Took the plunge...

Dave73

Ive been tossed up about dcs on monitors and dcs in vr... I always heard guys on here say how incredible it is and how they would ever go back to monitors....

Well, i took the plunge and boy are you guys rite!!!! WOW is all i can say. I purchased the oculus rift and my first time in the cockpit i was blown away... I kept finding myself reaching for the switches and buttons. I was supprised how clear it is and how well i could see and read everything.honestly i feel i could fly better because the perspective of being in the cockpit. The only thing i can say bad about it is when i move my head there is a tiny little bit of stutter... Im gonna try to read and look up some stuff to see if theres a way to smooth it out. It seems to only be in dcs, i messed around with some other little apps and stuff and they were all super smooth.

Anyway, if anyone is like i was and on the fence about it... Just do it!

I garrentee you will be blown away and love it...i know the thing that stopped me was people saying that vr isnt there yet and wait till there new developments... I am tottally happy and am glad i did it now...with as good as it looks now i cant imagine whats next!

Edited by Dave73

Welcome! The INPUT/OUTPUT's subthread for VR is a goldmine for VR users. You'll quickly do things that were never possible. Opening the Huey's door so you can lean out and look at the ground Flying missions and being able to know where you are by looking using terrain association. "North of the river, south of the hilltop" is MUCH MUCH easier in VR. And fly while tracking a SAM, I love doing that. And they have a sit on the ground while they drop bombs on your head!

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Yea - its hard to explain to people how better it is than monitors until they try it for themselves!

Do you have Rift or Vive? The 'stuttering' is because you can not manage 90FPS so the headset drops it down to 45 and injects 'false' frames - called Asyncronous Spacewarp in the Rift and Async Reprojection in the Vive.

You can turn it on and off with Ctrl -Numpad 1 & 4 in the Rift. Off gets rid of the 'ghosting' of say the wingtips when banking and the stutter of the aircraft against the background say in flyby view for example, but you will get shuddering of the instrument panel etc. On is the other way around, smooth instrument panel and gauges but ghosting of your aircraft against the background.

Press Ctrl and Pause/Break to get a FPS display in the headset in DCS.

If you turn down PD to 1.0 and other settings enough you can maintain 90FPS in the current release version in the air so its not too much of a problem (I have a 1080ti OC and just manage it!...), but with ED forcing Deferred Shading on in the coming release version (is currently like that in the Beta) - performance in VR is hurt massively so very hard to get 90 FPS now, so get used to ghosting and shuddering image. Bit of a shame to have such bad performance with the best GPU you can buy at the mo, but it is what it is - been considering going back to flying on a monitor actually...

Be sure to map the VR center view and VR zoom function to buttons on your controller - in the UI Layer controller options. You generally only need to center your view once as VR doesn't really drift like TrackIR used to all the time - only if you have a problem and need to re-run the sensor setup (I have it mapped to a spare mouse side button), and VR Zoom is super handy!

Enjoy, and yea the feeling of being in the aircraft is pretty awesome - wait till you start dogfighting and looking all around and behind you - can be a workout and you learn some 'techniques' for seeing behind you better etc!

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

... I kept finding myself reaching for the switches and buttons.

I've been using flight sims for years, but got a chuckle every time I caught myself doing this ^ when I first got my Oculus. It is immersive!

I'd just like to see the higher resolution to lose the "fly screen" effect and be able to read some of the smaller gauges/ see targets a little better. That and still maintain a decent frame rate.

yes the people who don't like VR tend to have very specific problems with it.

but generally it improves everything :) greatly :)

try out the audio. on some games you can close your eyes and follow things with your ears :)

which blew me away and has zero to do with visuals:) and everything to do with 1:1 head tracking.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

:thumbup:

Congrats and have fun!

Have had my Rift since Jan 2017 and am still blown away quite often when putting it on.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thought about coming in and posting the exact same thing today. Picked up an Odyssey on the way home yesterday after reading/researching this forum for weeks. I'm sure if a camera was pointed at my face that first flight it would have shown my jaw down around my navel.

