F18 MFD exports now work with a very quick tweak.

Cowboy10uk

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found that these settings in the RWR init file made my exported RWR readable again. However, it makes the in game cockpit RWR symbols almost invisible. I chose to have my exported one work.

D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\TEWS\indicator\RWR_ALR67_init.lua

shaderLineParamsUpdatable = true

shaderLineDefaultThickness = 0.08

shaderLineDefaultFuzziness = 0.03

shaderLineDrawAsWire = false

shaderLineUseSpecularPass = true

Same for me !!!

Thanks Dud' I think I tried everything written about this issue...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

EVAC : French virtual fighter school on DCS-World

Will this ever be fixed?

Hacking up LUA's and dealing with a crappy HUD are not a viable longterm workarounds. :cry:

I agree, I edit my lua file and have to redo it after every update, not a real big deal but a permanent fix would be great.:thumbup:

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

• 2 months later...
Is there any way to alter stroke thickness and fuzzines separately for the hud? I have to choose between readeable export or readable hud

I have the same issue. I have either amazing exports and a barely readable HUD or the opposite. I've tried tweaking numbers in the HUD luas but I don't see any difference in the result.

So i've compromised. In my MDG_strokesDefs.lua I just split the difference between default and what made my exports look good.

Hopefully somebody knows of a way to edit the HUD separately.

Count me in on this too. My exports look great and I can actually read them now, but because the MFCD's and HUD are tied together in one configuration LUA, making one readable makes the other unreadable. My HUD symbology is so thin that some of it disappears. It's hard enough trying to read alight yellow font HUD against a lite colored sky.

I don't really care if the in cockpit MFCD's are readable with the exported ones being larger and readable. It seems a little strange to me to have the font's for an in cockpit LCD screen tied to an external HUD without any way to adjust for differences in light and background except for day/night switches seems a little strange.

Edited by RackMonkey

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

Possible solution

Hey guys,

I was shooting in the dark yesterday trying to find a answer to this problem and I found one that works for me on the F18 at least. I havent tried it with the A10 yet.

This is the text of the MDG_strokesDefs.lua file as I have modified it. This starts with a Readability mod from another one of our flyers, so, credit where credit is due. i wouldn't have had any idea where to start without it.

I run a 40in 4K TV as my primary display and it is currently at 3840x2160. I have exported both DDI's and the AMPCD to a 23in 1920x1080 and increased their size to to 600x600 pixels for the DDI's and 700x675 for the AMPCD. It make finding targets with the TPOD a whole lot easier when using the AMPCD B&W over the green of the DDI's.

stroke_thickness = 0.0

stroke_fuzziness = 0.4

-- Currently is used for DMC generated fonts black outline

DMC_outline_thickness = stroke_thickness * 1

DMC_outline_fuzziness = stroke_fuzziness * 1

DMC_stroke_thickness = 0.0

DMC_stroke_fuzziness = 0.4

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I was shooting in the dark yesterday trying to find a answer to this problem and I found one that works for me on the F18 at least. I havent tried it with the A10 yet.

This is the text of the MDG_strokesDefs.lua file as I have modified it. This starts with a Readability mod from another one of our flyers, so, credit where credit is due. i wouldn't have had any idea where to start without it.

I run a 40in 4K TV as my primary display and it is currently at 3840x2160. I have exported both DDI's and the AMPCD to a 23in 1920x1080 and increased their size to to 600x600 pixels for the DDI's and 700x675 for the AMPCD. It make finding targets with the TPOD a whole lot easier when using the AMPCD B&W over the green of the DDI's.

stroke_thickness = 0.0

stroke_fuzziness = 0.4

Originally Posted by RightStuff

Just a quick solution concerning blurry fonts on the DDIs:

In ...\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\Common\indicator\MDG_strokesDefs.lua

change the follwing values:

Old:

stroke_thickness = 0.8

stroke_fuzziness = 0.5

New:

stroke_thickness = 0.4

stroke_fuzziness = 0.2

This will enhance the fonts and make them more readable.

Pls keep this in mind:

I have have neither tested more/other values nor influences on other fonts (HUD maybe?).

