VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

11 minutes ago, Gabi_tro said:

ahh?? I described the issue I m having! What info are you talking about?

I don t even know why I m answering. You are that kind of guy that is here for anything else but helping 😉

We have no idea of your hardware, software, configuration in dcs, or when you experience the problem, there is no quantifiable measurement of “jerky” and no data on “before”... for anyone to do anything other than say “I don’t know”...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

It makes about 1.6ms difference to the GPU frametime depending on settings etc...

24 minutes ago, Gabi_tro said:

I understand. I m sorry I bothered you! 

You didn’t

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

To whomever did this mod, and/or made the last changes: Thanks! You've made 2.7 usable for me in VR, with my old 1080 GPU (that I can't replace anytime soon for a reasonable price). Really appreciate it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

i6700k 4.4mhz, 32Gb, nVidia 1080, Odyssey+, CH Products, Derek Speare Designs button box, Bass shaker w/SimShaker For Aviators

On 4/19/2021 at 7:49 AM, speed-of-heat said:

the mask size seems to be held in this file

x:\<installation path>\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Bazar\shaders\HMDMask.fx... specifically this part of the code

float4 vsOctagonMask(in float2 pos:POSITION0): SV_POSITION0
{
	return float4(pos, 1, 1);
}

changing the values from 1 to 0.9 will reduce the size of the area masked e.g. 

float4 vsOctagonMask(in float2 pos:POSITION0): SV_POSITION0
{
	return float4(pos, 0.9, 0.9);
}

which seems to be enough to mask the edges out, both numbers have to be the same. 

I have briefly tried variants such as 0.99 which does seem to offer finer control, and still reduce the mask area accordingly, you will need to find the right number for you, as i suspect it has a lot to do with the mask and facial geometry and interface. I suspect there will be a corresponding drop in performance (I havent tested) but that would make sense, I have no sense of scale on how much it would be.

Always make a copy of the original file before you make any changes, and preferably make any changes through a MOD Manager.  

Updated having done some testing , the 0.99 mask has about 0.13ms impact on GPU frame time, with a loss of 1.6 FPS

On 4/20/2021 at 11:33 AM, Gabi_tro said:

I am not having a good experience at all with this updated version :(( 

when I move my head it is very jerky (not even close as smooth as it was before), the edges are shimmering/flickering. It s like the mod is not installed; acttualy even worse..since I didn t have the shimmering issue ever before.

Any ideas? (I m using a hp reverb g2)

Thank u guys

I just resolved a massive stuttering issue on my rig (5900x with 2080Ti and G2):   Make sure you do not run WMR and SteamVR reprojection/motion smoothing together. 

It wasn't a problem in DCS 2.56, and it's not a problem with IL2. But DCS 2.7 is picky about it apparently.

1) enable reprojection/smoothing in SteamVR

2) go to file  steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings  and remove or comment out the line "motionReprojectionMode"

All the stuttering near the ground is gone. Now it's all about maintaining the basic frame-rate with textures, msaa, hw, etc..

• Thanks 1

Since the update, Ive actually been having better performance without the shaders. Thats not a bad thing either, as Im running stuff maxed out for the first time in a long time...except for MSAA. Thats still at 2x.

• Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

4 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Since the update, Ive actually been having better performance without the shaders. Thats not a bad thing either, as Im running stuff maxed out for the first time in a long time...except for MSAA. Thats still at 2x.

+1

I also noticed that since the update I can run with better performance than before using the shaders and I now can even push with MSAA to 4x and it's still better.

13 hours ago, peachmonkey said:

I just resolved a massive stuttering issue on my rig (5900x with 2080Ti and G2):   Make sure you do not run WMR and SteamVR reprojection/motion smoothing together. 

It wasn't a problem in DCS 2.56, and it's not a problem with IL2. But DCS 2.7 is picky about it apparently.

1) enable reprojection/smoothing in SteamVR

2) go to file  steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings\default.vrsettings  and remove or comment out the line "motionReprojectionMode"

All the stuttering near the ground is gone. Now it's all about maintaining the basic frame-rate with textures, msaa, hw, etc..

You don't make any sense. The first line says don't run reprojection and motion smoothing together. The second line says that 2.7 is picky. Then 1) says ENABLE reprojection/motion smoothing. I think you should rethink what you said and clarify it.

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

11 minutes ago, RackMonkey said:

You don't make any sense. The first line says don't run reprojection and motion smoothing together. The second line says that 2.7 is picky. Then 1) says ENABLE reprojection/motion smoothing. I think you should rethink what you said and clarify it.

There are 2 distinct re-projection methods:

1) SteamVR motion smoothing

2) WMR (mixedreailtyVR driver)

if you enable them both you get stutters.

Hence, enable it in SteamVR (make sure it says Enabled).  Then go in to MixedrealityVR driver file default.vrsettings and remove reprojection there. Stutters will go away.

Edited by peachmonkey

12 minutes ago, peachmonkey said:

There are 2 distinct re-projection methods:

1) SteamVR motion smoothing

2) WMR (mixedreailtyVR driver)

if you enable them both you get stutters.

Hence, enable it in SteamVR (make sure it says Enabled).  Then go in to MixedrealityVR driver file default.vrsettings and remove reprojection there. Stutters will go away.

I'll give it a try because I'm tired of trying to fly watching a 1930's movie.

