Beginner Aircraft

bbhk888

Have you flown the Su-25 that comes free with DCS World? The P-51 trainer is also free but much more difficult being a military overpowered single-huge-prop tail-dragger.

The Hornet is fairly easy to handle as are pretty much all jet fighters, except the MiG-21.

Edited by Jack McCoy

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

Both are easy to fly. Hornet is in Early Access, so many advanced features and weapons are not released yet. Mirage theoretically is finished, but Razbam still promises some updates to weapon systems that they plan to deliver in the future.

Mirage is simpler than F18, but it's an older airframe so it's systems are sometimes harder to operate (for example it has no fancy moving map like the Hornet).

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

You might consider the mirage for now... I consider it the most fun fighter currently out there plus it is fbw. The 18 is nice and fun as well but far from being complete and still subject to change.

Mirage has a more limited loadout but you won't have the problem of incomplete systems.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

Sry for hype

Imo the F/A 18 is much easyer as the M2000 but thats more a feeling, and now the Hornet is EA. But thats a bit of advantage to be honest, becuase u can learn one system after the other.

Some systems might be a bit tricky at the moment but if u are a rookie u should start easy, start up,... fligh, get a feeling(thats really great in fa18) land and learn carrier recovs.

Sure u can nearly all of that with the m2000 too ( no carrier missions) but for me i just can say that much,... love at first sight. I got m2000, a10, ka50, 109, huey, viggen and non of these brings me so much fun. at the moment im in hospital and i count hours to fly again.

I think the 18 is interessting in so many ways. BUT REMEMBER its far from full release it is really EARLY ACCESS but still a great plane

EDIT:

And no matter what plane, take ur time for chucks Guide, it will really help and u dont neet to ask questions wich allready ask so often :)

Edited by headbreaker_ger

Having treated myself to a HOTAS for my birthday a month ago, I decided try DCS properly. As my only module for a long time was the A-10C. That on an xbox pad was no fun. So, first thing I did was buy the mirage. It's beautiful to fly, very agile. With good capabilities of AA and AG.

Mostly, Very straightforward to operate systems wise, as mentioned it is an older aircraft so no DDI's or digital maps. Quite easy and accessible modes with a good HOTAS key setup, and it is a joy to fly and personally it needs hardly any trimming at all, I love to just watch it from the F3 view and do high G turns (But that's my delta wing love). Also, there's a great sound mod in the user files section.

On the other hand, the F18 is also a joy as it's very easy to fly agility wise and forgiving, slightly more complex systems but still such a fun aircraft, and doesn't take too long to master. As also said by others it's early access so modules are still being added - for instance, currently there's no guided AG weapons. But again still a joy to fly as the Mirage, so for me it comes down to personal preference I love both aircraft designs. I think someone else already mentioned, added bonus with the F-18 there's the opportunity for Carrier Ops.

Have you flown the Su-25 that comes free with DCS World? The P-51 trainer is also free but much more difficult being a military overpowered single-huge-prop tail-dragger.

The Hornet is fairly easy to handle as are pretty much all jet fighters, except the MiG-21.

How did you arrive at "overpowered" for a Pony?

Thanks for all recommended. Kirkey, I have purchased t.16000m. F18 with digital map and carrier ops. I think I will be choice f18 for my first Aircraft.

Wellcome to DCS World. I also fly XP11 - great simulator - but the feelings and feedback given by DCS planes are really different... in some aspects more real. (or at least this is my opinion).

I have both Mirage and Hornet, and even if in Early Access I prefer the Hornet. I don't feel right in the French cockpit of the M2000 (it's not a matter of language, it'a about the layout) and I don't like very much the INS system. That said, the Mirage is fascinating and a joy to watch.

The Hornet is a great plane and, as Headbreaker said, you'll have plenty of time to learn all the systems as they'll be released. The FA-18 is very forgiving in landing (on airfields, not on carriers) because it has a very sturdy landing gear that allows very heavy landings (more or less like XP11 where landing gear damage is not modelled and you can drop the plane like a brick without any problem. Try it with a Mirage or with a mustang and you'll be dead!!:D)

As you like flying a civ. simulator, I suggest you to try the free TF-51 (the weaponless Mustang) because it has a really gorgeous flight model and take also into account for the future the Albatros.

Happy flying!

ASUS Z170 PRO Gaming || i7x6700K@4.6GHz || Noctua NH-U14S || Corsair16GB DDR4 - 3000MHz || Asus Strix GTX-1080 TI-11GB || TrackIr 5Pro || Saitek x-55 Rhino || Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals || Win10 pro

I say get the A-10C, it’s very easy to fly and has lots of weapon systems to learn; plus it’s a mature project that’s been around the longest (airplane-wise - Black Shark KA-50 was first).

