VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

I am new to DCS, I played around lately to optimize my FPS. I am using a GTX-1080. I was already searching for a new GPU. But noticed quickly that even the newest GPU still aren't able to run DCS in VR that well. I am going to give this mod a shot. It seems that it's created in 2018, and updated last year for the last time, correct? Or is there a other more recent version somwhere else maintained? Also, if this is such a boost for VR, why is this still not implemented by default in the game by ED as an "installable" from within the menu. Or why not by default by just enabling an extra checkbox under VR tab called "optimize textures/shaders for VR".

Seems that this shouldn't be to hard to implement? Or is ED working on VR improvement themselves? Anyways I hope this mod helps otherwise the game is unplayable in VR for me. At least with my current GPU. 

Its been updated so and so, but more or less compatible with every new patch as of late.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

On 7/11/2018 at 11:08 AM, Pikey said:

For those of you that don't know Kegety's (possible for the young) he's been improving visuals and making tools for well over 14 years for sims such as arma, flashpoint, dangerous waters, driving sims as well as SoftTH which was awesome in it's prime. So in terms of "why cannot ED do it" or other silly comments, you need to realise the man's qualifications first before starting typing. http://www.kegetys.fi

Ask him? Or pay him, or hire someone else. We pay you. If ED don't step up their VR side of things others will. I am new so my comment is not valuable in that regard. But that's how I see it. I personally only play in VR. DCS seems to be the first one that I can't run. All settings to low except textures otherwise can't read text clearly in cockpit, while I have reverb g2. I currently have the resolution scaled down to the point where at least the cockpit is acceptable. The rest I don't care about, everything is set to Off amd Low in graphics. Also nvidea control panel config changed for optimal results. Also GPU amd CPU OC. I know all this VR tech is new, and I don't blame anyine for DCS not being abke to run as I hoped it would. But I read questions of 2 years back about VR optimization, yet it looks like it's going to be opposite. Anyway, I will first try this mod. If that don't work I will just buy a $2k+ GPU I guess.

7 minutes ago, Rens said:

Ask him? Or pay him, or hire someone else. We pay you. If ED don't step up their VR side of things others will. I am new so my comment is not valuable in that regard. But that's how I see it. I personally only play in VR. DCS seems to be the first one that I can't run. All settings to low except textures otherwise can't read text clearly in cockpit, while I have reverb g2. I currently have the resolution scaled down to the point where at least the cockpit is acceptable. The rest I don't care about, everything is set to Off amd Low in graphics. Also nvidea control panel config changed for optimal results. Also GPU amd CPU OC. I know all this VR tech is new, and I don't blame anyine for DCS not being abke to run as I hoped it would. But I read questions of 2 years back about VR optimization, yet it looks like it's going to be opposite. Anyway, I will first try this mod. If that don't work I will just buy a $2k+ GPU I guess.

iam  quite the opposite  havnt  got  the  mod  installed  using  rifts  vr   and  have  no issues  reading  or  seeing  the  screen,  have  settings  in  dcs  set  to med  to high

Edited by pete_auau

6 hours ago, Rens said:

This is completely offtopic because Shaders mod is about making DCS run smoother not making it suddenly able to read text or whatever your principle complaint is (which is difficult to tell). If you cant read text with a G2 its an eyesight defect or you are not wearing the HMD correctly, it's well known for its visual clarity. That might seem offensive but its meant sincerely, there are a large number of people out there who believe you dont need glasses for VR, or who have reached that age of 40 and their eyesight is changing as is normal. I correct my vision, I downsample to 1.2 in SSS and use medium or low textures and can read everything with corrected vision.

17 hours ago, karpiyon said:

Is this good for the last version of DCS?
I see all kind of errors related to shader in DCS.log.

Errors during compiling of the new textures are expected and normal. After the instlalation there is a long time of bedding in during compiling and you should attempt to run DCS and as many misisons with different objects as possible in order to provoke the compilation process so that you can finally benefit from smoother texture loading, but this process takes longer than people think.

• Like 2

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Given that this is @Kegetys mod, my observation is he updates it when it breaks , usually within a week or so, he has not needed to do so for a considerable while , so the mod has not been updated.

We all know there are visual compromises made in the mod in order to improve performance (if you don't then you do if you are reading this) it is those compromises that ED is trying to avoid (In my opinion), and whilst it would be nice if they included something like it, their development effort for perf improvement is mostly focused elsewhere on a more strategic goal.