And do not to forget to set shaderLineDrawAsWire back to false. Zeen already made a headsup on this.

to

shaderLineDrawAsWire = true

\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\MDI_IP1556A\indicator\MDI_init.lua

and

\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\AMPCD\indicator\AMPCD_init.lua

Otherwise the fonts will still look garbled, no matter what values you're going to use for the stroke_...

Maybe someone like to support here by testing other values?

I found that these settings in the RWR init file made my exported RWR readable again. However, it makes the in game cockpit RWR symbols almost invisible. I chose to have my exported one work.

D:\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\TEWS\indicator\RWR_ALR67_init.lua

shaderLineDefaultThickness = 0.08

shaderLineDefaultFuzziness = 0.03

stroke_thickness = 0.0

stroke_fuzziness = 0.4

1466597778_CrappyExports.thumb.jpg.4a3a7f113b18f30e256740b6a5d2a623.jpg

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

LOL,, I dont know what happened to my above post, but what I started saying was that I have been tinkering with this with poor results. I consolidated some of the notes in here.

Rackmonkey, Where is this "Readability" MOD you speak of? Thanks,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

"Readability" MOD,,, Bueller?

• 1 month later...

Good Morning Guys,

I'd like to have the Right and Left MFD in cockpit view.

I've already exported them in the cockpit view without problems, the are clearly visile and functioning.

The only problema I've to solve is the background that in my case is transparent.

Anyone could suggest to me how make the background black?

Thanks in advance…

Giovanni

n

Monitors and 4" LCD panels

Here Other lcd panel & monitors stuffs:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Open-Frame-7-8-10-Touch_62526346256.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.124499caVNKJL8

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/New-square-MIPI-interface-4-inch_62263294034.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.4a286bc4utNrUx&s=p

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/720-720-resolution-3-inch-square_62003390420.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.4a286bc4utNrUx

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/SHARP-LS029B3SX02-mipi-40-pins-2_62343297732.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.4a286bc4utNrUx

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Leehon-480-480-5-inch-tft_60733061220.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.4a286bc4utNrUx

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/LS029B3SX02-2-9inch-mipi-1440-1440_1960719581.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.4a286bc4utNrUx

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/4inch-square-480-480-TFT-LCD_62024164862.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.4a286bc4utNrUx

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/4-square-UART-display-with-480_60819483024.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.0.0.4a286bc4utNrUx

I'm currently working through getting my MFD's onto a second monitor and finding I cant read things like the laser code on the Stores station. Reading through the various posts it looks like the current accepted method is to edit

MDG_strokesDefs.lua

With something along the lines of:

stroke_thickness = 0.0

stroke_fuzziness = 0.4

And that modifying the references in the MDI_Init and AMPCD_init files has no effect. It looks like editing the above however also mucks up the RWR and HUD fonts. Can someone confirm if thats the current state of play?

Also can anyone comment if modifying this file mucks up the MP integrity check?

It seems like F/A-18 does this differently to A-10 as Ive also found I cant selective turn off in cockpit MFD's like I could with the A-10C

Personally Im finding on a 27" screen at 1920x1080 I cant easily read the DDI in cockpit without having to lean in, but I cant read the external DDI because its blurry.

Has anyone played around with the resolution assigned to the outputs? I have all 3 set at 400x400 at the moment, but not sure if that should have the aspect ratio applied to it. I haven't got my final monitor yet so I haven't finalised the config of my files but working off what I can see at present Im not sure the external DDI will be useable without wrecking the HUD.

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

I'm currently working through getting my MFD's onto a second monitor and finding I cant read things like the laser code on the Stores station. Reading through the various posts it looks like the current accepted method is to edit

MDG_strokesDefs.lua

With something along the lines of:

stroke_thickness = 0.0

stroke_fuzziness = 0.4

And that modifying the references in the MDI_Init and AMPCD_init files has no effect. It looks like editing the above however also mucks up the RWR and HUD fonts. Can someone confirm if thats the current state of play?

Also can anyone comment if modifying this file mucks up the MP integrity check?

It seems like F/A-18 does this differently to A-10 as Ive also found I cant selective turn off in cockpit MFD's like I could with the A-10C

Personally Im finding on a 27" screen at 1920x1080 I cant easily read the DDI in cockpit without having to lean in, but I cant read the external DDI because its blurry.

