VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

This mod has nothing to do with ED, and no, it wouldn't be 'better for everyone'. I don't use the mod as it has all sorts of graphical artifacts, including loss of shallows on coasts, strange looking sun, grass, etc.

It has no benefit for users with top-end systems. It does seem to give some benefit to those on lower spec systems, but that performance benefit comes at a cost.

Not the whole mod (thought that was obvious given the line I actually quoted) but JUST the " incorrect sRGB gamma applied by the game" bit. Seems like something that really should have been caught by ED before now.

Can someone prepare instructions on how to make this OvGME compatible, or provide a script so that OP can use that to pack his release with it? Updating original post with this info would be great, too.

EDIT: I can write a batch script no problem, but I don't know where to plug it in OvGME and what the directory structure should be like etc.

It's almost like ED is doing the touted VR optimisations on Valve time ;-)))

Edited by StarLightPL

It already is...

You have to manually delete a few folders full of compiled shaders though. I'm not at my gaming rig so I can't check right now but just throw it in your OVGME mods folder. This mod gets installed in your DCS install directory instead of your saved games profile folder though.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

It already is...

You have to manually delete a few folders full of compiled shaders though. I'm not at my gaming rig so I can't check right now but just throw it in your OVGME mods folder. This mod gets installed in your DCS install directory instead of your saved games profile folder though.

I honestly don't know why you say that. It is not already in OvGME format. The folder structure is not correct for the software to apply it correctly, and also, there are folders to delete contents of, as well as folders to be deleted.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I say that because I use it with OVGME with no mods to the folder structure?

I manually delete the right files in the terrain folders (I can't remember the location specifically), and I delete my metashaders and fxo folders in my saved games profile folder...

I don't rename the folders. That step is really a backup so you can get the old stuff back, but if you just delete the metashaders files it re-creates them. If you don't like the mod, then remove the mod and delete the metashaders files again, and it will again recreate them.

It works just fine with OVGME... It will never just be a plug and play in the way that many OVGME mods are because you need to clear the contents of a few folders.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I say that because I use it with OVGME with no mods to the folder structure?

It works just fine with OVGME... It will never just be a plug and play in the way that many OVGME mods are because you need to clear the contents of a few folders.

It works fine if you modify it and put it in the required OvGME format. See the help section.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

OK, I am officially confused by what one or two of you are saying.

OvGME needs the zip to be in a specific format. The download on the first page is not in that format.

See attachments. First one shows the list of mods I have in the appropriate OvGME folder. As you can see it includes the shader mod as downloaded from page 1 here. It does not show up on the list in ovGME as it is not in the format as described in the Help section on OvGME.

It needs to be put in that format to show up for me.

Can someone please explain how you guys are getting this to work without putting it into the appropriate format?

OK, I am officially confused by what one or two of you are saying.

OvGME needs the zip to be in a specific format. The download on the first page is not in that format.

See attachments. First one shows the list of mods I have in the appropriate OvGME folder. As you can see it includes the shader mod as downloaded from page 1 here. It does not show up on the list in ovGME as it is not in the format as described in the Help section on OvGME.

It needs to be put in that format to show up for me.

Can someone please explain how you guys are getting this to work without putting it into the appropriate format?

There has to be a top level directory, usually with the name of the mod, and the actual mod inside that directory. There should be nothing else in the zip other than that top level directory (no readme, for example).

So for this VR mod, all you have to do is create a folder called "Kegetys VR Mod" or something like that, extract the mod in there, and zip up that folder. The structure should be "Kegetys VR Mod\Bazar\..."

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

There has to be a top level directory, usually with the name of the mod, and the actual mod inside that directory. There should be nothing else in the zip other than that top level directory (no readme, for example).

So for this VR mod, all you have to do is create a folder called "Kegetys VR Mod" or something like that, extract the mod in there, and zip up that folder. The structure should be "Kegetys VR Mod\Bazar\..."

I think you misunderstood my post, I was trying point out this fact!

Edited by imacken

I think you misunderstood my post, I was trying point out this fact!

Oops, I see that now :) I think I might be able to answer your actual question though. I notice that OvGME works just fine if you have the folder structure directly and no zip file. So if someone uses the "Extract to \DCS VR Shaders performance mod 2.5.5.33174" option in their archive program to unzip into their mods folder, OvGME will pick it up the same as if it was in a zip.

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

Oops, I see that now :) I think I might be able to answer your actual question though. I notice that OvGME works just fine if you have the folder structure directly and no zip file. So if someone uses the "Extract to \DCS VR Shaders performance mod 2.5.5.33174" option in their archive program to unzip into their mods folder, OvGME will pick it up the same as if it was in a zip.

Right, I see what you mean. To be honest, I didn't even realise that you could do it without zipping. I guess the downside of the method you suggest is that the 'readme' file (or any other files outside the mod folder) in the original zip file will also copy across to the main DCS install folder.

Also, doing it that way doesn't allow any description or version number in the OvGME window unlike the zip method. Descriptions and version numbers can be VERY useful if you have a few mods.

• 2 weeks later...
Quick update to DCS version 2.5.5.34644 added in the first post. Didn't have time to test it almost at all, hopefully it works ok :)

Thank you kindly for the update. Works well with the HP Reverb in VR. Always appreciate your work and contibutions to the community. Cheers :thumbup::)

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

I'm getting a pure client error after installing this

Like it says you will in line one of the FAQ in the first post...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg