Do we actually have realistic trim behaviour?

Eldur

In DCS, we constantly have to retrim pitch as speed changes...

Hmm, not in my experience. The airplane seems to trim itself just fine when the flaps are in AUTO. Hands-off the stick at 250 knots and 550 knots both give me zero pitch rate, without touching the trim.

I do notice that as I accelerate (especially from a slow speed), the nose pitches up a bit on its own. Maybe that's what you're seeing? But simply holding some forward pressure until about 300 knots works fine. The plane will trim itself out.

I haven't had to re-trim with speed changes. My experience is the same as what NoJoe mentions above.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

I’ve never had to touch trim other than during carrier approach and trimmin for on speed aoa. The only time I have thought I needed to it was my joystick. Easily proven by adding a small dead zone and the plane was no longer leaving level flight.

Just want to add that I have never have to use trim when flap is in auto position. This was both in the early access version and after the patch update.

Only in carrier and airfield landing approach have I had to use the trim. Speed lower than 250knt.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Yeah only time I really mess with the pitch trim is for my carrier landings.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Question: How do you set the trim for 14 deg or 16 deg depending on weight before launching on a carrier? Is this done thru the UFC?

1. Press Take Off Trim button .... sets Stab to 12 deg NU

2. With FCS display on DDI manually trim stab to required setting.

Ok I see that I can change the pitch, roll, and yaw from the stick input while watching the DDI. Now how do I lock it at, let's say 16?

There is no locking, it will reset after takeoff, wheels up flaps up for flight, so once back into normal flight conditions there is no need to trim. You will trim again once the FCS knows your in the landing config.

Also, it's hands-off for the cat launch, the aircraft will do the pull-up off the carrier.

attachment.php?attachmentid=187571&d=1529019987

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Coolie Hat??? Wow, that takes awhile for it to change just one degree...Do I make individual presses or just hold it up or down?

Not at home right now, I think I just tap? It's at 12 with TO trim set, so only 4 more taps to 16.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Coolie Hat??? Wow, that takes awhile for it to change just one degree...Do I make individual presses or just hold it up or down?

So I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume that your nickname is sarcastic, because for an alphamale you ask some simple questions.

When you have Flaps down half/full the trim is much more responsive and very easy to get to 16°/17°/19°, also observeable when landing.

Flaps auto trims really smoothly in very small increments which is perfect for in-flight trimming. All in all it is almost as if someone put thought into the FCS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"DCS World is the main public build, it has nothing to do with being stable" -Bignewy

In DCS, we constantly have to retrim pitch as speed changes...

Make sure to check your stick dead zone settings. In my case if I had none, the free play in stick was enough to fight with 1G auto trim once in Auto flaps. After setting some dead zone it is all fine and no manual trim required.

So I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and presume that your nickname is sarcastic, because for an alphamale you ask some simple questions.

When you have Flaps down half/full the trim is much more responsive and very easy to get to 16°/17°/19°, also observeable when landing.

Flaps auto trims really smoothly in very small increments which is perfect for in-flight trimming. All in all it is almost as if someone put thought into the FCS.

No, just retired. I used that name twenty years ago...check the profile

Make sure to check your stick dead zone settings. In my case if I had none, the free play in stick was enough to fight with 1G auto trim once in Auto flaps. After setting some dead zone it is all fine and no manual trim required.

Problem may lie in the coolie hat....the pot may be worn. But I have to wait about 30 secs with hat up or down to change just one degree

You can Tap or hold the coolie hat back your choice its easy to set any desired trim value using either method though hold and release until you see desired setting is the most efficient.

I think that's the problem. Since I don't really use the trim that much, I may have missed noticing it. I have to hold the hat up for around thirty seconds and then it changes just one degree...but it does this in all directions

Ok, I checked my settings on the Stick coolie hat...strange, they are all JOY_BTN_POV1 X, X=U, D, L, or R....I'm thinking that the sim sets this hat as a default "point of view" mini joystick and when I assigned this hat as Trim adjust Up, etc., it carried along the POV designation...does that sound right?

I always click in each joy stick category, Throttle and stick etc, then hit clear category, then I switch to axis using the menu and do the same. That clears out "ALL" the auto assigned buttons and axis to my controls.

The keyboard category commands can stay of course.

Then I bind my controls with a clean slate. When you assign your control to a hat button it's actually an 8 way POV hat. Make sure it is U, D, L, R

UR, LD and no Up right's or Left's down's are in there.

You can check your controls when in the DCS controls menu by hitting the button, it will jump to the action in the menu screen and show what was pressed. Test by doing that....

I always click in each joy stick category, Throttle and stick etc, then hit clear category, then I switch to axis using the menu and do the same. That clears out "ALL" the auto assigned buttons and axis to my controls.

The keyboard category commands can stay of course.

Then I bind my controls with a clean slate. When you assign your control to a hat button it's actually an 8 way POV hat. Make sure it is U, D, L, R

UR, LD and no Up right's or Left's down's are in there.

You can check your controls when in the DCS controls menu by hitting the button, it will jump to the action in the menu screen and show what was pressed. Test by doing that....

Thanks David, I found that the POV is assigned to that Hat by the controller manager, in this case CH Fighterstick. so now I have to remove that function of the controller software and replace it with keyboard presses with modifiers so I can assign Trimmer Left as Rctl + , for instance....it's ok, I'll figure it out thanks a lot