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

This is explicitly stated in @speed-of-heat excellent write up. Take a read, he is currently updating it based on 2.7 but the principles around reprojection do not differ from 2.5.6 and 2.7

image.png

Edited by zildac
  • Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

44 minutes ago, zildac said:

the principles around reprojection do not differ from 2.5.6 and 2.7

that's not true.  With 2.5.6 I had both SteamVR and WMR reprojections turned on and it worked fine, no stutters. However, it's not the same with 2.7.

Also, people erroneously think that enabling reprojection in SteamVR controls the WMR reprojection setting in the default.vrsettings. It doesn't as they are two completely distinct environments.

Edited by peachmonkey

1 hour ago, peachmonkey said:

that's not true.  With 2.5.6 I had both SteamVR and WMR reprojections turned on and it worked fine, no stutters. However, it's not the same with 2.7.

Also, people erroneously think that enabling reprojection in SteamVR controls the WMR reprojection setting in the default.vrsettings. It doesn't as they are two completely distinct environments.

Well it may have "worked" in 2.5.6 but it's probably not a good idea is it? I mean, logic would suggest that you let one component deal with the job. I never had both turned on, and I don't seem to have any stutters. Give the guide a read and draw your own conclusions.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

2 minutes ago, zildac said:

Well it may have "worked" in 2.5.6 but it's probably not a good idea is it? I mean, logic would suggest that you let one component deal with the job. I never had both turned on, and I don't seem to have any stutters. Give the guide a read and draw your own conclusions.

no disagreement at all. However, if you're throwing logic in to this convo then there is absolutely no logic in WMR not exposing this feature in the MS GUI. Or clear explanation/warning in the "WMR for SteamVR" to make sure the user is aware of these conflicts. This logic you speak of goes both ways 😄

5 minutes ago, peachmonkey said:

no disagreement at all. However, if you're throwing logic in to this convo then there is absolutely no logic in WMR not exposing this feature in the MS GUI. Or clear explanation/warning in the "WMR for SteamVR" to make sure the user is aware of these conflicts. This logic you speak of goes both ways 😄

Yup, it's MS.  It makes sense to me without MS explicitly making a statment, but they probably should, you're right . In much the same way as we write "Danger -  Hot" on hot water taps 😉

• Like 2

Ok so WOW! I've been playing with settings lately on the G2 and decided to try this (had Steam SS set to 120), loaded the F-86 and literally CAN NOT believe what happened. It is locked at 60 (I recently moved down from 90-60), and ALL the micro-stutters are completely GONE! I can't believe how smooth it is. Flying low to the ground, objects flow smoothly by without ANY drop in frame rate, it's like night and day difference (ok, did drop a little on a larger city with skyscrapers).

A couple weird things though... 1. If I switch planes it all goes to hell. Down to 20-30 fps, stuttering mess. Even if I go back to the F-86 it stays messed up. If I exit DCS and go back into the F-86 all is well, which leads me to 2. Doesn't seem like I can get the same incredible smoothness with other planes. I've tried the F-16 and P47 so far and they are off the F-86 by a good 10-20 fps. Any ideas? Just using Instant Action on Caucasus to test other planes.

Now that I've experienced it with out any stuttering, I want it for EVERYTHING.

Ryzen 7 3700x, RTX 3070

THANKS!

MOD WORKS PERFECTLY HERE ON 2.7

EVERYTHING IS FLUID AND CRISP IN VR

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR WORK!!!

i9 10900K

RTX 3090

64GB RAM

Reverb G2

No Overclocking

• Like 1

"...dont kill me because i´m calling the F-16 the Fighting Falcon...i´m born in 1977 ;)"

MY SYSTEM: Intel i9 13900KF @ 24x 3,0Ghz | MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 | NVidia Geforce RTX 4090 | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64Gb RAM @5200Mhz | Varjo Aero | 2x Samsung 980Pro M.2 NVMe SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Rudder | Win10 Pro | DCS Open Beta | Voice Attack
MOTION RIG: DOF Reality H6 with new SFU motors + Witmotion Sensor (Motion Compensation)
CURRENTLY FLYING: F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-14A/B Tomcat | AH-64D Apache

Hi @Taz1004,

I have seen this behavior a few times with the latest Shader Mods: 

• It even took 30 and up to 40 minutes on my poor 4 core i5-3570K.. lol.
  • What I do when I know my system has to rebuild the shader cache is open up the fxo folder in saved games and watch the files being slowly added. At the same time I watch DCS YouTube Videos on my other monitor.  

\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\fxo   - As long as new files with current Date modified time stamps are being added I know DCS did not hang. 

Cheers.

Edited by YSIAD_RIP
  • Like 2
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

Hi all, I apologize I am a bit new but I have a question about the updated 2.7 mod. In the patch notes for the mod, it states:

- Removed the ENABLE_HMD_MASK & MASKSIZE settings as a correct mask is included in DCS now " 

Is this why the 'circle' effect is no longer showing on the monitor mirror? I remember in the older versions of the mod the corners of the picture on the mirror would be black because the game wasn't rendering what the headset couldn't see. After installing this mod, I see the full picture on the mirror, including the corners, and I feel I have done something incorrectly. Should the render still be a circle like it always used to or is it OK now that I am seeing 100% of the render on the mirror? I attached a picture of the mirror and circled where the black sections used to be on the older mods. 

Thanks in advance! 

Screenshot 2021-04-29 012307.png

Mine still has the corners in the PC mirror using OQ2, is there anything I can do? Frankly, it is no big deal for now.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.