VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

On 11/7/2021 at 8:12 PM, speed-of-heat said:

I had something very similar to this; just now, switching the shaders off, reloading the mission, exiting the game, reapply the shaders and it seems to work !

Yes! This time it worked. The only difference is that this time I didn't make a repair in between, but just did as you said.

Thank You!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I updated OB today and now I notice a big screendoor effect inside a large circle in the middle of my screen. Please see attached. Can this have anything to do with the update in combination with the VR shaders? Never saw it before.

screenshot.354.jpg

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

18 minutes ago, Ready_ENP said:

So I updated OB today and now I notice a big screendoor effect inside a large circle in the middle of my screen. Please see attached. Can this have anything to do with the update in combination with the VR shaders? Never saw it before.

screenshot.354.jpg

Good news is, you can dial back on the super sampling and gain some more performance.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

45 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Good news is, you can dial back on the super sampling and gain some more performance.

I am at 80%SS. Will see what lowering it further brings me. Will this remove the screendoor you think?

BTW I see you are running W11 with a Ryzen and G2? Did W11 give you any performance degradation? I am considering to upgrade, but so far only read bad news about W11 in VR on AMD's.

Tnx, 

Edited by Ready_ENP

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

37 minutes ago, Ready_ENP said:

I am at 80%SS. Will see what lowering it further brings me. Will this remove the screendoor you think?

BTW I see you are running W11 with a Ryzen and G2? Did W11 give you any performance degradation? I am considering to upgrade, but so far only read bad news about W11 in VR on AMD's.

Tnx, 

Screen door in the  G2 is typically the result of too high (more than necessary) combo in Global and per game SteamVr Super Sampling and/or in game PD slider. OpenFSR can contribute.

On my setup, if I leave SVRSS global to auto and per game at 100%, the combo shows up as 129% in the fpsVR UI. So I leave SteamVr global at manual 100%, then adjust the per game to my visual liking... usually 80%.

No noticeable degradation, certainly not the 15% I'd read about. 

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

22 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Screen door in the  G2 is typically the result of too high (more than necessary) combo in Global and per game SteamVr Super Sampling and/or in game PD slider. OpenFSR can contribute.

On my setup, if I leave SVRSS global to auto and per game at 100%, the combo shows up as 129% in the fpsVR UI. So I leave SteamVr global at manual 100%, then adjust the per game to my visual liking... usually 80%.

No noticeable degradation, certainly not the 15% I'd read about. 

Tnx. Yes, but the strange thing is that the screen door happens only inside the circle. I would assume it would be everywhere if it had something to do with SVRSS settings. Will mess around with it some more tomorrow.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

59 minutes ago, Ready said:

Tnx. Yes, but the strange thing is that the screen door happens only inside the circle. I would assume it would be everywhere if it had something to do with SVRSS settings. Will mess around with it some more tomorrow.

Interesting. Maybe try "applyMIPBias": false,  ?

--Arthur C Clark

On 11/19/2021 at 2:08 AM, Sr. said:

Interesting. Maybe try "applyMIPBias": false,  ?

Tnx I haven't seen it anymore since last repair.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Hi I’m trying to improve my performance a little or keep the same performance and get rid of shimmers. 

I’m running less than the VR default  settings with 2x MSAA on a 3060. Using a quest 2 headset via cable link. Would I be able to get rid of some shimmer ? I’m on latest OB 

On 11/21/2021 at 4:18 PM, scampaboy said:

Hi I’m trying to improve my performance a little or keep the same performance and get rid of shimmers. 

I’m running less than the VR default  settings with 2x MSAA on a 3060. Using a quest 2 headset via cable link. Would I be able to get rid of some shimmer ? I’m on latest OB 

You can also try ReShade SMAA on top of in-game MSAA.  One thing I realized recently is to use Depth sorting method on SMAA which works much better for DCS.  It's as good as 2x MSAA.  There will be performance hit but wont be as bad as 4x MSAA.

Attached is my new setting.  You can disable or lower CAS sharpen.  Sharpen=Shimmer, Less Shimmer=Blurry.  It's always finding balance.

VR sharpen SMAA.zip

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

You can also try ReShade SMAA on top of in-game MSAA.  One thing I realized recently is to use Depth sorting method on SMAA which works much better for DCS.  It's as good as 2x MSAA.  There will be performance hit but wont be as bad as 4x MSAA.

Attached is my new setting.  You can disable or lower CAS sharpen.  Sharpen=Shimmer, Less Shimmer=Blurry.  It's always finding balance.

VR sharpen SMAA.zip 3.84 MB · 8 downloads

Thanks for that, I installed the shader mod earlier this evening and it does seem to run smoother without checking an fps counter. 
Let me test it a little more as I’m trying to decide whether to destroy that new found smoothness with either MSAA in game, AF16 or shadows onto medium. 
If I don’t have any success I’ll give reshade a try and thanks for the settings. Do I understand correctly that reshade takes a little fps ? 