Has anyone played around with the resolution assigned to the outputs? I have all 3 set at 400x400 at the moment, but not sure if that should have the aspect ratio applied to it. I haven't got my final monitor yet so I haven't finalised the config of my files but working off what I can see at present Im not sure the external DDI will be useable without wrecking the HUD.

This seems to work really well. My AMPCD is a blurry green text on the HELIOS screen, not sure if thats an import/export issue...still searching on that one. THANKS again as that made a HUGE difference on my 2560x1440 screens. Helios another story due to DCS's export issues.

Edited by bad_turbulence

I may have a solution for you guys...

RWR.png

With the default settings the virtual cockpit would be showing an 'N' here, but the extraction would look like an '|'. So in my monitor file I have:

F18_RWR =

{

x = 3456;

y = 0;

width = 256;

height = 256;

}

And in the RWR_ALR67_init.lua:

shaderLineDefaultThickness = 15.0 --0.8

shaderLineDefaultFuzziness = 5.0 --0.4

-- Capt Zeen mod

dofile(LockOn_Options.common_script_path.."ViewportHandling.lua")

try_find_assigned_viewport("F18_RWR")

--

In other words, massively increased the line thickness and fuzziness. Although these can probably be wound back a little, which might make the virtual cockpit view look more reasonable.

I also found that there seems to be a relationship between the size of the exported RWR region and the line thickness / fuzziness. As I make the region bigger I have to increase these numbers accordingly.

Mine shows the "N" you speak of on the RWR (Helios). What does that stand for and it's off-center to the left. Is that just a Monitors.lua tweak thing?

• 2 months later...

A bit of a bump. Since the last patch, the line width tweak seems to be interpreted differently and I can barely see contacts on SA page and Radar both in game and on exported monitors. Posting before I have a chance to search the thread to see if I can find the default widths/weights.

Member of TAW-North America.

Practices Thursdays at 2045 Eastern. Missions Sundays at 1945 Eastern.

F/A-18C | A-10C | AV-8B | M2000C | Huey | KA-50

yes something has changed as my extracts for the MFD and ampcd are all fuzzy now. Somehow they are tied to the HUD.

I hope these get reviewed as the mfd exports are completely unusable right now. Bignewy any input on this.

Edited by gunterlund21

I was in Art of the Kill D#@ it!!!!

A bit of a bump. Since the last patch, the line width tweak seems to be interpreted differently and I can barely see contacts on SA page and Radar both in game and on exported monitors. Posting before I have a chance to search the thread to see if I can find the default widths/weights.

My thread got buried in the mods section... Try this, maybe it works for you as well.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4422969&postcount=3

PC Specs: Win10, 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5CL30@6000Mhz, ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X, 2x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, LG OLED42C2, Pico 4
Flight Sim Gear: VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip with WarBRD Base and 6cm extension, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC SharKa-50 Collective Grip with Rotor TCS Plus Base, BRD-F1 Rudders(Su-35), 3x8"LCD 1024x768 with TM-MFDs, DIY dashboard with 60 buttons and 8 axis MMJOY2, POV-HAT(no TrackIR)
Aircraft: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, F-5E, Mig-21bis, Mig-15bis, AH-64D, Mi-24P, Mi-8MTV2, Black Shark 2 & 3, Uh-1H, FC3, SpitfireLFMkIX, P-51D, I-16, Mosquito FB VI, Bf109K-4
Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, Channel, Sinai

Tech: WWII Assets Pack, Supercarrier

• 2 years later...

I am trying to export the IFEI to my second monitor following posts earlier in this thread but not having any luck! I have two 1920X1080 displays side by side for a total size of 3840X1080. I have attached my IFEI_init.lua and Monitorsetup which is named Apache.lua. All three MFCDs work fine.

Apache.lua IFEI_init.lua

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor 3.4 GHz

32 Gb RAM, Nvidea GTX 1050 TI

Water Cooled, Windows 10 64 bit

You're halfway there. You've edited the correct file to get the IFEI to export, and created a new viewport named FA_18C_IFEI. Now you just need to tell DCS where you want that viewport to be rendered in your monitor config file (Apache.lua in your case). 

Copy and paste one of the existing viewports and change the header name to FA_18C_IFEI, then define it's size and position to where you want it.