TACAN Course line

Camelot101

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but it doesn't seem like the TACAN course line works unless the TACAN beacon is in the current Range setting on the DDI.

For example if the DDI Range is set to 80 miles but the TACAN Station is 120 mile from the AC the Bearing line will not show. Set the Range to 140 miles and it works fine. Go back to 80 and it goes away again. Is this correct?

This is a good question, and I haven’t been able to find an answer in NATOPs.

If you have the HSI set to 20NM, and you’re 60NM from the boat *but* only 3 miles off the course line, should the course line not appear as a radial to track on the HSI?

I can't try by myself now, but is it possible that it depends on the course, you set? For example the TACAN station is out of range at a bearing of 000 deg from you and you fly directly towards it. Then, you set the course line to 90 deg. Since the course line intersects the station and is also perpendicular to your flight path, in this case, you cannot see the course line. Use the same example but set up the course line for 000 deg or 180 deg. Do you see it now?

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but it doesn't seem like the TACAN course line works unless the TACAN beacon is in the current Range setting on the DDI.

For example if the DDI Range is set to 80 miles but the TACAN Station is 120 mile from the AC the Bearing line will not show. Set the Range to 140 miles and it works fine. Go back to 80 and it goes away again. Is this correct?

You are correct.