Improving visuals under VR for boat recoveries

swimbody

Hey folks,

Anyone have a good settings gouge for VR detail. I know that the headset creates a screen door effect. I upped my memory to 32G and I can max out a lot but it's probably not going to help me see the ball crisply like TrackIR folks see. Any thoughts? Yes I modded the ball to the bigger size so I could see it but beyond that it is blurry and I fly based on sight picture AOA and LSO call outs.

Have any other VR guys found a sweet spot for visuals?

Thanks

Hey folks,

Anyone have a good settings gouge for VR detail. I know that the headset creates a screen door effect. I upped my memory to 32G and I can max out a lot but it's probably not going to help me see the ball crisply like TrackIR folks see. Any thoughts? Yes I modded the ball to the bigger size so I could see it but beyond that it is blurry and I fly based on sight picture AOA and LSO call outs.

Have any other VR guys found a sweet spot for visuals?

Thanks

What kind of HMD are you using?

VR at the moment is very limited for DCS because it is very difficult to read the instruments, panels, screens and other things like the ball.

Better wait for the next generation with higher resolution and fov.

------=:: I FLY BLEIFREI ::=------

VR at the moment is very limited for DCS because it is very difficult to read the instruments, panels, screens and other things like the ball.

Utter rubbish, I can read all instruments and see the ball no problem as many others can as well.

OP, try the VR default setting.

This is what I'm doing. Although I sometimes hear people saying they can see, I don't really trust it knowing that the resolution is so bad compared to a monitor. I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to do VR but I'd rather not spend $600 or more to find out I can't see my instruments and/or targets.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

This is what I'm doing. Although I sometimes hear people saying they can see, I don't really trust it knowing that the resolution is so bad compared to a monitor. I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to do VR but I'd rather not spend $600 or more to find out I can't see my instruments and/or targets.

Why would anyone lie about it?

Not wanting to start a useless debate but 2160x1200 isn't "so bad" compared to my 2560x1440 monitor. And the entry price tag is closer to $400 than $600 right now. But people complaining about VR being so bad are usually those who didn't try it. I know many simmers who tried both options, and only one of them actually went back to their monitor setup.

92nd Kodiak Air Force - May the Greuh be with you

Salut 92nd-MajorBug. You know it of course but 2160x1200 is for both eyes. The actual image you see in Rift is 1080x1200, and even less because rendered image on Rift's screen is bigger than what you see through lenses.

So of course seeing well small and far objects need a compensation with Rift : labels to be able to detect objects. But to be able to see well the "ball" without using zoom (zoom is not very convenient on final approach) we need an other kind of compensation : IMO a 2d representation of the "meatball" like you make comm menu to appear.

Not wanting to start a useless debate but 2160x1200 isn't "so bad" compared to my 2560x1440 monitor. And the entry price tag is closer to $400 than $600 right now. But people complaining about VR being so bad are usually those who didn't try it. I know many simmers who tried both options, and only one of them actually went back to their monitor setup.

I tried VR and sent it back. Not everyone has to make a song and dance about it. Hopefully Pimax/CV2 make things crisper.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

I tried VR and sent it back. Not everyone has to make a song and dance about it. Hopefully Pimax/CV2 make things crisper.

My mate was going to send his back but asked me to test it first. It was set up all wrong and he wasn't even looking through the optical sweetspot. After I sorted it for him he said he'd never return to a monitor.

Why would anyone lie about it?

I didn't say anyone has lied, but I have seen people say it's hard to see, mainly instruments and targets. I've also read where people think it's amazing and they can see just fine but, it's pretty subjective. For all I know people are ok with low res/blurry without leaning in and it's not worth $400-600 to me to try out without being sure. That's why personally, I will wait until they are closer to the clarity of a monitor. TBH, everyone I've flow with, except for one, has said they couldn't see well, but it felt cool. The one person that could see everything had used several third party programs and tweeks just to see the instruments.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

I didn't say anyone has lied, but I have seen people say it's hard to see, mainly instruments and targets. I've also read where people think it's amazing and they can see just fine but, it's pretty subjective. For all I know people are ok with low res/blurry without leaning in and it's not worth $400-600 to me to try out without being sure. That's why personally, I will wait until they are closer to the clarity of a monitor. TBH, everyone I've flow with, except for one, has said they couldn't see well, but it felt cool. The one person that could see everything had used several third party programs and tweeks just to see the instruments.