The biggest hit for me was after taking off the first time in a Spit, looking to the side, then banking and pulling hard to go back over the airfield. I could feel a sense of real vertigo and 'stomach drop' that you get in a real small plane as I pulled through the turn, and I've *NEVER* felt that in a sim. Ever.

I stayed up way, way too late last night just flying around in the Spit. The sense of speed down low is breathtaking. Flying down the strip made me giddy. It's as big a revelation as playing Doom shareware more than 25 years ago.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

Thought about coming in and posting the exact same thing today. Picked up an Odyssey on the way home yesterday after reading/researching this forum for weeks. I'm sure if a camera was pointed at my face that first flight it would have shown my jaw down around my navel.

The biggest hit for me was after taking off the first time in a Spit, looking to the side, then banking and pulling hard to go back over the airfield. I could feel a sense of real vertigo and 'stomach drop' that you get in a real small plane as I pulled through the turn, and I've *NEVER* felt that in a sim. Ever.

I stayed up way, way too late last night just flying around in the Spit. The sense of speed down low is breathtaking. Flying down the strip made me giddy. It's as big a revelation as playing Doom shareware more than 25 years ago.

Awesome isn't it?

Take the Spit on the Vegas Tour Instant Action mission if you have that map.

It is a blast.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah, I've had it since DK1, DK2, and CV1 (Vive and Odyssey along the way). And I'm still not "sick" of it. I love doing touch and go's with A10's. Nevermind carrier trapping with FA18. OMG. Doing Case I recovery with Rift is SOOOOOOOO much fun it's not even fair! :)

Anyhoo, enjoy it.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Ive been tossed up about dcs on monitors and dcs in vr... I always heard guys on here say how incredible it is and how they would ever go back to monitors....

Well, i took the plunge and boy are you guys rite!!!! WOW is all i can say. I purchased the oculus rift and my first time in the cockpit i was blown away... I kept finding myself reaching for the switches and buttons. I was supprised how clear it is and how well i could see and read everything.honestly i feel i could fly better because the perspective of being in the cockpit. The only thing i can say bad about it is when i move my head there is a tiny little bit of stutter... Im gonna try to read and look up some stuff to see if theres a way to smooth it out. It seems to only be in dcs, i messed around with some other little apps and stuff and they were all super smooth.

Anyway, if anyone is like i was and on the fence about it... Just do it!

I garrentee you will be blown away and love it...i know the thing that stopped me was people saying that vr isnt there yet and wait till there new developments... I am tottally happy and am glad i did it now...with as good as it looks now i cant imagine whats next!

Now, do your self a favor and get the Jetseat" and you will FEEL the engines power up. And feel the wheels bump down the runway. And feel when you engage the air brakes. Talk about immersion! https://andres.shop/

Win 10 I7 6700K @ 4.0 GHZ. 16 gig memory GTX 1070 SSD

Wait until you get down and low and fast between the trees in a helicopter. :D

Oh and wait until your first crash in VR. :P

I like the 3D spacial perception and the situational awareness I get with VR and can live with the cartoon sort of look, better of course would be better but for me the immersion more than makes up for the detail.

Enjoy. :pilotfly:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

i must be missing something? I bought VR because of dcs, but its just awful. My fps and performance is great even with supersampling 2. But trying to find a airfield or anything beyond a few hundred feet is just terrible for me. Even trying to read the dials etc.. I mean that screen door effect.. ugh! But seriously.. am i doing something different to everyone else? or is everyone convinced its a good thing because of the money they have spent?

My Files.....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah, I've had it since DK1, DK2, and CV1 (Vive and Odyssey along the way). And I'm still not "sick" of it. I love doing touch and go's with A10's. Nevermind carrier trapping with FA18. OMG. Doing Case I recovery with Rift is SOOOOOOOO much fun it's not even fair! :)

Anyhoo, enjoy it.

Tell me about it, I am up to about 80 something of those now and still love doing them.

