What does this "W" symbol in the HUD exactly do?

majapahit

I prob am missing something

What does this "W" symbol in the HUD exactly do?

When does it appear and disappear and for what purpose?

Velocity Vector the round circle prediction, and "W" (called 'watermark'?), somehow these designators are mixed-up on the forum?

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

The W - where you are pointing

The Velocity Vector - where you are going

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

OK THX

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

And the difference between the W and the Velocity Vector is your Angle of Attack. I think the W is only visible with gear out but I could be wrong on that.

It's visible when your VV is HUD limited as well (out of frame), that's when the pitch ladder gets referenced to the 'waterline' (W) instead of the VV. It's in the NATOPS, definition of the velocity vector part.

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

It's visible when your VV is HUD limited as well (out of frame), that's when the pitch ladder gets referenced to the 'waterline' (W) instead of the VV. It's in the NATOPS, definition of the velocity vector part.

Ok thanks for letting me know!

• 3 years later...
On 6/13/2018 at 2:26 PM, Etirion said:

And the difference between the W and the Velocity Vector is your Angle of Attack. I think the W is only visible with gear out but I could be wrong on that.

Is it really?  Ref...?

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, JUICE-AWG said:

Is it really?  Ref...?

Well its not 100% accurate of course since AoA is technically the angle between the oncoming wind and wing chord and not the nose position and velocity vector, but since the velocity vector at least in the vertical pretty much always points into the wind and the nose position is close to the 0 angle of the wing its a good reference for AoA. You can check it in game as well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Etirion said:

Well its not 100% accurate of course since AoA is technically the angle between the oncoming wind and wing chord and not the nose position and velocity vector, but since the velocity vector at least in the vertical pretty much always points into the wind and the nose position is close to the 0 angle of the wing its a good reference for AoA. You can check it in game as well.

Cool, that makes more sense to me...as you can be transitioning the wind relative to the Chord Line at any point with low speed, especially the VV will sink below the AoA with the -w- in a total (mostly higher) position anyway.  Good answer to me, makes sense.

"There are only two types of aircraft, Fighters and Targets." Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 10/25/2021 at 7:11 PM, Etirion said:

Doesn't the wing chord on the Hornet change from the wingroot to the wingtip? So much so that there really isnt one angel, but rather multiple, depending on what you're looking for? There might be a geometrical average, or the chord-angel at max lift or max pressure, and so on.

Just wondering 😛 

First become an aviator, then become a terminator

8 hours ago, TimRobertsen said:

Doesn't the wing chord on the Hornet change from the wingroot to the wingtip? So much so that there really isnt one angel, but rather multiple, depending on what you're looking for? There might be a geometrical average, or the chord-angel at max lift or max pressure, and so on.

Just wondering 😛 

Washout...

🙂

• Like 1

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg