DCS: MiG-23MLA by RAZBAM

MrDieing

Not really an immense surprise since everyone more or less expected a MiG-23 and a Mud Hen eventually, but I'm still glad to see these announcements.

Excellent news, Razbam. I raise a glass to you.

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

I would rather have an MLD for its better maneuverability or an MF because it was the most prolific initial production version opposing the F-4E/F-15A/F-16A. But I will gladly take an MLA!

MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, MiG-23, MiG-29... just missing a MiG-17, MiG-25, and MiG-31 to complete the air superiority/interceptor collection. Kind of like Pokemon... gotta catch'em all!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We're not really missing much from the MLD anyhow. Maneuverability on prior floggers is still quite suitable for the tactical fighter role it is intended for, and making those improvements yourself is not out of the question for an end user to do.

Also, don't forget the Su-17 for getting rid of all those mean NATO SAMs that won't let your ASFs chase the enemy down, along with bombing the crap out of everything else :D

My Logitech Extreme3D Pro "Essentials" Profiles for FC3 and 25T:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/599930/

VERN0UL.png

Thrustmaster T.16000M, TWCS

FC3, F-5E, M2000C, AJS-37, C-101, F-14, NTTR

It isn't an excuse, it's a reality. You cannot make a high-fidelity aircraft if you do not actually have the data to do so. Pretty straightforward. Not sure why people like you have trouble with that.

-edit

Also, everyone who has been asking for a RedFor plane, put your money where your mouth is. You're getting one. Now buy it. And buy a couple copies for your friends. And a couple more for backup :)

Are you telling me they have full acces to a F-15E?? and a Mirage IIICJ?? OMG!! ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see a MiG-23 done, altought not sure I will be able to purchase it, but simply wanted the most capable and modern variant as possible.

Edited by Stratos

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

So in the end, what is the background story of the greenlight for this MiG-23 by Razbam, who got slapped in the face by ED last year ?

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

This is my dream ride for DCS Mig 23 MLA. with R24R/T

Now I gotta wait two years for it to be made hahah

The MiG-23 was the Soviet Air Force's "Top Gun"-equivalent aggressor aircraft from the late 1970s to the late 1980s. It proved a difficult opponent for early MiG-29 variants flown by inexperienced pilots. Exercises showed when well-flown, a MiG-23 could achieve favorable kill ratios against the MiG-29 in mock combat by using hit-and-run tactics and not engaging the MiG-29s in dogfights.

MiG-23ML

The early "Flogger" variants were intended to be used in high-speed missile attacks, but it was soon noticed that fighters often had to engage in more stressful close-in combat. Early production aircraft had actually suffered cracks in the fuselage during their service career. Maneuverability of the aircraft was also criticized. A considerable redesign of the airframe was performed, resulting in the MiG-23ML (L – lightweight), which made it in some ways a new aircraft. Empty weight was reduced by 1250 kg, which was achieved partly by removing a rear fuselage fuel tank. Aerodynamics were refined for less drag. The dorsal fin extension was removed. The lighter weight of the airframe resulted in a different sit on the ground, with the aircraft appearing more level when at rest compared to the nose-high appearance of earlier variants. This has led to a belief that the undercarriage was redesigned for the ML variant, but it is identical to earlier variants. The airframe was now rated for a g-limit of 8.5, compared to 8 g for the early generation MiG-23M/MF "Flogger-B". A new engine model, the R-35F-300, now provided a maximum dry thrust of 84 kN (18,800 lbf), and 127 kN (28,700 lb) with afterburner. This led to a considerable improvement in maneuverability and thrust-to-weight ratio. The avionics set was considerably improved as well. The S-23ML standard included Sapfir-23ML radar and TP-23ML IRST. The new radar was more reliable and a had maximum detection range of about 65 km against a fighter-sized target (25 km in look-down mode). The navigation suite received a new, much improved autopilot. New radio and datalink systems were also installed. The prototype of this variant first flew in 1976 and production began 1978.

