Hey, just noticed this about the Sidewinder! :)

Aluminum Donkey

If you select the AIM-9 and point your aircraft's nose at the sun, you'll get tone!

Pretty funky :D

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

If you select the AIM-9 and point your aircraft's nose at the sun, you'll get tone!

Pretty funky :D

AD

Yes, but that is implemented for heaters since a veeery long while ago. ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Yes, but that is implemented for heaters since a veeery long while ago. ;)

OK, I just noticed it now... I don't tend to fire a lot of missiles trying to shoot down the sun :)

Since the F/A-18's radar currently sucks, I find I'm better off with Sidewinders than Sparrows. I can never seem to detect targets with the radar--not more than once, anyway, then they fade out, and I can't find 'em again.

Really hope ED gets this sorted out soon.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

OK, I just noticed it now... I don't tend to fire a lot of missiles trying to shoot down the sun :)

Since the F/A-18's radar currently sucks, I find I'm better off with Sidewinders than Sparrows. I can never seem to detect targets with the radar--not more than once, anyway, then they fade out, and I can't find 'em again.

Really hope ED gets this sorted out soon.

AD

A little off topic of the sun and IR stuff, but if you’re having a hard time keeping contacts on your radar in the bug, pull up the radar, bottom right select data. Top row all the way to the right you’ll see a number - typically it defaults to 2. Click through that and look at the numbers. This is the fade rate in seconds in which the contacts will fade. I generally go for 8 or 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goon

ASUS ROG Maximus VII |Intel i7-7700K@ 4.80Mhz|CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 @ 3000 |GTX 1080 Ti | Windows10-64bit| 3x24" Samsung 1080p| 1x 28" Samsung 4k| Thrustmaster Warthog| Saitek Rudder pedals| TrackIR 5 | Samsung Odyssey

A little off topic of the sun and IR stuff, but if you’re having a hard time keeping contacts on your radar in the bug, pull up the radar, bottom right select data. Top row all the way to the right you’ll see a number - typically it defaults to 2. Click through that and look at the numbers. This is the fade rate in seconds in which the contacts will fade. I generally go for 8 or 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! Thanx for pointing that out, Imma have to try it now :)

Still, it seems reasonable to me that radar contacts shouldn't fade after detection, and then be impossible to detect again. In the meantime this might be a decent workaround.

Kit:

Hey, just noticed this about the Sidewinder! ????

Awesome! Thanx for pointing that out, Imma have to try it now

Still, it seems reasonable to me that radar contacts shouldn't fade after detection, and then be impossible to detect again. In the meantime this might be a decent workaround.

Well, I’m not saying it’s not a bug or not, but there are a lot of things to consider when a contact falls off. Did they dip below or pop above your radar elevation? Did they mask themselves? Not saying these are always the causes, but something to keep in mind.

Goon

ASUS ROG Maximus VII |Intel i7-7700K@ 4.80Mhz|CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 @ 3000 |GTX 1080 Ti | Windows10-64bit| 3x24" Samsung 1080p| 1x 28" Samsung 4k| Thrustmaster Warthog| Saitek Rudder pedals| TrackIR 5 | Samsung Odyssey

Shooting Sidewinders into the sun does, apparently work. It's time related, though. Shoot at the sun in the morning and it takes about 12 hours to hit the sun and make it go out. Fortunately, it respawns the following day and you can shoot it down again. Try it in the afternoon! It doesn't take so long. Usually only a couple hours. A word of advice, though. It's very difficult to find the sun near the horizon at lunch time. I have researched it for days; it seems that you CAN find the sun near the horizon around lunch time only around the north and south poles, depending on the time of year. However, in summertime at the poles, you just cannot hit the sun with a Sidewinder... not sure why.

Edited by =Mac=

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

The Sun as heat source came around DCS 1.5. And then there is as well the moon as heat source.

But what I don't know when it was implemented, but the sun light refletions will as well generate heat signature to lock on, like oceans, rivers and in some cases even trees when sun comes at low angle.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Well, I’m not saying it’s not a bug or not, but there are a lot of things to consider when a contact falls off. Did they dip below or pop above your radar elevation? Did they mask themselves? Not saying these are always the causes, but something to keep in mind.

One thing I have noticed is that it helps in current limited radar functions to simply turn away from the target instead fly straight at them if having difficulties to spot them again.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

IRL if you shine a torch into the seaker head you will get a tone too.

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Still, it seems reasonable to me that radar contacts shouldn't fade after detection, and then be impossible to detect again.

Whether it seems reasonable or not, that's how a radar works. It can't point its energy everywhere at once.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

It’s pretty OP though... have fired at least 200 Missiles at it, but it’s still going strong. :joystick:

Shooting Sidewinders into the sun does, apparently work. It's time related, though. Shoot at the sun in the morning and it takes about 12 hours to hit the sun and make it go out. Fortunately, it respawns the following day and you can shoot it down again. Try it in the afternoon! It doesn't take so long. Usually only a couple hours. A word of advice, though. It's very difficult to find the sun near the horizon at lunch time. I have researched it for days; it seems that you CAN find the sun near the horizon around lunch time only around the north and south poles, depending on the time of year. However, in summertime at the poles, you just cannot hit the sun with a Sidewinder... not sure why.

The sun is just ridiculously OP right now ED really needs to fix this, just unplayable.

Eagerly anticipating DCS: Space Shuttle