If the MOD isn't working then by all means ask , and ask nicely without drama to have it fixed, if you have an improvement to suggest, by all means suggest it politely without drama.  But do have the courtesy to test it first, and not just ask "is it working with the current build"... because the answer is usually in the absence of comments saying its broken on the current build. 

In short, don't complain on this thread if the MOD hasn't been updated, if its still working, or if you want it included in core DCS (direct your comments at ED for this) or if you do expect short shrift. 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

These shaders are meant to downgrade graphics, I dont understand why people complain about that little tidbit. People, this downgrades your graphics in such a manner as to not be all that noticeable while at the same time increasing your FPS. Use FPSvr or something and tweak it to your needs. I had to take a few hours to do that, and I fly just fine with what I have now.

• Like 2

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

16 hours ago, pete_auau said:

iam  quite the opposite  havnt  got  the  mod  installed  using  rifts  vr   and  have  no issues  reading  or  seeing  the  screen,  have  settings  in  dcs  set  to med  to high

What system do you have, I'd like to know, because I will be upgrading mine purely for DCS. Right now I have set everything to low/off, and have resolution per eye set to 2832x2768, which seemed the absolute maximum to keep somewhat of a smooth experience. I could lower it a little bit but then the text will be less visible to read. At least that's the case for me.

Also have been looking at other ways to optimize DCS for VR. I found this video (3 weeks old) perhaps it's helpful for others out there! It also includes this Mod specifically.

9 hours ago, Pikey said:

This is completely offtopic because Shaders mod is about making DCS run smoother not making it suddenly able to read text or whatever your principle complaint is (which is difficult to tell). If you cant read text with a G2 its an eyesight defect or you are not wearing the HMD correctly, it's well known for its visual clarity. That might seem offensive but its meant sincerely, there are a large number of people out there who believe you dont need glasses for VR, or who have reached that age of 40 and their eyesight is changing as is normal. I correct my vision, I downsample to 1.2 in SSS and use medium or low textures and can read everything with corrected vision.

Errors during compiling of the new textures are expected and normal. After the instlalation there is a long time of bedding in during compiling and you should attempt to run DCS and as many misisons with different objects as possible in order to provoke the compilation process so that you can finally benefit from smoother texture loading, but this process takes longer than people think.

No I know that, my main issue is the FPS at the given resolution per eye (2832x2768), I actually have everything set to low/off to get the best possible FPS. With that resolution I can read the cockpit fine. I could maybe lower it a little bit more, but then it would become less and less clear obviously.

8 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

Given that this is @Kegetys mod, my observation is he updates it when it breaks , usually within a week or so, he has not needed to do so for a considerable while , so the mod has not been updated.

We all know there are visual compromises made in the mod in order to improve performance (if you don't then you do if you are reading this) it is those compromises that ED is trying to avoid (In my opinion), and whilst it would be nice if they included something like it, their development effort for perf improvement is mostly focused elsewhere on a more strategic goal.

If the MOD isn't working then by all means ask , and ask nicely without drama to have it fixed, if you have an improvement to suggest, by all means suggest it politely without drama.  But do have the courtesy to test it first, and not just ask "is it working with the current build"... because the answer is usually in the absence of comments saying its broken on the current build. 

In short, don't complain on this thread if the MOD hasn't been updated, if its still working, or if you want it included in core DCS (direct your comments at ED for this) or if you do expect short shrift. 

Just to be clear, I am not trying to be drama queen 😛 I haven't tried the mod yet, I was planning on doing so this weekend, hence I asked upfront if it still works. I was only sharing my experience compared to other VR games. DCS is the only one I can't run properly in VR (to my liking). But I do understand that DCS isn't the regular game, which is why I like it so much. I will forward my experience towards ED directly, this isn't the place to share that, you are right 🙂

8 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

These shaders are meant to downgrade graphics, I dont understand why people complain about that little tidbit. People, this downgrades your graphics in such a manner as to not be all that noticeable while at the same time increasing your FPS. Use FPSvr or something and tweak it to your needs. I had to take a few hours to do that, and I fly just fine with what I have now.

Not complaining, haven't tried the mod yet at all 🙂 planning on doing that this evening or tomorrow. I actually prefer FPS over graphics (at least in VR). Yes I am using FPSvr too, it's a great tool.

