Switch Positions - default.lua

Is there any way to make changes to the lua file and see the results without shutting down and restarting DCS?

Windows 10 x64, Intel i7 6700K, cooled by CoolerMaster, 32GB DDR4 , Asus Maximus VIII Hero, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, 2 SSD's, 1 2TB HDD and 1 3TB HDD, Benq 24", TM Warthog, MS Sidewinder FFB, TIR 5, F16 MFD, CH Pro Rudder

• 1 month later...

I've tried for a few days to make a Strobe Light BRT/OFF toggle command, but have failed.

The command shows up and I can assign it, but it does not toggle between anything(BRT, OFF, DIM). It just goes to the value_down from whatever it's set to. 0.0 is OFF, and 1.0 is BRT.

Any help is appreciated..

{	down = extlights_commands.Strobe,
cockpit_device_id = devices.EXT_LIGHTS,
value_down =  0.0,
name = _('STROBE Lights Switch - ON/OFF'),
category = {_('*MY CUSTOM COMMANDS*')}},

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

I've tried for a few days to make a Strobe Light BRT/OFF toggle command, but have failed.

The command shows up and I can assign it, but it does not toggle between anything(BRT, OFF, DIM). It just goes to the value_down from whatever it's set to. 0.0 is OFF, and 1.0 is BRT.

{down = extlights_commands.Strobe,
value_down =  0.0,

You will need 2 commands, one for Bright and Off and a second for Dim and Off. Not at my machine now so can't check for code. If you have not had a response tomorrow morning I will check for you.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

You will need 2 commands, one for Bright and Off and a second for Dim and Off. Not at my machine now so can't check for code. If you have not had a response tomorrow morning I will check for you.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Great, Thanks!

I just have one push button that I want to turn Strobe on BRT on one press, and then OFF on the next press.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

{	down = extlights_commands.Strobe,
value_down =  0.0,

Give this a try and see if it works:

{down = extlights_commands.Strobe, up = extlights_commands.Strobe, cockpit_device_id = devices.EXT_LIGHTS, value_down =  1.0, value_up = 0, name = _('STROBE Lights Switch - BRT else OFF'), category = {_('Mods'), _('Left Console'), _('Exterior Lights Panel')}},
{down = extlights_commands.Strobe, up = extlights_commands.Strobe, cockpit_device_id = devices.EXT_LIGHTS, value_down =  -1.0, value_up = 0, name = _('STROBE Lights Switch - DIM else OFF'), category = {_('Mods'), _('Left Console'), _('Exterior Lights Panel')}},

The existing lines for this switch are:

{down = extlights_commands.Strobe_EXT, cockpit_device_id = devices.EXT_LIGHTS, value_down =  1.0, name = _('STROBE Lights Switch - Up'), category = {_('Left Console'), _('Exterior Lights Panel')}},
{down = extlights_commands.Strobe_EXT, cockpit_device_id = devices.EXT_LIGHTS, value_down = -1.0, name = _('STROBE Lights Switch - Down'), category = {_('Left Console'), _('Exterior Lights Panel')}},
{down = extlights_commands.Strobe, cockpit_device_id = devices.EXT_LIGHTS, value_down =  1.0, name = _('STROBE Lights Switch - BRT'), category = {_('Left Console'), _('Exterior Lights Panel')}},
{down = extlights_commands.Strobe, cockpit_device_id = devices.EXT_LIGHTS, value_down =  0.0, name = _('STROBE Lights Switch - OFF'), category = {_('Left Console'), _('Exterior Lights Panel')}},
{down = extlights_commands.Strobe, cockpit_device_id = devices.EXT_LIGHTS, value_down = -1.0, name = _('STROBE Lights Switch - DIM'), category = {_('Left Console'), _('Exterior Lights Panel')}},

So you can see that BRT is value 1.0, OFF is 0, and DIM is -1.0. Using those values you can come up with the example I gave you.

Edited by RogueSqdn

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Thanks!

I tested both of those. But when I let go of the button, it returns to OFF for both of them. You have to hold it to keep it on BRT or DIM. It doesn't toggle between BRT and OFF.