4 minutes ago, scampaboy said:

Thanks for that, I installed the shader mod earlier this evening and it does seem to run smoother without checking an fps counter. 
Let me test it a little more as I’m trying to decide whether to destroy that new found smoothness with either MSAA in game, AF16 or shadows onto medium. 
If I don’t have any success I’ll give reshade a try and thanks for the settings. Do I understand correctly that reshade takes a little fps ? 

ReShade is post process.  It does take fps but usually not as much as in-game filters and effects.  And you can quickly enable/disable with Delete key.

• Thanks 1

You can also try my mod to have sharpen on cockpit only and not on landscape, plus other cool features for VR : https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/207154-3dmigoto-vr-mod-for-dcs-label-masking-color-enhancement-sharpen-fxaa-copypaste-of-radio-msg

• Thanks 1

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

On 11/22/2021 at 11:12 PM, Taz1004 said:

VR sharpen SMAA.zip 3.84 MB · 17 downloads

So does it mean I can turn off msaa ingame? Or is it just an add on to it? 

Thanks! 

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

15 minutes ago, exil said:

So does it mean I can turn off msaa ingame? Or is it just an add on to it? 

Thanks! 

You can also try ReShade SMAA on top of in-game MSAA.  

the first line of the text that you quoted ...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

6 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

the first line of the text that you quoted ...

Yeah, sometimes you don't see the forest for the trees. Sorry for that and thanks for clarification! 

• Like 1

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

So I've been trying the full version and seems like GBuffer.hlsl is the one that's causing the faded out cockpit.

Also Decoder.hlsl basically disables AO.  And this is separate from in-game SSAO option.  I have that off.

Without Decoder.hlsl from the mod

NoDecoder.jpg

With Decoder.hlsl

Decoder.jpg

While it may provide some FPS, I found that Decoder.hlsl in this mod causes everything to look really bad for me.  I was getting light leaking look everywhere.  Like the buttons at the top panel and even the ground to the left Sunlight was leaking through.  And with it introduced a lot of pixel crawling in the cockpit especially in VR.

So if you're gonna use the full version, either disable both Decoder.hlsl and GBuffer.hlsl or consider if the tradeoff is worth it.

SpeedOfHeat's versions and Simplex have both GBuffer.hlsl and Decoder.hlsl disabled I believe.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tomeye said:

@Taz1004every try you do (replacing decoder.hsl) requires recompiling shaders from scratch?

Not just Decoder.hlsl but also GBuffer.hlsl, atmosphere.hlsl, shadows.hlsl, and all files in model folder requires recompiling from scratch only when you reinstall the full mod.  It takes very long for me.  Almost 20 minutes.

I do have a workaround however.  First time I install the full mod, I start the game in every plane and terrain to compile the shaders.  Then save the FXO and metashaders2 folder (I package them as mod) and replace them everytime I have to reinstall the mod.  Then the game doesn't recompile.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/25/2021 at 10:01 PM, Taz1004 said:

I do have a workaround however.  First time I install the full mod, I start the game in every plane and terrain to compile the shaders.  Then save the FXO and metashaders2 folder (I package them as mod) and replace them everytime I have to reinstall the mod.  Then the game doesn't recompile.

Ahhh that is brilliant! Why did I not think of that? Will add it to my OVGME.

Just so I understand; With every OB update I unload all core mods, run the DCS update and then load the mods (the VR shaders mod, followed by the 'FXO/metashaders2 folder'-mod, followed by all other mods?

Thanks!!

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

2 minutes ago, Ready said:

Ahhh that is brilliant! Why did I not think of that? Will add it to my OVGME.

Just so I understand; With every OB update I unload all core mods, run the DCS update and then load the mods (the VR shaders mod, followed by the 'FXO/metashaders2 folder'-mod, followed by all other mods?

Thanks!!

Pretty much.  However, if the OB update breaks the VR shader mod and it needs to be modified just like last OB update, then you may have to rebuild FXO/metashaders2.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/28/2021 at 7:52 PM, Taz1004 said:

Pretty much.  However, if the OB update breaks the VR shader mod and it needs to be modified just like last OB update, then you may have to rebuild FXO/metashaders2.

Speaking of which, can anyone confirm this as of the one just released? Wouldn't mind knowing before i update 🙂

GTX 1080Ti, i7 8700@4.4Ghz, 16Gb DDR4.

14 minutes ago, cloudkake said:

Speaking of which, can anyone confirm this as of the one just released? Wouldn't mind knowing before i update 🙂

I just updated and switched back to Kegetys Simplex shaders. Loading was pretty quick. Did not clear my FX/metashader folders.

• Like 1

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

No problem whatsoever

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.