AIM-9X in latest ED video

backspace340

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AMP WIZARD "Forest Gumble" "When the air becomes electric....It's like a box of chocolates":captain:

Windows 11 Pro 64 bit | Intel Alder Lake i7 12700KF | Asus Prime Z690M Plus D4 | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200 | EVGA GTX 1070 SC @1594MHz/4000 MHz 8GB | 1x42" Multi Touch Screen and 1x27" 4k widescreen | Saitek x52 Pro |

You guys have a good eye. I watched the vid just as Wags posted it last night and I didn’t pick up on it... Guess I was just too sleepy to notice... Good catch!

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

Does the AIM-9X do anything different to the M version in the absence of JHMCS? Or is that stuff almost ready as well?

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

Does the AIM-9X do anything different to the M version in the absence of JHMCS? Or is that stuff almost ready as well?

Yes. The 9X has thrust vectoring, different fins, much better seeker (it should be extremely hard to defeat with countermeasures, if not impossible in some circumstances, idk how ED will simulate it), expanded seeker FOV, expanded WEZ, etc.

If the radar was finished I'd say it'd be a total gamechanger, but right now with the ACM modes not really working...IDK. It's gonna be a mean missile though with or without JHMCS.

Lord of Salt

Yes. The 9X has thrust vectoring, different fins, much better seeker (it should be extremely hard to defeat with countermeasures, if not impossible in some circumstances, idk how ED will simulate it), expanded seeker FOV, expanded WEZ, etc.

If the radar was finished I'd say it'd be a total gamechanger, but right now with the ACM modes not really working...IDK. It's gonna be a mean missile though with or without JHMCS.

Very interesting, thanks!

| i9 12900K |  64GB DDR5-6000 | STRIX RTX 4090 OC | LG 38GN950 38" |

| Hanns-G HT225HPB | TIR 5 & Varjo Aero | Virpil Throttle & Stick | TM TPRs |

You don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

It’s 0-1 in combat so far. Unless their has been additional employment that I’m not aware of.

It’s 0-1 in combat so far. Unless their has been additional employment that I’m not aware of.

One success and one dud in combat as far that I can find.

Turkey used it to shoot down the Su24 in 2015, which I believe was the first combat use of the missile.

Head over to the F-14 forum and check out the excitement for the AIM-54 Phoenix, a missile that's 0-3 (two duds and a miss) in verifiable combat employment. (Iran of course claims to have shot down every Iraqi jet twice over with the Phoenix.)

Either way, I'm looking forward to the X, and the Phoenix, and especially the Tomcat.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Head over to the F-14 forum and check out the excitement for the AIM-54 Phoenix, a missile that's 0-3 (two duds and a miss) in verifiable combat employment. (Iran of course claims to have shot down every Iraqi jet twice over with the Phoenix.)

Either way, I'm looking forward to the X, and the Phoenix, and especially the Tomcat.

Aim-54 is a bomber missile ..like the sa-2 beatble aaall day ;)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AIM-54 wasn't designed to take out fighters, just slow moving HAVs....

AIM-54 wasn't designed to take out fighters, just slow moving HAVs....

Maverick likely can take down fighters, but not maneuvering ones. So if target is flying steadily it shouldn't be impossibility to hit at them.

As we anyways have a problem in DCS that players are pulling way too much G's and maneuvers because they can, as they don't have the effects of the maneuvers nor G forces, what would leave so many to avoid maneuvers when not needed.

And if hitting a maneuvering target would be so easy, we wouldn't have got missiles like AIM-9X and R-60/R-73 that are designed for high maneuvering targets at close range.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Aim-54 is a bomber missile ..like the sa-2 beatble aaall day ;)

Actually, the aim-54 was designed as a sparrow replacement with an anti-fighter role very much so kept in mind due to the bad performance of the early sparrow models. Now due to the tech at the time and other requirements, the missile was big but that gave it massive range. Lets also not forget it was the first missile to hit a target pulling more than 6g's. If it was used in combat more often it would definitely have gotten more kills. As a friend in the navy told me the aim-54 was quite literally the equivalent of "Break glass in case of WWIII" kind of kit it was almost never taken out of storage unless shit was hitting the fan (hence imho the 2 duds).

Edited by nighthawk2174