Soviet MiG-23MLA "Flogger-G"

MiG-23MLA

("Flogger-G") The later production variant of the "ML" was redesignated the "MLA". Externally, the "MLA" was identical to "ML". Internally, the 'MLA' had an improved radar with better ECM resistance, which made co-operative group search operations possible as the radars would now not jam each other. It also had a new ASP-17ML HUD/gunsight, and the capability to fire improved Vympel R-24R/T missiles. Between 1978 and 1982, around 1,100 "ML/MLA"s were built for both the Soviet Air Force and export customers. As with the MiG-23MF, there were two different MiG-23ML sub-variants for export: the first version was sold to Warsaw Pact countries and was very similar to Soviet aircraft. The second variant had downgraded radar and it was sold to Third World allies

This is my dream ride for DCS Mig 23 MLA. with R24R/T

Now I gotta wait two years for it to be made hahah

The MiG-23 was the Soviet Air Force's "Top Gun"-equivalent aggressor aircraft from the late 1970s to the late 1980s. It proved a difficult opponent for early MiG-29 variants flown by inexperienced pilots. Exercises showed when well-flown, a MiG-23 could achieve favorable kill ratios against the MiG-29 in mock combat by using hit-and-run tactics and not engaging the MiG-29s in dogfights.

MiG-23ML

The early "Flogger" variants were intended to be used in high-speed missile attacks, but it was soon noticed that fighters often had to engage in more stressful close-in combat. Early production aircraft had actually suffered cracks in the fuselage during their service career. Maneuverability of the aircraft was also criticized. A considerable redesign of the airframe was performed, resulting in the MiG-23ML (L – lightweight), which made it in some ways a new aircraft. Empty weight was reduced by 1250 kg, which was achieved partly by removing a rear fuselage fuel tank. Aerodynamics were refined for less drag. The dorsal fin extension was removed. The lighter weight of the airframe resulted in a different sit on the ground, with the aircraft appearing more level when at rest compared to the nose-high appearance of earlier variants. This has led to a belief that the undercarriage was redesigned for the ML variant, but it is identical to earlier variants. The airframe was now rated for a g-limit of 8.5, compared to 8 g for the early generation MiG-23M/MF "Flogger-B". A new engine model, the R-35F-300, now provided a maximum dry thrust of 84 kN (18,800 lbf), and 127 kN (28,700 lb) with afterburner. This led to a considerable improvement in maneuverability and thrust-to-weight ratio. The avionics set was considerably improved as well. The S-23ML standard included Sapfir-23ML radar and TP-23ML IRST. The new radar was more reliable and a had maximum detection range of about 65 km against a fighter-sized target (25 km in look-down mode). The navigation suite received a new, much improved autopilot. New radio and datalink systems were also installed. The prototype of this variant first flew in 1976 and production began 1978.

Soviet MiG-23MLA "Flogger-G"

MiG-23MLA

("Flogger-G") The later production variant of the "ML" was redesignated the "MLA". Externally, the "MLA" was identical to "ML". Internally, the 'MLA' had an improved radar with better ECM resistance, which made co-operative group search operations possible as the radars would now not jam each other. It also had a new ASP-17ML HUD/gunsight, and the capability to fire improved Vympel R-24R/T missiles. Between 1978 and 1982, around 1,100 "ML/MLA"s were built for both the Soviet Air Force and export customers. As with the MiG-23MF, there were two different MiG-23ML sub-variants for export: the first version was sold to Warsaw Pact countries and was very similar to Soviet aircraft. The second variant had downgraded radar and it was sold to Third World allies

Nice job, Dirty Rotten Flieger!

PC: Intel Core i7-12700K| Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4| 2x 32GB DDR4 Kingston Fury Beast (KF436C18BBAK2/64)| PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil| 3x SSD-Drive (one for DCS only)| 3x HDD-Drive| Cougar Panzer Max| custom water cooling| Fedora Linux| Windows 11|

Gear: Meta Quest 3| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| MFG Crosswind v2| Leap motion controller|

Wasn’t that straight from Wiki?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Sorry for the stupid question but... doest the MLA have an RWR?

I didn't spot it in the wip cockpit but i was pretty sure it had the SPO-15.

Seems like it has the same one as Mig-21Bis but may some dev magic will give us an SPO-15 retrofit ;-)

The MLs, at least the Czech ones, to the best of my knowledge have the SPO-10 (like the MiG-21bis). The indicator is attached to the canopy frame on the left side. You can see it here: http://www.deton.lietadla.com/vyskov/vyber/ml/img_5834.jpg

You can see it on the screenshots in the original post in the same location, it's just hard to tell it's a SPO-10 indicator.

A fully modelled SPO-15 would be awesome but, oh well, we'll have to make do with the 10.

Edited by lmp