Didn't know you wanted a momentary button... my code was meant for a toggle switch like on the Warthog, where it's only on in one position.

I realized just now that you had the word TOGGLE in your post. :)

LUA scripting is not going to work for this situation, I'm afraid (neither LUA or DCS allow you to assign two separate commands to one button). If you were using TARGET, it would be dead simple to do:

MapKey(&Throttle, APENG, SEQ(Strobe_BRT, Strobe_OFF));

With Strobe_BRT and Strobe_OFF either defined in your macro file, or replaced with the keystroke or DX button commands you wish.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

Thanks and sorry for the confusion. I have a generic helicopter collective controller that I use for light switches when I fly airplanes. I map as many of the lights as I can to it. But there are not enough! I thought I could map the strobe to the button but the game doesn't have a on/off command for it.

The STROBE switch in the cockpit switches UP on Right Mouse click, and DOWN on Left Mouse Click. Therefore you cannot make it cycle through the 3 positions with a single button.

But the solution is extremely simple: Bind your ButtonX to the command "STROBE Lights Switch - Up", and ButtonX + LCtrl to "STROBE Lights Switch - Down". And of course you can use any other modifier, like RCtrl, LShft, RShft etc. instead of LCtrl.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I didn't even think about modifiers... :doh:

I'd use an available joystick key as a modifier instead of a keyboard key, though.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Why for me after added of these lines are working correctly!

{    down = gear_commands.HookHandle,                up = gear_commands.HookHandle,                    cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE,    value_down =  1.0,    value_up = 0.0,    name = _('Arresting Hook Handle'),            category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Right Vertical Panel')}},
{    down = extlights_commands.LdgTaxi,                up = extlights_commands.LdgTaxi,                cockpit_device_id = devices.EXT_LIGHTS,        value_down =  0.0,    value_up = 1.0,    name = _('LDG/TAXI LIGHT Switch'),            category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Left Vertical Panel')}},

And - these lines.. does not work ?

"Landing Gear Control Handle" - even does not appear in the choice of function in 'Special For Joystick' !!

'Launch Bar Control Switch' (Intended for the EAC switch) - appear, but functions incorrectly, when switch ON - bar extend. After OFF - there is no reaction, after switch ON again - bar retract.

{    down = iCommandPlaneGearUp,                        up = iCommandPlaneGearDown,                                                                                                        name = _('Landing Gear Control Handle'),    category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Left Vertical Panel')}},
{    down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw,                up = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw,                    cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE,    value_down =  0.0,    value_up = 1.0,    name = _('Launch Bar Control Switch'),        category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Left Vertical Panel')}},

Окурок, выброшенный в урну, гораздо патриотичнее флажочка на автомобиле

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

Why for me after added of these lines are working correctly!...And - these lines.. does not work ?

"Landing Gear Control Handle" - even does not appear in the choice of function in 'Special For Joystick' !!

'Launch Bar Control Switch' (Intended for the EAC switch) - appear, but functions incorrectly, when switch ON - bar extend. After OFF - there is no reaction, after switch ON again - bar retract.

{    down = iCommandPlaneGearUp,                        up = iCommandPlaneGearDown,                                                                                                        name = _('Landing Gear Control Handle'),    category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Left Vertical Panel')}},
{    down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw,                up = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw,                    cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE,    value_down =  0.0,    value_up = 1.0,    name = _('Launch Bar Control Switch'),        category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Left Vertical Panel')}},

When I copy and paste your code line for Gear UP and Down into my "default.lua" it causes havoc. I suspect you have applied some text formatting that causes problems. Which program did you use for editing?

I use the line below which does exactly what you try to do and it works:

{down = iCommandPlaneGearUp, up = iCommandPlaneGearDown, name = _('Landing Gear Control Handle 2-Pos UP/DOWN'),    category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},

For the launch bar the values must be "1.0" and "-1.0" like in my code:

{down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, up = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, value_down =  -1.0, value_up = 1.0,    name = _('Launch Bar Control 2-Pos Switch RETRACT/EXTEND'), category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

When I copy and paste your code line for Gear UP and Down into my "default.lua" it causes havoc. I suspect you have applied some text formatting that causes problems. Which program did you use for editing?