Not sure why anyone would need third party programs to see the instruments, I certainly have no trouble. And if they are really small a quick VR zoom handles that just fine.

But no doubt resolution is not there yet, whilst I love my Rift and use it on a daily basis and would never go back to monitor, I so look forward to the next generation Rift.

But omg that gorgeous F/A 18-C cockpit in VR is something to behold.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

There’s nothing subjective about it. If your eyes work properly or you have sorted them with glasses or contacts and you have everything working properly then all is good.

Another thing that may not be so obvious...

if you need glasses for DISTANCE, you WILL NEED THEM IN VR. If you think the screens in the VR headset are only an inch from my eyes so i wont need my glasses... you are wrong and your experience will be miserable.

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

I can make out the ball on the carrier at just over a mile, ample room for CV1 approaches, and definitely workable for night approaches.

The resolution isn’t what you get from a monitor, but I’d never go back to a monitor.

Lots of people that have never tried VR like to badmouth it on the internet, maybe it’s sour grapes....IDK.

I can make out the ball on the carrier at just over a mile, ample room for CV1 approaches, and definitely workable for night approaches.

The resolution isn’t what you get from a monitor, but I’d never go back to a monitor.

Lots of people that have never tried VR like to badmouth it on the internet, maybe it’s sour grapes....IDK.

4K monitor/TIR buyers’ remorse.

I think of the problems with current generation of HMD is that the sweet spot is very small. You have to really play with the positioning of the HMD and you'll see a big difference. I can see most things, others require a quick lean in or VR zoom. Harrier and FA18 probably have the best cockpits for VR. Huey is not bad either. A10C is probably on the lower end of the scale. Make sense given the age of the sim. And if you are near-sighted, you *have* to wear glasses like someone already pointed out.

And while the limitations of lower resolution is certainly valid, the ability to just look and fly is something that has to be felt/experience. Weird given that it's how we interact with things in real life. The one thing I will say about VR is that it made touch and go's fun to do. I don't mind at all taking off just to land again and getting it down pat. I would *NEVER* do that (never did) with TrackIR and triple monitor setup. It's so boring. But with VR, I find myself doing things like touch and go because it's fun to *fly* the plane!

I would say that Pimax's new version is supposed to be coming out in the next three-four months. So it might make sense to see what those reviews are like I'm KS backer so I'll definitely write a review.

But even as I wait for the new Pimax and CV2's of the world, I still love DCS in VR. As for things being subjective, there is truth to that. For example, I bought and sent back Odyssey because I didn't see a huge difference. But others have said there is a CLEAR difference. So it may be a function of how good your eye sight is. LOL, maybe VR folks should be required to put their prescription in the .sig :D net/net is that the upside of VR flying more than offsets the downside. For me, that is. To each his own. After all, what do I care if someone uses it or not? But I will tell you this, VR is *THE FUTURE* for DCS. In a few years, we'll all be laughing about using TrackIR's and multi monitors. Why am I so sure? Because we don't talk about lack of depth perception, 3D spatial awareness, situational awareness, ability terrain associate, sense of speed, etc. when talking about 2D monitors (4K or not). Because we know it's not possible to represent 3D with a 2D monitor - no matter the clarity/resolution. Terrain association is one of those things that you simply CANNOT do well because of the 2D limitation.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

And just as expected here comes the same useless debate again. That particular horse has been dead for quite a while now.

The OP only wanted to know what he could do to see the ball more easily, some settings tweaks and/or using the VR zoom should do the trick, the end.

Misinformation always needs to be addressed. Look away if you not interested but remember not everyone is as well informed as you.

