF set at MED on right screen. Whatever I try my PRF always defaults to HI in this mode and does not change. Do you know how it should be IRL? I think MED would reduce the chance of the target breaking the lock by notching. What do you think? 

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR

• 1 month later...

First things first: thanks for your (absolutely amazing) guides chuck, and especially for the continued updates of those guides!

I do have a rather specific request though:

On page 499 (Part 10, section 2.11.1) of your current FA18 guide you describe the flight profile of the AGM-84E SLAM:

Spoiler

chucks_guide-SLAM.jpg

which currently deviates a lot by what is implemented in DCS.
(Made a bug report here , TLDR: FLT setting is ignored: Missile always flighs at launch altitude, then goes into ~9° dive to target.
Terminal attack flight profile not affected by DIST parameter.
-> no matter what FLT and DIST settings, flight profile is only affected by launch altitude and speed)

BigNewy responded in that thread, that the observed cruise altitude is wrong, however the terminal guidance is fine.

(With the current terminal guidance the target comes into the viewport of the SLAM roughly 7 seconds before the SLAM impacts)

I tried to find some documentation about the SLAM flight profile myself, but couldn't find anything.
Most useful documentation i found was this document, which btw at least says that the SLAM has and uses the same radar altimeter as the HARM:

Spoiler

image.png

Are you able to shed a bit more light into how the SLAM should fly or do you have any documentation on that matter?
(A simple "no" if you don't want to disclose your sources for whatever reason is a perfectly acceptable answer for me btw 😄 )

Thanks for reading, and thanks for all your guides again 🙂

Edited by Brinkyeti

6 hours ago, Airwolf466 said:

Chuck,

Thanks for these wonderful Manuals.

I was just at https://www.mudspike.com/wp-content/uploads/guides/DCS FA-18C Hornet Guide.pdf and I couldn't get the latest F-18 manual to download. I got a error that your server was down. 

try this link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q2vH0WLm5mdu2U3GX8AkB1z6iIP-I_sF/view

you can also try to right click the link and choose "save link as"

Edited by mnf1980

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

page 626

MANUAL IFF TUTORIAL NCTR

8. Interrogate target by using the Sensor Control Switch DEPRESS control for less than 1 second, then Sensor Control Switch RIGHT

What's it for Interrogate target - "Sensor Control Switch" to the RIGHT? For lock  target in (AACQ) mode ?

Edited by SMN

Окурок, выброшенный в урну, гораздо патриотичнее флажочка на автомобиле

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

dear sir

Without wanting to rush things,without expecting any date at all, without wanting to open any discussion...,but as last update dates from 21-8-1021,i was just wondering if  there will be any progress of the guide whenever in the future,or is this the final version.?

A "no" or a "yes" is a sufficient answer for me

sincerely thank you

JM Luyens

On 2/22/2022 at 5:08 AM, tigertoo said:

dear sir

Without wanting to rush things,without expecting any date at all, without wanting to open any discussion...,but as last update dates from 21-8-1021,i was just wondering if  there will be any progress of the guide whenever in the future,or is this the final version.?

A "no" or a "yes" is a sufficient answer for me

sincerely thank you

JM Luyens

Well, I've been updating the guide for more than three years. I'm not privy to Eagle Dynamics' plans for the Hornet, so I can't tell if the Hornet systems will be further updated/developed or not. I could speculate and foresee mission data cartridge functionalities being added eventually, but no idea on the timeline. 

I don't plan on working on the Hornet guide in the foreseeable future, but it's still a possibility that there could still be yet another update further down the line.

Edited by Charly_Owl
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Charly_Owl said:

Well, I've been updating the guide for more than three years. I'm not privy to Eagle Dynamics' plans for the Hornet, so I can't tell if the Hornet systems will be further updated/developed or not. I could speculate and foresee a mission data cartridge functionalities being added eventually, but no idea on the timeline. 

I don't plan on working on the Hornet guide in the foreseeable future, but it's still a possibility that there could still be yet another update further down the line.

thnx for the stright anwer Chuck,appreciate and understand it

thnx a lot for the fabulous guide as it is today, i still have a lot to learn from it (lol) and i'll see what the future brings

tata

Tigertooo

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 4:50 AM, Charly_Owl said:

Well, I've been updating the guide for more than three years. I'm not privy to Eagle Dynamics' plans for the Hornet, so I can't tell if the Hornet systems will be further updated/developed or not. I could speculate and foresee mission data cartridge functionalities being added eventually, but no idea on the timeline. 

Hornet guide is awesome and taught me everything learning this plane.

Re the future - 23 items coming according to a guy on reddit's research but not sure how accurate or how long these will take:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, VDV said:

is this features from official DCS list?

As it is titled "Unofficial Road to Completion" I'd say: no.

You can find the official Hornet Features Roadmap here:

• Like 1

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H