Notepad++

I use the line below which does exactly what you try to do and it works:

{down = iCommandPlaneGearUp, up = iCommandPlaneGearDown, name = _('Landing Gear Control Handle 2-Pos UP/DOWN'),    category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},

Yes !! This is work!

For the launch bar the values must be "1.0" and "-1.0" like in my code:

{down = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, up = gear_commands.LaunchBarSw, cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE, value_down =  -1.0, value_up = 1.0,    name = _('Launch Bar Control 2-Pos Switch RETRACT/EXTEND'), category = {_('Left Vertical Panel')}},

Yes! And this is work perfectly !!

Thanks! :thumbup:

Edited by SMN

TM Wartrhog Stick + VPC MongoosT-50Base + VPC TMW Extension 150mm / TM Wartrhog Throttle / CH Pro Pedals / 2-VPC Deck Mount / TrackIR5/

i5-10600K Over to 5.0MHz/32GbDD4-3200/RTX4070/System-SSD1 DCS-SSD2/32" 2560x1440

Is it possible somehow to make these new commands permanent, so they will not be overwritten every time DCS updates?

Make a JSGME mod and reapply it after every update.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Right. I use the somewhat newer OvGME which does the same thing, to move my mods out and back in when I update. I have 24 mods, and OvGME (or JvGME) makes the process painless.

Only the developers can make the new commands permanent.

LeCuvier

• 1 month later...

Added one more.

NightVision ON/OFF to 17 Warthog Throttle

Name - "NightVision" in "Special Fof Joystick" category

{    down = iCommandViewNightVisionGogglesOn, up = iCommandViewNightVisionGogglesOn,  value_down =  1.0,    value_down = 0.0,  name = _('NightVision')   , category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Sensors')}},

• 1 month later...
Any suggestions regarding the flaps switch on the warthog throttle so that all 3 positions work FULL/HALF/Auto?

Just got on my machine, the flaps for the Hornet are already part of the input by default.

Look for Flaps Switch Auto / Half and then Flaps Switch Full / Half

Hope that helps.

• 4 months later...

Warthog switch mapping

I spent about twenty minutes this afternoon putting this together for those who want to use a Warthog throttle and not use TARGET (which I use most of the time, but I'm thinking about stopping).

Place the following above the CHEAT section near the top of your C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick\default.lua (and your C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\keyboard\default.lua).

---------------------------------------------
-- Mods  ------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------
{    down = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_EXTERIOR_LIGTHS,    up = hotas_commands.THROTTLE_EXTERIOR_LIGTHS,    cockpit_device_id = devices.HOTAS,            value_down =  1.0,    value_up = 0.0,    name = _('Exterior Lights Switch'),            category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Throttle Grip'), _('HOTAS')}},
{    down = iCommandPlaneShipTakeOff,                up = iCommandPlaneShipTakeOff,                                                                                                    name = _('Catapult Hook-Up Switch'),        category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('General')}},
{    down = extlights_commands.LdgTaxi,                up = extlights_commands.LdgTaxi,                cockpit_device_id = devices.EXT_LIGHTS,        value_down =  0.0,    value_up = 1.0,    name = _('LDG/TAXI LIGHT Switch'),            category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Left Vertical Panel')}},
{    down = gear_commands.AntiSkidSw,                up = gear_commands.AntiSkidSw,                    cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE,    value_down =  0.0,    value_up = 1.0,    name = _('Anti Skid Switch'),                category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Left Vertical Panel')}},
{    down = gear_commands.HookHandle,                up = gear_commands.HookHandle,                    cockpit_device_id = devices.GEAR_INTERFACE,    value_down =  1.0,    value_up = 0.0,    name = _('Arresting Hook Handle'),            category = {_('Special For Joystick'), _('Right Vertical Panel')}},

Here's a few explanations for my thinking:

Exterior Lights: Simple, on/off for moving the pinky switch forward and back to center.

