F16 ICP Project

Ranma13

• 1 year later...
On 11/8/2019 at 6:03 PM, Sierra99 said:

How are the potentiometers for the wheels mounted? I'm considering one of the Hispapanels kits but the lack of instructions is off putting.

Well it's been a while but I though I'd share how Simgears seems to have done it (and I think they got it pretty bang on right with the real deal). They're using a flat potentiometer, not sure if there's a better term for it but that's what it looks like. There : (Bourns 3382G/H)

Simgears-F16-ICP-LT-Product-005.jpg?fit=

search?q=F-16+ICP+simgears&tbm=isch&ved=https://www2.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bourns/3382G-1-103G?qs=AgBp2OyFlx%2FKuZqq5DE8cg%3D%3D

This component is mounted inside of a hub which itself is screwed into the backplate of the ICP assembly and capped by the wheel. Now I'm not really sure how they manage to keep the wheel from popping off, at least reliably, so on my end I added a gasket which will make it a pain to remove but why would you do that 😛

On a related note, what font are they using for the writings on the ICP (it is not MS33558) ? I simply cannot find it but @Ranma13 either did it himself (respect) or found it since on the first picture it looks pretty much like it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

4 hours ago, Rex854Warrior said:

Well it's been a while but I though I'd share how Simgears seems to have done it (and I think they got it pretty bang on right with the real deal). They're using a flat potentiometer, not sure if there's a better term for it but that's what it looks like. There : (Bourns 3382G/H)

Bourns call it a "rotary position sensor".  I think that's because it's a potentiometer with no end stop - it just keeps rotating.
And without knowing how those wheels work (stops, etc.), it's possible that could be what the real ones use.

16 hours ago, Rex854Warrior said:

On a related note, what font are they using for the writings on the ICP (it is not MS33558) ? I simply cannot find it but @Ranma13 either did it himself (respect) or found it since on the first picture it looks pretty much like it.

Indeed it cannot be MS33558, b/c ICP has a non-alphanumeric character, ‘-‘. See here,  https://www.hempstick.org/The_Official_Hempstick_Site/F16_Landing_Gear_Panel.html, for my findings. In short, try Gordon font (commercial product.)

Note that, I don’t have a real ICP panel. That 3D model Ranma13 used was modeled by Kumrik. However, from all the real F16 panels I have on my shelf, I can take a good guess that Gordon font will do you good.

15 hours ago, No1sonuk said:

Bourns call it a "rotary position sensor".  I think that's because it's a potentiometer with no end stop - it just keeps rotating.
And without knowing how those wheels work (stops, etc.), it's possible that could be what the real ones use.

330° adjustement angle as per the datasheet, which is still too much regardless, the wheels should turn about 180° so bumstops are required. What Simgears did is pretty well though out so I just, lets say, took inspiration from it.

3 hours ago, Hempstead said:

Indeed it cannot be MS33558, b/c ICP has a non-alphanumeric character, ‘-‘. See here,  https://www.hempstick.org/The_Official_Hempstick_Site/F16_Landing_Gear_Panel.html, for my findings. In short, try Gordon font (commercial product.)

Note that, I don’t have a real ICP panel. That 3D model Ranma13 used was modeled by Kumrik. However, from all the real F16 panels I have on my shelf, I can take a good guess that Gordon font will do you good.

That gordon font ? https://www.ffonts.net/Gordon-Regular.font

I must not have found the right one since it doesn't seem to have a hyphen either. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll keep looking.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nope, not that Gordon. It's Gordon URW. This one, https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/urw/gordon/

I am sure you can try that free Gordon. It's close too. As long as you are consistent on all panels, nobody will be able to tell unless they put a real panel right next to yours. Even my real F16 panel use different fonts, see the picture of my two Oxygen panels. 

IMG_1556.png

'-' like in the screenshot below?

I actually opened MS33558 font file with Fontographer on my old old old machine before its harddrive died, and there weren't any non-alphanumeric chars in there.

As you can see below. Helvetica Neue Light is close, but a bit too "big and wide", but it's not unlike the Oxygen panel on top. Reducing the size might fool the unwary. And on some of the panels, I actually had to use Gordon URW Condensed Regular to get that "squeezed" look to fit the text in the space. That.... I can't find equivalent in any other font other than Gordon URW.

Screen Shot 2022-01-16 at 3.36.48 PM.png

Edited by Hempstead

On 1/16/2022 at 2:13 AM, No1sonuk said:

I owe you sir an apology, the datasheet is misleading. There is no end stop  (just received a couple). They work great but beware they offer no significant resistance unlike some of these larger pots.

@Hempstead Yeah the fonts are kinda all over the place, shame, out of all the liberties I took that was not really part of them. Thanks a lot, Gordon URW Condensed looks quite promising indeed. I can always draw the few characters that don't match on my own, worse case scenario, like the 1, fairly easy, even the hyphen really. Parametric modelling software for creating fonts lol.

Edited by Rex854Warrior
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]