Campaign documentation+instant mission ''end'' on overstepping mission parameters?

sc_neo

Hey,

i have two questions: i don't find any campaign documentation pdfs etc. in the ....\Mods\campaigns\L-39 Kursant folder like there is for EDs Red Flag campaigns for instance. Am i missing something or is all relevant info relayed via ingame mission briefings and voiceovers?

Second, is it intended that when you break through mission flight parameters (speed, altitude etc.) that the mission instantly quits? That happend to me on the first mission. I think its neither immersive nor does it give you the opportunity to train a bit with whatever the task is. I feel it would be better if the trainer would simply state that you failed and that you should go back to the airfiled and land an shut down.

• ED Team
I was going close to 400kmh on the initial take off climb instead of advised 350. I try it again tonight.

YOU ARE NOT MAINTAINING AIRSPEED

STUDY MORE AND WE WILL TRY TOMORROW

Free flight in the training mission "Circular Pattern".

Btw; i am still not really clear about flying a correct pattern. Are turns 1 and 2 and then 3 and 4 supposed to be flown in a continous 180° half circle or should we roll out after the first turn (after 90°), fly like 5-10 sec. straight, and then initiate turn 2 for another 90° to get roughly 5-6km distance to the airfield on the downwind leg? And the same then for turns 3 and 4?

Because, i feel if i do turns 1 and 2 in one continous 45° bank turn, i am rather close to the airfield. The manual and training mission advise way less than 45° bank, the manual says 20° for instance, which increases the radius and puts one 5ish km away from the airfield when downwind. Just curious what the correct way to do it in the campaign.

EDIT: disregard the above question, i have a better idea what the pattern should look like by going back to the manual. I still got a question about the exit degree values for the third and fourth turns. So i gather that one generally should exit the third turn at an angle of +20° to the runway heading (in this mission thus 60° for a runway heading of 39°). So far, so good. It then says one should start the fourth turn when the runway is at 10-15°. Is this meant to be a visual estimate looking out of the cockpit or is this meant as a readout from the ndb and rsbn signals on the hsi and adf indicators? I just want to learn it properly this time so it sticks :)

Edited by sc_neo

Hi all stuck on the first lesson.... no matter what I do...

I get repeat Lesson

Flaps 25

maximum Rpm

tried everything following the briefing to get this right... never went into the max rpm and hit the flaps on both take off and landing in the right spots.. need some documentation on where in the flight I may need to fix my flying or is this a bug?

any help appreciated Cheers

• ED Team
.. Is this meant to be a visual estimate looking out of the cockpit or is this meant as a readout from the ndb and rsbn signals on the hsi and adf indicators? I just want to learn it properly this time so it sticks :)

visual

Hi all stuck on the first lesson.... no matter what I do...

I get repeat Lesson

Flaps 25

maximum Rpm

tried everything following the briefing to get this right... never went into the max rpm and hit the flaps on both take off and landing in the right spots.. need some documentation on where in the flight I may need to fix my flying or is this a bug?

any help appreciated Cheers

The instructor makes you do two patterns in the first mission. So what you're experiencing is normal, just set half flaps and set full thrust and fly the pattern again.

The instructor makes you do two patterns in the first mission. So what you're experiencing is normal, just set half flaps and set full thrust and fly the pattern again.

Hi,

That Flap 25 max rpm is not nice... It happened to me and it is a misleading instruction. I also thought I failed three times and eventually gave up on the campaign.

I may give it a try again...

Tks,

Sydy

Hi,

That Flap 25 max rpm is not nice... It happened to me and it is a misleading instruction. I also thought I failed three times and eventually gave up on the campaign.

I may give it a try again...

Minor update...

Re-did the first mission and got the same “repeat the exercice”, so this time just went along and flew another pattern (although not briefed), instead of just finishing the flight. After the second landing, got a “No comments” from the instructor and passed flawlessly. It’s a bit tricky (kind of), but understand we have to adapt to the instructor.

Now let’s go to the second one.

Tks,

Sydy

Flaps 25 max RPM command is given on the landing roll right? Pretty sure what he means is turn it into a touch and go and do the circuit again, he's just being specific about technique and wants half flaps and max power.

• 4 years later...

The first mission has quite strict parameters, but it's also the shortest one and the instructions are quite clear - after re-reading them couple of times. It definitely isn't a mission to be done on the first time. You should stay between 150 and 250 m, and the speed should not deviate much either. There are warnings first, but if you stay out of the tolerance, or go way over it, the mission ends right away.

Now, the first circle is not evaluated, it's just a warm-up for you. So in any case you have to not screw it up too much to get to the second - evaluated - attempt. And there you can get like 2-3 warnings. Exact triggers are possible to find in the mission file, but simply said - stay in the tolerance. Practice makes perfect. It is doable. It can be frustrating if you miss some trigger, but in that case you probably did something very wrong (like a turn way too soon, etc.). Otherwise this mission is pretty well sand-boxed and I like I can actually go AGAIN after a successful attempt.

If the attempt is not successful, you indeed get the order to repeat it - but the IP will also tell you: "You're not maintaining..." and after moment he lists all the things you're not maintaining. 🙂 Like speed, altitude, etc.

It's also good idea to start with some free flying quick mission where you practice turns with the right roll without dropping or lifting your nose too much. No reason to practice it after the cold start really.

✈️ L-39, F-5E, F/A-18C, MiG-15, F-86F, C-101, FC3 🛩️ Yak-52, P-47, Spitfire 🚁 UH-1H, Ka-50 III 🗺️ NTTR, PG, SY, Channel 📦 Supercarrier, NS430, WWII 🕹️ VKB STECS+Gladiator/Kosmosima ▶️ DCS Unscripted YouTube