[REPORTED][MERGED] Catapult Failed Launches

Arbil

Are you sure you did set headwind? DCS is different than weather maps, opposite direction.

Yes. We were adamant that the wind was causing it but as I described in post #3 this issue showed out to be completely unrelated to wind.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3531276&postcount=3

As I describe in the bug post above, I'm 98,333% certain that it's the fix added last patch to keep your aircraft from sliding on the deck. I've tried the trick I described in that post in different temperatures, carrier-, and windspeeds. Still seems to work consistently. Please try for yourselves and see if you can help me confirm that this actually is the issue we're experiencing.

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

WHOGX5, please go and watch the tracks I posted above. This is not related to your bug report. Even so I do not have the issues you are describing. In both tracks I took off at 45,000+ lbs according to the weight on the checklist page. The rearming window says I was at 47,000+ lbs gross weight. I took off just fine after waiting to fully lock into place with the warmer temperature. The cold temperature put me in the drink. This is reproducible.

WHOGX5, please go and watch the tracks I posted above. This is not related to your bug report. Even so I do not have the issues you are describing. In both tracks I took off at 45,000+ lbs according to the weight on the checklist page. The rearming window says I was at 47,000+ lbs gross weight. I took off just fine after waiting to fully lock into place with the warmer temperature. The cold temperature put me in the drink. This is reproducible.

this should be moved to bugs or maybe make a new bug report. I can reproduce the same as you as to regard to cold tempatrure = waiting for rescue helicopter in water...

Half flaps, and takeoff trim. What I think is happening is that you aren't connected to the shuttle. Drop your launch bar, creep up to the shuttle and press U. This will connect you. This should fix your problem. It is very important that takeoff trim is set or it will try to put you in the drink.

I still cannot re-produce,

please provide trk file.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Your carrier is also only doing 11 knots, should it not be doing 25-30 knots ??

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

Half flaps, and takeoff trim. What I think is happening is that you aren't connected to the shuttle. Drop your launch bar, creep up to the shuttle and press U. This will connect you. This should fix your problem. It is very important that takeoff trim is set or it will try to put you in the drink.

This.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Same thing for me. Hornet will just belly into the sea if spool up is not immediate after attaching to the catapult. Gets airborne just fine if throttles are engaged immediately.

Also happens for me if aircraft starts hot from the catapult (falls into sea).

Will attach a track later when I have some time.

this should be moved to bugs or maybe make a new bug report. I can reproduce the same as you as to regard to cold tempatrure = waiting for rescue helicopter in water...

Possibly. I was only confirming Arbil's bug report if he wants to create a new thread. Or a moderator can move this one.

Not sure who this is directed at but yes I am doing all that. Again, please watch my tracks if this was directed at me. You'll see it's been done. This is why there's tracks and not just me describing what's happening.

-Launch bar down

-Taxi to shuttle

-Press U

-Wait until hooked up

-Launch bar switch in Up position

-Throttles to 80% to verify no cautions on DDI

-Throttles MAX

Cold weather I only get up to about 130 knots on the launch. Warm weather I get to about 190 knots. I did many launches below 7 degrees C to try and pinpoint the threshold so this bug is reproducible.

Your carrier is also only doing 11 knots, should it not be doing 25-30 knots ??

Just reproducing what the OP did, but yes probably. That still doesn't explain the cold cat.

Cold weather, cold enough to snow, carrier launches fail.

Try to launch on the Caucasus map (only map you can get the temp low enough to repro this) with the temperature low enough for it to snow, I did -1. You only go off the deck at about 130. Moved the temp up to 8 (chosen randomly, didn't test the threshold) and launched just fine, about 200 leaving the carrier.

The following link is my initial post in the parent f18 forum. In post #20 I link to 2 other threads I think are the same issue. In post #22 user kk0425 posts tracks that supposedly (I didn't watch) demonstrate a cold weather fail and a warm warmer weather success.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=212287&page=3 [Launching into the water?]

(page 3 has the tracks)

Please Try w/ a Fresh Mission w/o Using MOOSE.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

I tried track "hornet in the drink.trk" and indeed ended up in the water.

The aircraft is not overweight

I set the trim to 16 and then 17

I verified the launch bar was properly set in the shuttle

I made sure afterburner kicked in

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

Some More information we need:

is it a MP only issue or if it happens in SP,

As well if it's a Client only issue or if it happens to the host as well

That's what I am trying to pin point,

its possible w/ the way items have changed for deck interaction and launches, that the mission had a old parameter.

FYI my friends and I just tried a number of multiplayer launches on the persian gulf map and we kept dropping into the sea, everything correct. In single player with same settings and loadouts we launched with ease. It seemed the catapult wasn't giving us sufficient takeoff speed. We tried on 2 seperate servers so that wasn't the issue...we are continuing to try to isolate.

FYI, Same behaviour yesterday at a new MP mission edited first and SP later trying some different weather configs I noted wrong end speed at cat launch with hottie & heavy QHH conditions, and normal launchs with 29.92 and 20ºC, wind unddiferent.