VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank you again for creating this mod, and for continuing to keep it updated. I am still getting a 25% - 30% fps improvement on my system.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone confirm that this mod does not work with the A-10C? Recently I've been flying the Hog a lot in VR and that's been the one thing keeping me from trying out this mod.

See posts 773-780 here.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Ah, I see, it's not that it doesn't work with the A-10C, it's just that the A-10C doesn't benefit from that particular tweak.

Correct.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I noticed it's for an older Open Beta version though...is anyone running this on 2.5.4.30386?

Works for me. Any issues I've ever had were caused by my not following the installation instructions carefully enough. I now use a batch file for this, since I reapply every time there's an update to DCSW. This works without issue for me every time.

xcopy Bazar "D:\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar"\ /E /Y

del "D:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\misc\metacache\dcs\*.*" /Q

del "D:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Nevada\misc\metacache\dcs\*.*" /Q

del "D:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Normandy\misc\metacache\dcs\*.*" /Q

del "D:\Users\<user_name>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\fxo\*.*" /Q

del "D:\Users\<user_name>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\metashaders\*.*" /Q

del "D:\Users\<user_name>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\metashaders2\*.*" /Q

D:\DCS World OpenBeta\ is my DCS installation folder. Bazar is the mod folder source. D:\Users\<user_name>\ will most likely be different for you.

When the shaders are deleted, it can easily take up to 5 minutes for the game to load into a mission. Even though it looks as it the game has crashed, this is normal, just wait and the mission will eventually load. This only happens once (per terrain?).

Files are deleted / overwritten, so I always keep a backup just in case.

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Ah, I see, it's not that it doesn't work with the A-10C, it's just that the A-10C doesn't benefit from that particular tweak.

But that may change when the BS2 and A10C get it's updated textures from ED.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Well, after 45 minutes of waiting for the shaders to load, I found that they do not play nicely with fog/dust. I have a mission with dust visibility set to 9000ft, which looks perfect without the shaders mod, but with the shaders mod the dust obscures everything, even the inside of the cockpit.

Well, after 45 minutes of waiting for the shaders to load, I found that they do not play nicely with fog/dust. I have a mission with dust visibility set to 9000ft, which looks perfect without the shaders mod, but with the shaders mod the dust obscures everything, even the inside of the cockpit.

Yes, the fact is that this mod is a compromise. I personally don't use it as there are too many visual artefacts and degradations for very little benefit to me. Still, it's good that we have it, as a lot of other people get a benefit from it.

after 45 minutes of waiting (..)dust obscures everything

Dust (yikes!) - I had NEVER tried this setting before, so wasn't aware of this problem. I do get some glitches, but am prepared to live with them for the 25%+ fps improvement I get.

45 minutes ?! I've never been anywhere close to that. In your shoes, I'd be concerned that something is not correctly configured on my system...

imacken's post is spot on. My top two priorities for VR are MSAAx4 AND >= 90fps. The mod enables this for me (simple missions with most eye-candy off). I suspect that it is the AA part of the mod that is doing most of the heavy lifting for me, it's unfortunate that you can't just pick and choose the bits you want (or can you?).

Screen_190525_120842.thumb.png.2c5286d3f6c364ff5ffff57e3cfa5d18.png

I can live without MSAA, but it's the shadows and weather (like fog, dust) that I can't live without. Apparently, by some twisted logic, DCS shadows are CPU bound and not GPU bound, so unless I overclock or upgrade to an i7 I'm pretty much stuck.

• 2 weeks later...

2.5.5 does not like this mod unfortunately :(

shadererror.png.0028eb9a574e54a12944f8337beebb19.png

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Just don't copy the model folder.

Didn't work for me.

I was able to get it going by adding the following lines at the top of two files:

.../Bazar/shaders/model/functions/glass.hlsl

#include "functions/aorms.hlsl"

.../Bazar/shaders/model/functions/ambient_occlusion.hlsl

#include "functions/structs.hlsl"

edit: Spoke to soon. Worked for the Huey, but didn't work for some other modules like the MiG-15.

