SCS and switching between BVR and ACM radar modes: nor working or operator error?

Bearfoot

1. The manual says: "When in Beyond Visual Range (BVR) mode, pressing the Sensor Control Switch will set TDC control to the RADAR when on the right DDI. Pressing the Sensor Control Switch to the right when the TDC is already assigned to it will place the RADAR in Auto Acquisition (AACQ) mode".

BUT: I find that the above ONLY works when I am in A/A mode. If in NAV mode (not A/A and not A/G), and starting from RWS mode, pressing the SCS once will indeed set TDC control to the radar on the right DDI. But no amount of subsequent pressing takes me to AACQ. I have to explicitly select A/A mode to get this behavior.

2. The manual also says that when in BVR mode, pressing the SCS forward should "Switch to Air Combat Maneuvering (ACM) mode with Boresight being selected by default". Again, I do not get this when in NAV or A/G mode. I have to select A/A to get this behavior.

3. The manual also says that when in ACM modem Sensor Control Switch Right should "Exit ACM mode to Return To Search (RTS)". This, too, does not work for me. I have to select A/G or deselect A/A to get return to RWS. All the other ACM submodes can be selected using the SCS as per the manual, however.

So, basically it seems that for (1) and (2), I can only get the SCS to behave the way it is described by the manual when I am in A/A mode. But my reading of the manual implies that it should also work if I am in NAV mode (i.e., A/A mode not selected).

Similarly, for (3) -- I cannot use the SCS to RTS without commanding another mode.

Am I missing something?

It’s not working for me either. I was testing out some new NVidia graphics settings after I updated the vid drivers when I just noticed it... I figured I was doing something wrong too; it was working before the last update.

Edit: My BAD!! I wasn’t in AA mode - all looks good.

Edited by bradleyjs

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

Edit: My BAD!! I wasn’t in AA mode - all looks good.

Did you mean that you got it to work when you were not in AA mode, or that it only worked when you were in AA mode?

According to the manual, it (assuming by "it", you mean SCS FWD takes your to BST) should work when you are NOT in AA mode as well (as long as you are also not in AG mode).

Also, while in ACM mode, does SCS RIGHT take you back to RWS?

The SCS was inop when NOT in AA mode. Yes, I believe the RIGHT goes back to RWS but I did have to press a top OSB to get the TDC back. I just did a quick 2 min test to verify the AA mode issue - didn’t really go in-depth - that I will do tomorrow.

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

To go back to RWS from ACM you currently need to press the TDC button (lock target). It shouldn't be like that from what you guys are describing but that is how it works.

1&2 are expected behaviour. The SCS has different functions when in A/A or A/G mode. In Nav mode, you can also use it to select your DDI of interest like in A/G mode.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"DCS World is the main public build, it has nothing to do with being stable" -Bignewy

I will try that that today - seems like I did yesterday, but who knows I was in a hurry - the wife was nagging ... ;-))

Reading the manual closely, I find that the SCS-RIGHT to switch to AACQ if TDC is already assigned to the right DDI (only) work when in A2A mode, contra to my reading above. So the behavior I am getting is correct in that regard.

However what does not seem to (currently) work as described in the manual is SCS-RIGHT to return to RWS from ACM mode.