I don't know what is the "ball" you are talking about, since I do not own f/a-18 yet, but I fly exclusively in VR and have no issues both with a-10c and ka-50, that are the oldest modules and then maybe less VR optimized than newest f/a-18. No difficult in seeing instruments, targets are a little more difficult to spot but you can get used (I do not use labels, neither modified with a single dot, since IMHO they terribly brake immersion). Consider that increasing pixel density makes targets a little more difficult to see. Just to be clear, I do not play with two 1080ti SLI; I just have a 1070. I keep pixel density to 1 and AA x2. Yes, the resolution is not comparable to a monitor, but if you set textures high you can see the instruments with no problem; also you can use VR zoom in those (very few) cases you need a closer look to your instruments. Yes, I need prescription glasses for distance, and I have third party insert mounts with my prescription lenses and they works very well: you can see like you are wearing glasses but without the discomfort of bulky frames. If you don't try VR you can not understand. Your situational awareness with VR is tens of times higher than with a monitor; you can fly keeping all your instruments checked with one sight, just like IRL; flying (and landing!) helicopters is a lot easier since you have deep perception that neither a 4k monitor can give you; you are sit inside your cockpit and so you do not have to spend thousands of € ($) to build a home cockpit, since you wear your HMD and you are inside it; and so on. Yes, when we'll have HMDs with a perceived resolution similar to even just a full-hd monitor (and the suited VGAs to run them), then there will be no more story: it will be impossible to play a flight simulator without a HMD. But even now, even with all its limits, IMHO if you try VR you cannot go back to fly with monitor. Today an oculus rift is about € 400, less than what you need to get a gtx1070. Price can't be an excuse anymore (not for people playing DCS - and other flight sims I imagine - as his main hobby).

Edited by nessuno0505

I think of the problems with current generation of HMD is that the sweet spot is very small. You have to really play with the positioning of the HMD and you'll see a big difference. I can see most things, others require a quick lean in or VR zoom. Harrier and FA18 probably have the best cockpits for VR. Huey is not bad either. A10C is probably on the lower end of the scale. Make sense given the age of the sim. And if you are near-sighted, you *have* to wear glasses like someone already pointed out.

And while the limitations of lower resolution is certainly valid, the ability to just look and fly is something that has to be felt/experience. Weird given that it's how we interact with things in real life. The one thing I will say about VR is that it made touch and go's fun to do. I don't mind at all taking off just to land again and getting it down pat. I would *NEVER* do that (never did) with TrackIR and triple monitor setup. It's so boring. But with VR, I find myself doing things like touch and go because it's fun to *fly* the plane!

I would say that Pimax's new version is supposed to be coming out in the next three-four months. So it might make sense to see what those reviews are like I'm KS backer so I'll definitely write a review.

But even as I wait for the new Pimax and CV2's of the world, I still love DCS in VR. As for things being subjective, there is truth to that. For example, I bought and sent back Odyssey because I didn't see a huge difference. But others have said there is a CLEAR difference. So it may be a function of how good your eye sight is. LOL, maybe VR folks should be required to put their prescription in the .sig :D net/net is that the upside of VR flying more than offsets the downside. For me, that is. To each his own. After all, what do I care if someone uses it or not? But I will tell you this, VR is *THE FUTURE* for DCS. In a few years, we'll all be laughing about using TrackIR's and multi monitors.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. I too am waiting to hear how the new Pimax 8k performs when it comes out. A couple of the guys I fly with will have it. I'd love to move to VR, the thought of it seems great. I'm just cautious with spending that much money until I'm sure it's where I personally would want it to be visually.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. I too am waiting to hear how the new Pimax 8k performs when it comes out. A couple of the guys I fly with will have it. I'd love to move to VR, the thought of it seems great. I'm just cautious with spending that much money until I'm sure it's where I personally would want it to be visually.

I had an opportunity to sit in a full motion Huey and B52 simulators. It was pretty awesome. Huey was instrument only, and B52 was with screens. I would still take my VR setup over those full motion sims! :D

Give it a few months to see what Pimax 8K is or isn't. But if it turns out it's not all that's cracked up to be, you have to consider the opportunity cost of not using VR for another year or more. Not sure when CV2 is projected to come out .

Anyway, you of all people should be able to take full advantage of VR given your profession. :thumbup:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1