Edited by JoeyJoJoJunior

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

I got it working by doing the following two steps after installing the VR mod - I've only tested for the F-14 and the F-18

Revert file to original

Bazar\shaders\model\functions\glass.hlsl

Edit includes at the top

Bazar\shaders\model\mirror_material.fx

#include "common/textures.hlsl"
#include "common/uniforms.hlsl"
#include "functions/vertex_shader.hlsl"
#include "functions/matParams.hlsl"
#include "functions/impostor.hlsl"
#include "common/shader_macroses.hlsl"
#include "common/states.hlsl"
#include "common/states11.hlsl"
#include "functions/vt_utils.hlsl"

That being said, the 2.5.5 update actually increased the performance on my system, the stuttering I usually experience was totally gone. Looking forward to the huge VR optimization in the next OB :thumbup:

Modda

i9-9900KS @5.2GHz | Aorus Z390 Master | MSI RTX 3090 Gaming X Trio | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TM Warthog | Logitech G Pro

I got it working by doing the following two steps after installing the VR mod - I've only tested for the F-14 and the F-18

Revert file to original

Bazar\shaders\model\functions\glass.hlsl

Edit includes at the top

Bazar\shaders\model\mirror_material.fx

#include "common/textures.hlsl"
#include "common/uniforms.hlsl"
#include "functions/vertex_shader.hlsl"
#include "functions/matParams.hlsl"
#include "functions/impostor.hlsl"
#include "common/shader_macroses.hlsl"
#include "common/states.hlsl"
#include "common/states11.hlsl"
#include "functions/vt_utils.hlsl"

That being said, the 2.5.5 update actually increased the performance on my system, the stuttering I usually experience was totally gone. Looking forward to the huge VR optimization in the next OB :thumbup:

Modda

Doesnt work for me :/

Maybe I am doing something wrong. Would you share your files?

Proud owner of DCS: FC3, A-10C Warthog, F-14A/B Tomcat, F-5E Tiger, Mig21bis Fishbed, Mirage 2000C, Nevada Test Site, Normandy, Ka-50 Black Shark, Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle, Bf 109 K-4 Kurfurst, FW 190 D-9 Dora, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-51D Mustang Combined Arms, Hawk T.1A, L-39 Albatros, NS 430 Nav System, F-86F Sabre, MiG-15bis, AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL, F/A-18C Hornet, Yak-52 and the mighty AJS-37 Viggen! :music_whistling:

There were even more changes needed since last OB 2.5.5.32299.

I've updated the dependencies in the Kegetys vr mod and it seems to be working at least on F/A-18, F-14B, Mig-21bis, M2000 Mirage, P-51D and A-10C.

I haven't tested what the FPS impact really is from vanilla DCS.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1psMHQEFVNy26B6nnYHnwoEYxNclQBzOH

EDIT: No doubt, with this mod I'm on pretty steady 45fps downtown Dubai at low altitude (some drops occurs when touching the streets). Without it it's more steady 30-35 with high's at 45.

Edited by modda

i9-9900KS @5.2GHz | Aorus Z390 Master | MSI RTX 3090 Gaming X Trio | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TM Warthog | Logitech G Pro

@modda, got your files to work, then went to multiplayer.... :( so tried to replace the non compliant files with the ones in the back up, did not work. Did notice there was an improvement in single player though. But I mostly play MP

| CyperPower PC | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ 4.4 GHz | 64Gb DDR4 3200 MHz | Radeon RX 5700 8Gb | 32" Samsung Curve| Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster T160000 HOTAS + Rudder Pedals | Windows 10-64 |

@modda, got your files to work, then went to multiplayer.... :( so tried to replace the non compliant files with the ones in the back up, did not work. Did notice there was an improvement in single player though. But I mostly play MP

Thanks for the feedback! I didn't consider MP to be a factor here, I'll look into it tonight.

Tested this with my PiMax 5K+. Really helped FPS on the deck of the carrier. I'm running 150x SS and couldn't hold 45 (Brain warp on). Sitting at the start of the Caucus cold start carrier mission. After applying this mod I was able to hold 45 no problem. I did need to make this change in _HMD.hlsl:

#define MASKSIZE 0.590f

This got rid of almost all of the masking for the PiMax in Normal FOV. @modda is there a way to make the mask more oval to better mach wide FOV headsets? increasing to .59 meant the top and bottom had less masking than needed.

Processor: i7-8700K CPU @ 5.1GHz (OC)

Memory: 16384MB RAM DDR 4266

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080TI FE

VR: PiMax 5K+

HDD: Samsung SSD 960 EVO

HDD: WD SSD WDS100T2B0A-00SM50