Need help: Joystick and Multiple monitors

Hi,

I have a crappy joystick by Frontech which I find rather inadequte for LockOn. I'm having a tough time deciding what to buy. I had CH Products
Fighterstick and Pro throttle in mind but the HOTAS Cougar looks good too.

For the CH Products' I need to shell out about $300(149.95 + 149.95) and the Cougar comes for $250. So I decided to ask the experts. I'm sure some of you use the Cougar, has anyone used the CH stuff? Which one do you suggest I get? Do both Fighterstick and Cougar have force feedback(this is not important though, please provide your recommendation without considering feedback as a criterion).

My next question is regarding multiple monitors. I have seen a lot of LockOn videos on forums and see the pilots perform some maneuvers (like a 4-point formation roll or a deltaship formation) with a fly-by view. I tried the 4-point(solo) and couldn't get it right without the indicators to guide me. Do they use another monitor for an external view? Does LockOn have an option to project a different view on another monitor? For example, can I have the cockpit or HUD view on my primary monitor and a fly-by view on the secondary? My video card does support it and I currently have two monitors connected but the game needs to support it too....right?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I personally use the Cougar and would recoment it to those tho like the best HOTAS out there in terms of programability and longevity, but be ware stock cougar does not have very good gimbals (at least in earlier batches) and most people having it also purchased moded gimbals, which are quite expensive. So if money is no issue go for the Cougar, but if you are not prepared to spend any more money on it I would recomend X52.

Definitely get some rudder peddals and... TrackIR. That will vastly improve your flying skils and game immersion.

Do a bit of research on www.frugalsworld.com forums to find out more about the Cougar itself. They have a forums dedicated for Cougar programming, technical issues, discussions, modding and what not else: http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=8

• Like 1

No longer active in DCS...

CH is more durable and programable if not as good looking and has certain problems with buttons reach on the stick. X52 is also an Option, it will feel a bit awkward due to its loosness for those who are new to saitek stuff, I have MOD'ed mine to fix that but if you wary of doing that I reccomend you the CH for having a sturdy stick that works out of the box and outlast everything else without having to MOD it ever.

I have analysed all both these sticks before in 2 threads:

http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=15906&highlight=thunderdome

http://forum.lockon.ru/showthread.php?t=21199&highlight=improve

• Like 1

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

hoooraaay just checked the prices for the CH stuff here, it went down to 168 Euros each piece. :lol:

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Muggy, the issue with stock Cougar gimbals was due to TM using very soft aluminium alloy as a casting that would wear out very quick (if you use the stick every day like many of us do). That develops quite a bit of gap and creates "dead play zone" in the centre of the stick which doesn't feel very nice so many started midding it themselves and some people with available machinery (like IJ) started creating very nice, high quality and very durable gimbal mechanism. I got IJ's mod few years back but I forgot what "model" it was. I got Hall Sensors to replace stock pots as well, but mind you you'd have to get them anyway if you were to use IJ's gimbals.

There are quite a few posts about these things at Cougarworld (I posted the link in 2nd post). If you are interested to know more please check there, there is tons of stuff to see and learn.

So again, if money is no issue I recomend the Cougar and modding the stock gimabls with IJ's gimbals. Foxy programming software for it is awsome also.

I personally like my Cougar.. Its 4 yrs., and I've just installed IJ's NXT mod last year..

This is one of the best investments for my flight sim hobby..

I've also add Hall sensors to my throttle as well ...

And of course I have a TIR4 as well as simped rudder pedals..

This gives me a very realistic flight..

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

My next question is regarding multiple monitors. I have seen a lot of LockOn videos on forums and see the pilots perform some maneuvers (like a 4-point formation roll or a deltaship formation) with a fly-by view. I tried the 4-point(solo) and couldn't get it right without the indicators to guide me. Do they use another monitor for an external view? Does LockOn have an option to project a different view on another monitor? For example, can I have the cockpit or HUD view on my primary monitor and a fly-by view on the secondary?

I don't think you can do this... but I have seen posts where people have mentioned to be able to project information from gauges (and possibly even HUD) with LUA exports... or something like that. You might need to to a bit of forum digging if you want to find out more. I really can't help you with this.