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

I say get the A-10C, it’s very easy to fly and has lots of weapon systems to learn; plus it’s a mature project that’s been around the longest (airplane-wise - Black Shark KA-50 was first).

I like the a10 but i dont see it like u, the a10 is an solid plane and modul no question. But its deep really deep and alone teh start up can be overhelming for new people.

The hornet will have a wide armament when finishd, but itsfaster okay not so long air time to be honest, can better handle pilot errors (just besser pilotsupport from systems) and most systems are standart on go state.

Pls dont missunderstand me the a10 is a great plane, also is the m2000 and so many others even the 109( just bitchy at start and landings, and taxi dont forget taxi) :D :D :D

But i personaly think the F/A 18 will be the most advanced modul with many many combatoptions, f.e. a2a.

But thats just my little opinion

I like the a10 but i dont see it like u, the a10 is an solid plane and modul no question. But its deep really deep and alone teh start up can be overhelming for new people.

The hornet will have a wide armament when finishd, but itsfaster okay not so long air time to be honest, can better handle pilot errors (just besser pilotsupport from systems) and most systems are standart on go state.

Pls dont missunderstand me the a10 is a great plane, also is the m2000 and so many others even the 109( just bitchy at start and landings, and taxi dont forget taxi) :D :D :D

But i personaly think the F/A 18 will be the most advanced modul with many many combatoptions, f.e. a2a.

But thats just my little opinion

That or the F15E eventually haha

To get a propeller driven plane into the air and fly a Lycoming IO-360-L2A four cylinder engine does the job at 160 hp for the Cessna 172R Skyhawk.

Comparing that to the TF-51D propeller plane with a supercharged Packard V-1650-7 liquid-cooled V-12 with 1,490 hp plus, more than 10 times more horsepower, well... seems a bit "overpowered" for sightseeing and aerobatics. :music_whistling:

EDIT: the important point is about how easy that is to handle. An overpowered ex-warbird is a handful, for a beginner, and from what I've heard even for experienced pilots of tricycle planes.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

Not overpowered as a fighter, but in relations to the airframe. Considering the (maybe misworded) question about ease of flying, WWII fighters have nasty flight characteristics. A contrario, going full burner in a fighter won't flip you on your back.

Edited by Jack McCoy

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

Agreed, in pure aviation terms the P-51 has power to weight in buckets; in order to get airborne one only needs a fraction of its power, which is why quite a few people get unstuck with it, that excess power it less noticeable in fixed-wing jets because there's no harsh roll/yaw moment when slamming the throttle open, plus with the TF-51 it is even more pronounced as it is no longer carrying ordinance etc.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

i'd say DCS F-5E. It's very easy to startup, with no complicated avionics but remain a potent dogfighter, with limited A-G capability. You can master BFM & ACM in it before jumping into more high performance fighters. I'd recommend you get Maple Flag's BFM & ACM campaigns as well

The free aircraft can be studied in a reasonable amount of depth relevant to DCS before even going near bought modules, BFM and ACM are great fun but also topics unto themselves. A lot of great points made in this thread.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

I say get a plane you are most interested in flying. If you like the plane you are more inclined to learn it through and through. If you like the 18 the most get it.

Some planes are much more complicated then others. That being said its a grind to learn a plane you don't really care about. The learning curve may be steeper with some but its much easier when you have a natural interest in that jet.

Rig: 5960X @ 4.5GHZ 32GB 3000Mhz DDR4 Titan XP Dell 3415W 21:9 Thrustmaster Warthog

I say get a plane you are most interested in flying. If you like the plane you are more inclined to learn it through and through. If you like the 18 the most get it.

Some planes are much more complicated then others. That being said its a grind to learn a plane you don't really care about. The learning curve may be steeper with some but its much easier when you have a natural interest in that jet.

i think thats true. You can master every plane if u stick to it.

I still think the 18 is atm easy to learn but as said, just my opinon

I would also like to mention the price point with the summer sale at the moment... During the sale the Mirage is 50% off while the Hornet has its normal price point. So price might also be a point here. F18 is quite easy to fly and even if its in early access it will give you many opportunities at least later on. If price is an issue I'd recommend the Mirage and get the F18 later (maybe on a sale?) Otherwise if money is no issue I would recommend the F18 since you will get a lot for your money over time.