Install on another pc

Hi,

My pc is kaput!

Until I’ve got the funds to put another one together, I was thinking of using my sons pc for DCS & maybe purchasing one or more aircraft now there is a sale on.

Is this possible for me to use and run DCS on my sons pc, then as and when I get one of my own, for me to install and run on that one?

I do not intend to try to run DCS on both at the same time btw.

Cheers

Rick

Hi,

My pc is kaput!

Until I’ve got the funds to put another one together, I was thinking of using my sons pc for DCS & maybe purchasing one or more aircraft now there is a sale on.

Is this possible for me to use and run DCS on my sons pc, then as and when I get one of my own, for me to install and run on that one?

I do not intend to try to run DCS on both at the same time btw.

Cheers

Rick

Seems to be no problem. But is his pc fast enough :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

You will use up one additional activation per module, but otherwise should be fine.

Don't forget to de-activate them later when going back to your new PC.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

There is also a deactivation limit. Bad. Think about it...

Waiting for the return of: -TLP- -True LAN Play- Multiplayer without permanent internet connection to ED master-server. Plane wishlist: Antonov - AN-2

There is also a deactivation limit. Bad. Think about it...

Yes, but when you out of activations, you get them back every 30 days. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

How many activations are we allowed then? If I subsequently deactivate one, then am I credited that activation back?

ED is using two types of copy protection: older modules use starforce, while newer modules use internet call back each time you play them.

For starforce, you get 10 activations and 10 deactivations (campaigns only have three ... so dont activate them until you want to actually play them). Each time you install on a new pc (or your current pc gets upgraded a big amount), you use one activation, but if you deactivate prior to the install using one of your deactivations, you get one activation back.

On your particular case, since your old computer doesnt work anymore, you cant run the deactivation so you will lose one activation when you install on your son’s PC. Minimize the loss activating only the modules you are actually playing with ... dont install/activate the remaining modules.

Cheers

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks very much.

Luckily, I had brought my old pc out of retirement (been using MacBook) when I first became aware of dcs not too long ago, and discovered it wouldn’t work properly before installing DCS. I did though, install it on my sons pc under my username, but only the base download and not the bargain a10 with Combined Arms which I bought from Amazon beforehand.

So, I may well do nothing with those until I get myself another pc, and if I have to deactivate the base DCS then I shall do so.

Cheers all.

Rick

The free aircraft/terrain of DCS don't require activation/deactivation

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB