Seeding DCS updates

Cisco

Just a little status update on how much data is needed for DCS updates. This has now been running for the last half a month and based up the seeded date you see here you really get grips on how much data is needed for content delivery.

RI6QhJr.png

Here you can see the list of torrents in Tixati, just about the only client that can handle the bandwith and amount of torrents.

vMEgc6l.png

Here is the constant output of data that is being seeded. As you can see its a constant 15-20 Megabytes a second which is around 120 megabits a second.

htI9tyk.png

The monthly graph puts it even more into perspective.

The server is on a 10 gig connection in Norway. For updates to the platform i would like to run it closer to the HW itself by using a container over a VM. The only issue is to found a CLI based torrent client that i like and that can handle the amount of torrents.

IMHO it would be better if ED had all fewer torrents and just a big torrent file over the system used today. Torrents are fragmented into parts anyway so i dont think it would matter TOO much. However i dont know all the details.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team
IMHO it would be better if ED had all fewer torrents and just a big torrent file over the system used today.

Initially it was a big torrent file, from which clients downloaded only what they need. It turned out to have awful performance. A torrent is like a meeting point for the peers who needs the data. With one big torrent there's a lot of peers who do not meet each other expectations about having necessary pieces, and there's a lot of peer search i.e. waiting. However, there's still a room for optimization. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by c0ff

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Do EDs torrent servers run in containers? If yes, it would probably make it a lot easier for private hosters to run a server if the container was put on smth. like dockerhub.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Do EDs torrent servers run in containers? If yes, it would probably make it a lot easier for private hosters to run a server if the container was put on smth. like dockerhub.

Docker is pretty bad software. Would not use.

New torrent files are generated every update anyway. There is an email list you have to sign up for.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Docker is pretty bad software.

That's your opinion against the rest of the IT industry. ;)

I'm not saying you should open source the access credentials, just the server software stack to host the torrent.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

That's your opinion against the rest of the IT industry. ;)

I'm not saying you should open source the access credentials, just the server software stack to host the torrent.

Docker is a bad abstraction of LXC favored by people that dont do systemadministration on a large scale i.e software developers. There are plenty of good abstractions of LXC out there, like LXD.

OpenVZ is also another good peice of container software.

Yeah, docker is favoured by programmers that dont know how to sysadmin pretty much.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 8 months later...

Electorrent_2019-03-13_16-11-52.png

Seeding at 55 MB/s now. Is there any limits in the tracker? The data is downloaded to NVME and the server has a 10gbit connection. Should be able to seed more as long as the tracker allows for it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How do you separate the torrent from the updater? My updates frequently take 6-8 hours just for a 2GB package because the DL rates are stuck at 30Kb/s despite having 40+ peers on a 150Mb/s internet connection. I've been wondering if I can get better download speeds through a torrent software instead of using the DCS updater.

Being a part of the mailing list for seeding the DCS updates gives you access to all the torrent files. It is possible to extract this from your local files, somehow, but i am not familiar with the process.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]