HUDs

How does one get the light beams to focous into infinity so that the pilot can focous on both the HUD and what is outside the cockpit? I want to try to build my own model HUD to try to replicate this, (with out moving parts, just a solid, non moving, light beam) but this is quite difficult.

Any info on how this is done would be much appreciated.

If this is an impossibility for me to replicate, please say so, i wouldn't want to waste soo much time. however, please still post information on the focousing part.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Then how does the HUD work? I'm almost sure you can..., so lond as the light is being focoused into "infinity" or what ever...

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Aeroscout as SK has hinted you may need high precision optics, thats not easy to come by, expensive and hard to design. I wish you good luck.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Is there something special about the glass. Is the RL HUD the same idea in the flight sim one in SwingKid's link?

Thanks soo much. that 1st site is reall good.

thanks guys, if you have any more info, please tell me. :)

Aeroscout, most people seem to be confused about the definition of 'colimated'.

A colimated light beam is one that has a constant spot size along any point of the beem, parallel if you will.

Images in the far field, i.e. objects viewed from a large distance, approximate this criterion.

The human eye operates via this method and 'auto-focuses' the image at 'infinity'.

Therefore if you combine the collimated light beams from the HUD projector with those from out the front of the aircraft far away (such as a target) they will be in the same plane of focus and appear as one image.

That is also the reason why when you move your head, the HUD image seems to be the same size and 'ground stabalised' i.e. self aligning as we can see in the BS movies.

Hope that clears things up and does not confuse things further :p

How does one get the light beams to focous into infinity so that the pilot can focous on both the HUD and what is outside the cockpit? I want to try to build my own model HUD to try to replicate this, (with out moving parts, just a solid, non moving, light beam) but this is quite difficult.

Any info on how this is done would be much appreciated.

If this is an impossibility for me to replicate, please say so, i wouldn't want to waste soo much time. however, please still post information on the focousing part.

It should be possible to do, but here is a complete one...allthough it's not cheap. But it's just PnP with LockOn as well as Falcon :)

http://www.simmeters.com/products.html