VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

I probably wouldn't bother with mods if I had your system, but then I'm guessing the Reverb is very demanding.

Well, I certainly don't use the mod discussed here for the reasons I have already stated, but some mods are essential. Examples are the ones to sharpen up the Hornet and Viper MFD font to make them less blurry in VR. Additionally, mods to enlarge the FPS font, etc.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yeah, it was useful for me - especially with my older system (i5 2500k Sandybridge and RTX2060) and I didn't notice as many artefacts as others did, plus I didn't have any issues around the edges of my vision - they showed up in screenshots - but in the headset there were no issues.

Was still stuck at 45fps, but it was a big step up in consistent performance. This in Rift CV1.

A pretty cheap upgrade to Haswell and an i54690k (running at the same 4.3GHz as the previous cpu) and I was already better off and stoppped using the mod. I did notice the improvements Wags said they had made. okay, still not ideal performance, but enough to make the experience smooth. This now on an Index at 90Hz and 150% resolution.

Now I have the i7 4770k - still Haswell - and a 2080Ti, again releatively cheap to buy (if you can call £800 for a graphics card cheap! - it is compared to some of the prices for that card) and things are really looking a whole lot better, because I have been able to increase settings that previously were always at the minimum. I'm also now on 120Hz and 112% res, as recommended in SteamVR, and things are starting to look nice.

But I still watch some videos on YouTube and wonder if we are going to see it like that in VR in my lifetime. I doubt it very much - though I do expect improvements, and this is much more than I could have dreamed about when I was first gobsmacked by the appearance of the first ever home computer helicopter simulator back in the early 80's, with wireframe graphics on a 12 inch green screen with either keyboard control or a Kempston 2 button stick for the lucky rich guys.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I neglected to mention the one very, very disappointing thing that I don't think any mods are going to make much difference to, and that's how poor the airfields look in VR - especially the AI aircraft. (edit - the more modern maps have better airfield structures and objects in VR, Caucasus is very bad for me- but I mean the aircraft, anyway).

I really try and ignore other aircraft on the ground - especially at certain times of day, and it may well be because we can't use the settings required to make them look good. The word that comes to mind is 'hideous'. We're not allowed to compare other sims directly, so I'll just say it's the worst I experience today in this single regard.

This is the main thing that would make me much happier in VR, now the performance (for me, of course) is good enough to enjoy flying and combat again.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I tried this mod both on 2.5.5 and 2.5.6 and didn’t really notice much of a difference in performance. Am I correct in my assumption that if my cpu is bottlenecked but my gpu is good then this won’t really improve performance much?

What I’m getting at is most of the improvements that this mod does, seem to be gpu related, not cpu.

depends, i tend to see improvement in heavy unit scenarios on 2.5.5, in terms of more frametime available, its like 1 or 2 ms, but that's a 9 or 18% margin of improvement so not trivial ... in the context of keeping things at 45fps

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I was doing some benchmark testing with the mod enabled. That worked fine and I was just going to remove the mod and test some more, but I noticed that the "Mods\terrains\PersianGulf\misc\metacache" directory did not contain a dcs directory, just the dcs.old that I renamed. Any idea why that would be? I thought it was supposed to regenerate that directory and files inside. After removing the mod and flying for around 30 seconds of the persian gulf free flight mission, that dir was still not there. Maybe I was confused and those files are not generated? Thanks!

no it doesnt regenerate that direcory it regenerates the data in fxo and metashaders2

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

I was doing some benchmark testing with the mod enabled. That worked fine and I was just going to remove the mod and test some more, but I noticed that the "Mods\terrains\PersianGulf\misc\metacache" directory did not contain a dcs directory, just the dcs.old that I renamed. Any idea why that would be? I thought it was supposed to regenerate that directory and files inside. After removing the mod and flying for around 30 seconds of the persian gulf free flight mission, that dir was still not there. Maybe I was confused and those files are not generated? Thanks!

How many times in this thread is this question going to be asked? Those folders do not get regenerated!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks for the answer and snark. I must have missed in in the 110 pages of this thread? These megathreads are ridiculous, but I digress. This guys guide said they would be regenerated:

He tells you to delete them, install the mod and they would get regenerated. I guess he is wrong, but the game seemed to work ok without them.

The data they contain is regenerated, just not in the same location, it’s right, but wrong

Any ETA on when this mod will be updated to the latest DCS version?

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Latest mod version works fine with latest DCS beta

Win10 Pro, Intel i9 9700k @5GHz, GeForce RTX 2080 TI, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 @3200MHz RAM, MSI z390 Gaming Plus, HP Reverb Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD Base, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (for DCS), Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (for Win10), Philips PHL 274E

Latest mod version works fine with latest DCS beta

I have it working, but it wont pass IC. Tried the IC updates in this thread, and still not able to pass IC. Unless I missed one somewhere.