Anyway, thanks for all the input, and please understand that I value anyone who have been or might be contributing to this game in whatever way. 😘

• Like 1

Have you tried turning off simple transparency i the config file?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

7 hours ago, Rens said:

What system do you have, I'd like to know, because I will be upgrading mine purely for DCS. Right now I have set everything to low/off, and have resolution per eye set to 2832x2768, which seemed the absolute maximum to keep somewhat of a smooth experience. I could lower it a little bit but then the text will be less visible to read. At least that's the case for me.

Also have been looking at other ways to optimize DCS for VR. I found this video (3 weeks old) perhaps it's helpful for others out there! It also includes this Mod specifically.

At  the  moment i got windows  10 pro, I7 8700 cpu 3.7,   gtx 1080ti, 2  500  ssd  drives,  going  to upgrade  my  pc  as  well  in the  next half  year  seeing  what happens  with the latest  graphic  cards  seeing  which one  is  the best  the  3090  or  the  3070 series

Edited by pete_auau

Am 17.2.2021 um 23:20 schrieb Hammer1-1:

all you have to do is update your sim when a new patch drops. The mod will get placed in a backup folder in the main directory (if you are like me and just drag/drop the shader mod into the main directory) and you just pull them out of the backup folder and reinstall them from there. If you use OVGME, then you just untick the box then retick it after the patch updates.

Thanks so much....i´ll try that as soon as the next update is live 😉

"...dont kill me because i´m calling the F-16 the Fighting Falcon...i´m born in 1977 ;)"

MY SYSTEM: Intel i9 13900KF @ 24x 3,0Ghz | MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 | NVidia Geforce RTX 4090 | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64Gb RAM @5200Mhz | Varjo Aero | 2x Samsung 980Pro M.2 NVMe SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Rudder | Win10 Pro | DCS Open Beta | Voice Attack
MOTION RIG: DOF Reality H6 with new SFU motors + Witmotion Sensor (Motion Compensation)
CURRENTLY FLYING: F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-14A/B Tomcat | AH-64D Apache

On 3/10/2021 at 1:10 PM, Hammer1-1 said:

there are a few people here that modify the files and post them under their sigs. what problems are you having specifically?

I mainly play with rotating birds. The rotor blade disappears, the instruments are ugly. "Veiled" so it can't be enjoyed.
The mod worked well for a long time, but it is no longer enjoyable for me.

Then you are seeing something I dont. I play rotors myself, and I find them quite legible. Post a screen and lets take a look.

My wallpaper and skins

11 hours ago, beci43 said:

The rotor blade disappears, the instruments are ugly.

Just tested, the rotor blades are in place (rotor shadow flickering remains as well, sadly).

On 7/9/2018 at 1:14 AM, Kegetys said:

- Simple transparent objects rendering, ie. propellers and smoke

Sir, you are a lifesaver. This has just cut DCS memory usage 4 times without any additional actions. 

The only thing is helicopter rotors still flicker their shadows. If these were somehow made mostly transparent and their shadows turned into a semi-transparent circle (or turned off altogether), this would be a perfect fit for me. 

• Like 1

They are not vulching... they are STRAFING!!! :smartass::thumbup:

Anyone else having problems with SU25T TV (skval) screen being very white?

There is a APC in that view somewhere buy I cannot see it! I think it is this mod causing it but haven't yet uninstall to test it.

PSX_20210403_154159.jpg

Edited by jib

Mods I use: KA-50 JTAC - Better Fire and Smoke - Unchain Rudder from trim KA50 - Sim FFB for G940 - Beczl Rocket Pods Updated!

Processor: Intel Q6600 @ 3.00GHz

GPU: GeForce MSI RTX 2060 6GB

RAM: Crucial 8GB DDR2

HDD: 1TBGB Crucial SSD

Peripherals: Logitech G940 Hotas, TrackiR 5, Voice Activated commands , Sharkoon 5.1 headset. ,Touch Control for iPad, JoyToKey

I'd like to try this but every link I click on goes absolutely nowhere. Does anybody know where Kegety's shaders are currently posted. 

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

1 hour ago, RackMonkey said:

I'd like to try this but every link I click on goes absolutely nowhere. Does anybody know where Kegety's shaders are currently posted. 

The links of the 1st post  works ... as do the links on my variants pages 

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 2