I really need to move on and start learning other things on the F/A 18-C though, just having too much fun.

I love landing on the carrier, taxiing around and getting hooked back up and off I go again.

Don B

i must be missing something? I bought VR because of dcs, but its just awful. My fps and performance is great even with supersampling 2. But trying to find a airfield or anything beyond a few hundred feet is just terrible for me. Even trying to read the dials etc.. I mean that screen door effect.. ugh! But seriously.. am i doing something different to everyone else? or is everyone convinced its a good thing because of the money they have spent?

Sounds like maybe you need to spend some time tweaking your system for best optics/performance.

SDE - I never really see it, mainly because I don't focus my eyes on it, I am focusing on what is further out ahead and looking beyond the SDE so am hardly even aware of it - unless I decide to focus on it.

Resolution - No it ain't great by any means, but with the right adjustments one can certainly easily see the instruments and those cockpits are gorgeous. Yeah looking out at a distance it is not crisp and clear like we would like, but for me the immersion far outweighs that.

For some however, they have a hard time getting over that. Not sure how much time you have put into it, but if not long I would continue to work with it and see if you find a balance that works for you and you go wow, this is awesome.

Don B

Lasvideo...looks like you just put another thing on the dcs bucketlist...

Nevousenergy...lol...i dont think my jaw shut the whole time!!!

Thanks guys for your input to get me started...well off to flyboy land!!!

I've spent a lot more money on things and criticized it, so that would be a no.

1) What HMD do you have?

2) HMD's have a small sweet spot. Some smaller than others. Make sure you move it around, and for Vive, press it in to see if it makes a difference. Some folks even shaved off the foam to get a better picture.

3) If you are near sighted, make sure you wear your glasses.

4) Read Jabbers sticky All Things VR to get a baseline setting.

If all you do is look at the SDE, it'll be there. But like dburne, I look more "out front" so I don't notice the SDE much. But I do have a 52 year old eyes, so if you're young with terrific eye sight, I don't know what to tell you! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

dburne and hansangb,

thanks for your feedback.

My hdm is the rift cv1.

I do know to find the sweet spot etc.. I just feel the current tech of vr at this stage suffers the most in games like dcs.

When I play things like assetto, superhot, ping pong etc, etc its kinda ok.. but dcs I need the resolution. Im looking forward to the next gen vr.. I think that will make all the difference in dcs for me anyway. I think I was expecting more from vr as I had never tried it before. Its still in its infancy in my opinion. Also I can not ignore the SDE.. its impossible.

My Files.....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

dburne and hansangb,

thanks for your feedback.

My hdm is the rift cv1.

I do know to find the sweet spot etc.. I just feel the current tech of vr at this stage suffers the most in games like dcs.

When I play things like assetto, superhot, ping pong etc, etc its kinda ok.. but dcs I need the resolution. Im looking forward to the next gen vr.. I think that will make all the difference in dcs for me anyway. I think I was expecting more from vr as I had never tried it before. Its still in its infancy in my opinion. Also I can not ignore the SDE.. its impossible.

Return it and try the Odyssey. The higher resolution definitely improves the SDE. I'm also pretty sensitive to it (can't not look at it if it's prominent) and I hardly notice it in flight.

The Rift was much, much worse for me. I look forward to 4K+ screens. Also make sure your pixel density is set to 1.4 or higher, assuming you've got the system for it.

PC - 3900X - Asus Crosshair Hero VIII - NZXT Kraken 63 - 32 GB RAM - 2080ti - SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe - Alienware UW - Windows 10

Sim hardware - Warthog throttle - VKB Gunfighter III - CH Quadrant - Slaw Device Pedals - Obutto R3volution pit - HP Reverb G2 - 2X AuraSound shakers

Computer check, rift, check, dcs check, jetseat check, motion platform inw

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Sometimes I just sit in the f-18 and watch the sunset reflection on the rain on the canopy. I‘m actually there and not ar my desk.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X | 64GB DDR4-3200 Ram | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind rudder pedals | HP Reverb