Launch Bar: Intended for the Left Fuel Flow switch, it's reversed from the original command's behavior, such that flipping the switch on will set the bar to retract, so your switch position matches that of the switch in the cockpit.

Catapult Hookup: Intended for the Right Fuel Flow switch, it executes the command on both up and down, so you can send the hookup command and then cancel it if you wish by simply flicking the switch off, instead of having to flip it down and then back up.

Landing/Taxi Light: Intended for Left Motor Switch. Flipping the switch down turns the light off, returning it to center turns the light on, so the switch position matches that of the switch in the cockpit. Flipping the switch up to the IGN position is intended to execute "Engine Crank Switch - Cycle Left." You'll have to program that in DCS if you wish to use the momentary position for it.

Anti-Skid Switch: Intended for Right Motor Switch. Flipping the switch down turns the switch off, returning it to center turns the switch on, so the switch position matches that of the switch in the cockpit. Flipping the switch up to the IGN position is intended to execute "Engine Crank Switch - Cycle Right." You'll have to program that in DCS if you wish to use the momentary position for it.

Gear Handle: Intended for the EAC switch. Flipping it up raises the gear, flipping it down lowers the gear.

Hook Handle: Intended for the RDR ALTM switch. Flipping it up raises the hook, flipping it down lowers the hook.

Also, here's what I set the other switches/buttons on the throttle to:

Pinky Switch back: Not used. I might use something later, but haven't come up with anything yet. Could be used for the ejection seat.

Left Throttle Button: Cage/Uncage Button

Slew Control: Throttle Designator Controller - Depress. X/Y axis are set to control the TDC.

Coolie Hat up: Radar Elevation Control - Up

Coolie Hat down: Radar Elevation Control - Down

Coolie Hat left: RAID/FLIR FOV Select Button

Coolie Hat right: ATC Engage/Disengage Switch

Mic Switch press: VR Zoom (under UI Layer)

Mic Switch up: COMM Switch - COMM 1

Mic Switch down: COMM Switch - COMM 2

Mic Switch left: COMM Switch - MIDS B

Mic Switch right: COMM Switch - MIDS A

Speed Brake forward: Speed Brake Switch - RETRACT/OFF

Speed Brake back: Speed Brake Switch - EXTEND

Boat Switch forward: DISPENSER Switch - BYPASS/ON

Boat Switch back: DISPENSER Switch - OFF/ON

China Hat forward: Dispense Switch - Forward(CHAFF)/Center(OFF)

China Hat back: Dispense Switch - Aft(FLARE)/Center(OFF)

APU switch: APU Control Sw (special) - ON/OFF. If you use this, you'll have to flip the switch off when the APU automatically shuts off during startup to have it match the switch position. You can also use "APU Control Switch - ON/OFF," in which case flipping the switch only toggles the switches' position. This means during startup, you should flip it up to turn it on, then immediately flip it off so it will match switch position after auto shut-off.

L/G WRN: MASTER CAUTION Reset Button

Flap switch up: FLAP Switch - AUTO/HALF

Flap switch down: FLAP Switch - FULL/HALF

Autopilot Engage/Disengage button: Fuel Dump Switch - ON/OFF

Autopilot switch up: Probe Control Switch - EXTEND/RETRACT

Autopilot switch down: Probe Control Switch - EMERG EXTD/RETRACT

Throttle Left Idle: Throttle (Left) - OFF/IDLE

Throttle Right Idle: Throttle (Right) - OFF/IDLE

Hope this helps anyone who's having issues setting up their Warthog throttle!

Hello RogueSqn,

As a bit of a novice with changes to files such as the .lua ammendments you're talking about, if I am to do this to the stable version, as opposed to the OB version can you tell me where I need to place the file.

Someone else also mentioned how this would not be maintained when I update to another stable version. Is there a workaround for this?

I am also presuming I can simply copy the original files to the desktop in case the whole thing goes pear shaped, is that right?

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

• 4 weeks later...