How to use TPOD LSS mode?

exnihilodub

Hi. I know that I can use DMT's LSS function to find lased targets. But how do I slew my TPOD to that laser point found by DMT? (as an addition, what's the purpose of the SLAVE selection within TPOD page?)

Also, what's the purpose of the LSS option in the TPOD page? I looked at the pocket guide but couldn't find any answer.

I really appreciate it if you could enlighten me on this issues. Thank you all!

Edited by exnihilodub

Separate manual for the Tpod, might be in the TAC 50"

, not sure on phone.

Razbam has not completed all the functions on the Lantirn Pod yet. One being the LSS. Others are the slave mode and Point track etc, believe HTS is not working anymore either.

LSS on the Pod is just another way and feature of the Pod to find and lock laser spots from other sources. Hopefully will have a competed TPOD soon

Separate manual for the Tpod, might be in the TAC 50"

, not sure on phone.

Razbam has not completed all the functions on the Lantirn Pod yet. One being the LSS. Others are the slave mode and Point track etc, believe HTS is not working anymore either.

LSS on the Pod is just another way and feature of the Pod to find and lock laser spots from other sources. Hopefully will have a competed TPOD soon

It’s the Litening pod and it’s described in TAC 000 manual. :thumbup:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

isnt LST part of DMT master mode? the coming and going X? Or are you referring to the TPOD LSS function? For DMT I believe you require a JTAC lasing the correct code for your LST SSS aft function to work. IIRC RedKite says it merely slews DMT to that LST but no weaps could be released via CCRP being fed by LST. I could be wrong.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

isnt LST part of DMT master mode? the coming and going X? Or are you referring to the TPOD LSS function? For DMT I believe you require a JTAC lasing the correct code for your LST SSS aft function to work. IIRC RedKite says it merely slews DMT to that LST but no weaps could be released via CCRP being fed by LST. I could be wrong.

I use DMT/JTAC/CCRP all the time. When the DMT finds the laser it slews to it and if you have GBUs selected / auto then you will see the CCRP fall line as soon as it picks up the laser. Easy peezy

Win 11 Professional, I7-12700K, 32GB DDR5, 3090, 2x 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe , 2x VKB Gunfighter mk III, MCG Ultimate, SCG, Orion 2 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Pimax Crystal 

The Litening wasn't created specifically for the Harrier, so a LST is incorporated into the pod.

There is no big deal, just push the button on the MFD.

The laser code is set through the DMT as usual.

TPOD LST will be better than DMT at night, because you can use the FLIR to see what is being illuminated.

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

• 1 year later...

Has the LSS on the TPOD been implemented as of now? I tried using it, and it appears to scan and lock onto the lased target for a short time, then it goes back into a search mode again.

The pattern the tracking head takes when searching seems a little strange, spinning around in azimuth with little elevation change. Also, the optics are functioning during the search mode. On the hornet, the display goes black while searching. Since it’s the same pod, it would seem to me that the two are implemented differently, or the harrier isn’t complete. Anyone know what’s going on?

Use the DMT Laser spot tracker, that works.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

*ugh* you guys run roughshod on the terminology a bit. LSS is LaSer Search and LST is LaSer Targeting in the TPOD MFCD acronyms. DMT does LSS, but not LST. The TPOD does LST, but I don't think it actually does LSS.

If the TPOD actually did LSS, it would be able to search 360° in a cone below the aircraft in addition to the horizontal cone in front of the aircraft. However, that doesn't happen, at least in my experience.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

LSS = Laser Spot Search

LST = Laser Spot Track

LSS, your DMT/TPOD is looking for a laser.

LST, your DMT/TPOD have found a laser and it's tracking.

From Razbam's Harrier Manual:

The TPOD automatically transitions to LST mode upon detecting a laser energy spot, at which time the LSS legend is removed. If in LST mode and the laser energy spot is lost, the TPOD reverts to LSS mode for 10 seconds. If LST is not reestablished, the TPOD switches to SLAVE mode.

:thumbup:

LSS = Laser Spot Search

LST = Laser Spot Track

The TPOD automatically transitions to LST mode upon detecting a laser energy spot, at which time the LSS legend is removed. If in LST mode and the laser energy spot is lost, the TPOD reverts to LSS mode for 10 seconds. If LST is not reestablished, the TPOD switches to SLAVE mode.

:huh: I'm going to have to defer to you Dimitri (thanks for the answer BTW), but I thought I recalled reading that LST is displayed in the HUD with the laser on while "painting" a target, as opposed to just pointing :doh:

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

LSS = Laser Spot Search

LST = Laser Spot Track

Sorry, Djmitri, I should have RTFM. I'm going to go back and give it another try. I'll try out the slave mode too. Both sound really helpful.

Harlikwin, understood about the DMT. That works fine for me. But there are times when the TPOD is more useful than the DMT. In my particular case, I was flying a CAS mission at night and looking for targets near the lased target, but not specifically the lased target.

As for what it's called, this is going to drive you both nuts, but the Razbam guide calls the LSS the "Laser Spot Track Mode."

I tested it out a little. The LSS of the TPOD does not function properly. It does do some search pattern, but it isn’t anything that makes sense. Sometimes it oscillates a few degrees left and right of center, other times it’s making wide circles around the periphery of the viewable area.

When I could get it to oscillate about the centerline, I was able to steer the point onto the target and have it lock on, but it would only stay locked on to the target for a short time, the. It would reset back to the weird search pattern. So yeah, it doesn’t work properly.

I was able to use the DMT in LST mode to lock onto the target, and then used the SLAVE mode to slew the TPOD onto the target. Worked great.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

1. Set laser code you will search for.

2. Switch to TPOD HOTAS mode.

3. TDC Action to designate near expected lase area. Having a TPOD designation is required to start the search. This often catches me out when trying to re-start a search.

4. SSS Left Long Press to enter LSS.

HTH,

Don

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2