It would be nice to have the IC compliant updates added to the first post as well.

Intel i7 9700k, 64GB DDR4 (Corsair), Gigabyte Z390 Master, RTX 2080 Ti AMP 11gb, 500GB Sabrent Rocket (System), 1TB XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 (DCS), Windows 11 64-bit Pro, Samsung 49" 4K CRG9 Monitor (5120x1440), Samsung Odyssey Plus, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Various streamdecks, button boxes, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Corsair K95 Platinum, Iron Claw mouse.

DCS OB, F-14B Tomcat, F-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper, A-10C Warthog, F-5 Tiger II, AV-8B Harrier, P-51D Mustang, FC3, Super Carrier

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, (3) Cougar MFD's, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, (2) Stream Decks, (1) Stream Deck XL, (1) Stream Deck Mini, Misc Button Boxes

Anyone happen to know what the MASKSIZE setting should be for the Odyssey +?? I found the Odyssey is .575. Not sure if that is the same for the + model or not.

Intel i7 9700k, 64GB DDR4 (Corsair), Gigabyte Z390 Master, RTX 2080 Ti AMP 11gb, 500GB Sabrent Rocket (System), 1TB XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 (DCS), Windows 11 64-bit Pro, Samsung 49" 4K CRG9 Monitor (5120x1440), Samsung Odyssey Plus, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Various streamdecks, button boxes, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Corsair K95 Platinum, Iron Claw mouse.

DCS OB, F-14B Tomcat, F-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper, A-10C Warthog, F-5 Tiger II, AV-8B Harrier, P-51D Mustang, FC3, Super Carrier

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, (3) Cougar MFD's, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, (2) Stream Decks, (1) Stream Deck XL, (1) Stream Deck Mini, Misc Button Boxes

I'm getting failed to compile errors:

I have successfully installed and reinstalled shaders mod when needed accept for this last update of 2.5.6. I am getting same error messages as #1097 Hazzer and it breaks DCS and will not start. Will there be an update or am I missing something?

Edited by Gamaray

you will need to reinstall the shaders mod with each update, i would also uninstall it before each update

Edited by speed-of-heat

Issue was that I was running the minimal version to pass the integrity check however when doing that with this version it fails to compile.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

I got by with a MASKSIZE of 0.550 with the Odyssey+

Thank you!!!

Is there no compatible version for 2.5.5.41962?

from memory the one for 2.5.5.41371 works

from memory the one for 2.5.5.41371 works

No luck with this one... I am getting a compiling error:

I am loading the DCS Performance Mod for 2.5.5.41371 then I load the DCS VR Shaders 2.5.6 (ICPass) mod.

7131595_Annotation2020-03-08133855.jpg.678849831f64c625ae93d0b33a18a019.jpg

LOVE this shader pack, T H A N K Y O U !!! ==== Quick question please☺:

After learning what a trainwreck the last update patch was for most I have locked my DCS.exe and won't let it update. My current DCS.exe runs better with this pack in VR and I am afraid to screw it up.

This is my goal is to not screw up.

With that understood, is it recommended yet to go ahead and update to latest Beta WITH its improved lighting etc WITH this VR Shader pack yet or is that flirting with failure?

Guys, if the new update patch helps I will risk it, if it has ruined lives then I will wait and keep an eye on the forums for good news.

One last question for anyone that is in the know please:

I read the Reddit release where ED essentially assign near to long term for where they are honestly focusing their teams efforts this year.

What I gather from their provided chart is that all the current DLC is the focus for completing and repairing for near term which she defined as within maybe 6 months-ish. According to their chart it looks like 91% of their team and efforts is dedicated to DLC. There is more info aside from Kate's main article scattered through the comments below it.

The remaining 9% of their teams efforts for 2020 she described as possibly but not likely going towards Vulkan or any form of focused optimization of what she described as their confusing and very outdated spaghetti code for better performance. Their words not mine, although I have said so for 5 years now.

This Kate prescribed as a possible Long-Term goal before they would address assigning that as perhaps as much as 18 months down the road or more.

With that said, by them and not me; I am asking those in this forum that know what they are talking about --

--Is this VR shader pack being worked on still to make up for ED's lack of efforts for VR and general optimization, or is this pack the end product please? Simple question, I only wish to know what to expect and IF any improvments are being worked on still in this VR Shader pack☺.

Also, A N Y advice any of you have for me to keep this awesome shader pack running well, if not even better would be very much appreciated.

Like all of you I just want to fly.

I look for any way to kill stutters and blurs and if my experience can be improved by any of you I am grateful and seeking to learn more about that.

Again I THANK YOU for this awesome shader pack. It alone has kept me from throwing in the towel and uninstalling untill 2025 or 'far term', so to speak☺.