Auto Throttle!??

Nufsed

Auto Throttle? Are you referring to ATTH on the AP menu? I thought that was Attitude Hold? i.e. put the aircraft into a bank with ALT Hold on and ATTH holds the bank. I can't find an auto throttle anywhere. :cry:

The four things a Wingman is allowed to say...

1. Two
  2. Lead, you're on fire.
  3. I'm bingo fuel.
  4. I'll take the fat one....:(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Auto Throttle!??

Autothrottle is a separate button you need to map onto your HOTAS. When engaged, you’ll see “ATC” in the lower right of the HUD

Goon

ASUS ROG Maximus VII |Intel i7-7700K@ 4.80Mhz|CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 @ 3000 |GTX 1080 Ti | Windows10-64bit| 3x24" Samsung 1080p| 1x 28" Samsung 4k| Thrustmaster Warthog| Saitek Rudder pedals| TrackIR 5 | Samsung Odyssey

That's interesting. I've never seen autopilot with TAS hold feature... I find it relatively useless :D

Your air nav calcs are done with TAS which is probably why it's done that way. In PA mode it holds your AoA as which is kind of IAS (sort of)

From the NATOPS:

2.1.2.2 ATC Cruise Mode. The ATC cruise mode is engaged by pressing and releasing the ATC

button on the left throttle with the FLAP switch in AUTO. When ATC is engaged in the cruise mode, the existing airspeed is used by the flight control computer to modulate engine thrust to maintain this existing airspeed. The existing airspeed is the airspeed being sent from the ADC to the flight control computers via the mission computers. An ADC failure inhibits the ATC cruise mode of operation. The FCC uses true airspeed from ADC via the mission computers at the time of engagement to generate a command signal. This signal is then used as a reference to generate an error signal that drives the engine mounted throttle control units. Normal disengagement is accomplished by pressing the ATC button or applying and holding force to either throttle. Automatic disengagement occurs for the following reasons:

Flaps HALF or FULL

ATC button fails

FCES channel 2 or 4 fails

FCS reversion to MECH or to DEL in any axis

Left and right throttle angles differ by more than 10° for more than 1 second

ADC true airspeed failure

ADC degrade

Any internal system failure

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IIRC correctly this would be the same as A/T mode on airliners after changeover speed or above ATC speed restriction level.

Edit: Some of the features we should be getting are actually very similar to Boeing airliner FCS pages. Top of climb best cruise and climb performance calculators and all that good stuff if you're used to flying tubeliners.

An IAS hold would be more like a combat auto throttle which would hold an airspeed to give you wing performance. The F-18 (if my reading of the NATOPS is correct) only gives you Cruise and Powered Approach mode. In cruise though you'd want TAS to be able to do your rules of thumb mental math for navigation with IAS being relatively useless for that at altitude.

Edited by dotChuckles

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GS is used for nav.

Except for, wind vectors, fuel use calculations, or anything involving movement through the air mass... which is my I said. "Mental math rules of thumb" and Mach is just a function of True Airspeed :-)

Edit: Stab in the dark... but I would think that the use of TAS gives you less granularity then the mach number to two decimal places perhaps? Making a couple of things easier in co-coordinating between other aircraft. Just guessing though. It's not the first time I've seen TAS referenced in military flying as opposed to civilian.

Edited by dotChuckles

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Holding constant TAS can exceed Mmo in airliner. I guess that's not a problem in F-18? I've never flown supersonic aircraft.

About "Mental math rules of thumb", no one really expect you to do that anymore. Glorious days of airline flights are long gone.

Do not expect fairness.

The times of chivalry and fair competition are long gone.

Holding constant TAS can exceed Mmo in airliner. I guess that's not a problem in F-18? I've never flied supersonic aircraft.

About "Mental math rules of thumb", no one really expect you to do that anymore. Glorious days of airline flights are long gone.

Haha! sadly true. I can still do a good few of those in my head. Always good as a confidence check though. 1:60 and drift rules are particularly handy still in sim flying. I've even been known to break out my CRP whizzwheel every now and then... just for fun :lol:

And you're probably on the money about the busting the MMo as well as the ATC in the F-18 can't hold above mil power so you can't really get above M1.0

Like I said in my edit above... and I am totally guessing here, but I think TAS would offer you less granularity (if i'm using that word correctly) in coordinating with other aircraft, think formation flying here. The difference between say M.88 and M.89 is larger then one unit of TAS. But I'm totally guessing with that. Maybe a military flyer could offer insight? It's not the first time I've seen TAS referenced in military flying, so they proably have a good reason for choosing it over mach.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Basically, it's IAS hold mode. You cannot select desired speed.

It's just like you car's cruise control...in that, you can't select the speed by dashboard entry either...but you can attain the speed you want and lock it there with ATC...My only question is that when you disengage ATC (A key bind), why can't you "Resume" by pressing "A" a second time? Hmmm, I know, that would require making another key bind (for erasing the set speed)

Edited by Alphamale

The strange thing for me is; the ATC works well: when I engage it, I see the throttles moving and keeping the airspeed I set, however, only one time did the "ATC" cue pop up in the HUD. Usually I don't get it, even though the ATC is clearly in effect. Anyone else see this?

The strange thing for me is; the ATC works well: when I engage it, I see the throttles moving and keeping the airspeed I set, however, only one time did the "ATC" cue pop up in the HUD. Usually I don't get it, even though the ATC is clearly in effect. Anyone else see this?

Sometimes I lose stuff on the HUD if I'm zoomed in and don't realize it not in normal viewing/zoom level. So see if backing up your view helps