F/A 18 in VR

Burgo38

Hi all,

Is anyone using the Vive Pro with this jet? I’m wondering what kind of performance to expect with an i7, 16GB RAM & 1080ti. I’d hate to purchase only to find it unflyable. Any experiences appreciated

I am getting solid 45 frames on my Oculus. While over the ocean I even saw 90 fps recently ;) It is certainly not headset related, but config. I can paste you my settings tonight, if you like.

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

I generally hit the VR preset button then up all the textures to high, view to high and trees to 80%, this also with a PD of 1.7. Just don't expect to fly a massive mission or some of the campaigns with these settings of course. I fly small custom missions etc for VR and the large one's on my monitor. (Rift here)

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I generally hit the VR preset button then up all the textures to high, view to high and trees to 80%, this also with a PD of 1.7. Just don't expect to fly a massive mission or some of the campaigns with these settings of course. I fly small custom missions etc for VR and the large one's on my monitor. (Rift here)

I cant play in my monitor anymore (sims i mean). It just does not motivate me after VR.

I cant play in my monitor anymore (sims i mean). It just does not motivate me after VR.

Im with you Falcon, I wont go near a monitor again !:thumbup:

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

I can't play any games on monitor again. Got my Rift on Jan 15th 2017, and have not done any games on monitor since. In fact I no longer have any games installed that are monitor only.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Performance is fine as the others said, though I find the Hornet DDIs the hardest screens to read in VR, it's very difficult to read the text (especially those by the buttons around the edge). I have no problems with the screens in the Harrier, Mirage, A10C (or anything else), there just seems to be something about the font or textures on the screens in the Hornet that make the DDIs fuzzy and difficult to read. I'm running a Samsung Odyssey with a decent amount of PD too (1.5), so god knows what it's like for those running on less resolution.

Same here, got mine a few months ago, and even with the lack of resolution we got on present VR headset, i simly not interested to fly on monitor, even when i force load non VR to du stuff in mission or stuff, i find it so much boring and the way too sharp details on my monitor, reminds me that wearing glasses, VR makes me see thing more like i am used to versus Supoer-Bionic super detailed world as monitors does.

In otehr words, i can'T trade anymore Immersion, in world point of view for more resolution whle looking at my window and turning my head 1 degrees to mimick in sim 90 degress, love to force my shoulders 90 degrees or so to look 90 degree or so in sim :) I now realised my head/neck is not as flexible as it was in my younger days.

Hi all,

Is anyone using the Vive Pro with this jet? I’m wondering what kind of performance to expect with an i7, 16GB RAM & 1080ti. I’d hate to purchase only to find it unflyable. Any experiences appreciated

I cannot answer you as with the Vive, since i went Oculus a fe wmonths ago, the main reason was, because i tried it, but mostly with the research i'Ve made, Oculus came out a few times as handling better in low frame rate condition and lower end system as i am having, so with my old i7-2600k stock, no OC, 16g ram, ECGA GTX 1070sc 8gb and SSD, depends on situation but it goes from 25 FPS- 45 FPS with lots of stuff on high settings (most of the time FPS drops a bit on carrier if i drop in static objets, if no objets, specialy no static F/A-18C lot 20, it's close to 45, of course, no mirrors and terrain shadow as flat. I'm sure with a 1080ti versus me you'll do way much better.

Hi all,

You should look around. If your mind is set on Vive Pro, or you have a need for room scale VR, it's one thing. But there are much cheaper alternatives that you may want to consider. Samsung/Microsoft Odyssey has the same spec as the Vive Pro w/o the laser tracking.

Again, just wanted to bring it up as Odyssey or Rift is half the price of Vive Pro.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Did you think this was gonna be a thread killer? You are not a moderator.

Well, I don't know about you, but being given a couple of useful links is not the domain of a moderator alone, and what about it implies he was criticising or trying to close the thread?

I think you read between the lines a little there USMC_Trev!

Back to the real topic of the thread however, I would like to add that the Hornet really comes alive in VR. Like all DCS World aircraft, you will however need a high spec computer to get the best out of it. But, I'd highly recommend you go for it.

Edited by NeilWillis

It's a good monitor tho and I payed something like $1000 aud for it 1.5 years ago, so she needs some use now and then. It is a nice monitor G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms. Great with tir, it is very hard to go back after VR, I do get that, cannot wait for the next gen with hopefully a little bit better res.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Here my settings as requested

DCS_settings.thumb.JPG.99f2405827b609d70928c88088ffdc85.JPG

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Here my settings as requested
If you turn down anisotropic filtering to 4 or 8x with current msaa settings you'll get a good fps gain overall. The difference in quality and readability is negligible;)

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

I have an older I7 processor, 3930K running at 4.2Ghz, 16 GB ram, dedicated SSD, 1080ti no OC. I have the Oculus Rift. Persian Gulf map with F/A-18. Using 2xmsaa, PD 1.6, no shadows, textures, terrain, water, visibility on high, deferred shading on, grass and trees half on, rain on, global cockpit illum off. I have a very smooth VR experience with small scale missions. No problems reading instruments.

Non VR maxed out looks great but can't go back. VR is the bomb!

Only VR problem I'm having with carrier ops training is seeing the ball once I've rolled into the groove. It might not be realistic but wish there was an option for a small pop up window of the ball. Just left of the HUD would be nice. But as I say, not realistic.

If artillery is the finger of God, then fast air is Gods hammer.

Only VR problem I'm having with carrier ops training is seeing the ball once I've rolled into the groove.

Are you properly lined up, up/down, left/right, and within 0.8-0.9 NM? I find the ball quite usable with Rift using my 48-year-old eyes. Enjoy VR! :thumbup:

i7-7700K@4.8GHz, 16Gb-3200, GTX-1080Ti-Strix-11Gb, Maximus IX Hero, Oculus Rift, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C, Logitech G940 Pedals.

Still not happy with my settings:

No msaa and PD 1.5 , gauges nice to read but lots of jaggies in world.

With 2xMsaa and 1.2 PD , world Looks better but gauges not so sharp.

AF only x4 both.

Performance is ok

What PD and Msaa and AF you guys use ? And why?

Just curious about your findings :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Still not happy with my settings:

No msaa and PD 1.5 , gauges nice to read but lots of jaggies in world.

With 2xMsaa and 1.2 PD , world Looks better but gauges not so sharp.

AF only x4 both.

Performance is ok

What PD and Msaa and AF you guys use ? And why?

Just curious about your findings :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found that using msaa (2x) instead of AA, or at least AA around 4x and PD between 1,5 and 1,8 works best for me. Higher PD smudges out distant objects and looks good in cockpit but it's then harder to spot targets. Msaa uses tons of system resources but is a better option for eliminating jagged lines and better gauge readability.

I run Intel i5 6600k, 16gig ram, m.2 ssd disk, msi 1080 gtx. Gets a solid 35-90 fps on multiplayer servers both huge and small missions. Experimentation is best here since it's very system dependable.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Msaa x2 and PD 1.5 or 1.6 set in Oculus Tray Tool and AF maxed works best for me. Most settings med to high. No shadows at all. (Fine with jets, miss shadows down low in Helos but it's a trade off) Small missions only. But no doubt I need more than 4.2Ghz processor, even with 1080ti.

And yes line up good, getting better since watching Lex's 2 YouTube video's on boat ops. Brilliant! Explains it all so clearly. But my 51 year old eyes still struggle to see the ball clearly in those first few important seconds rolling wings level into the groove. I just concerntrate on the flight path marker, on speed AOA and wires. Having a blast????

If artillery is the finger of God, then fast air is Gods hammer.