VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

On 11/21/2021 at 9:22 AM, Ready said:

Tnx I haven't seen it anymore since last repair.

So the 'screendoor'-circle returned. No idea what is causing this. I put in a red line to show were it is. Everything within the cirle looks sharper, but has some kind of screendoor effect. Outside the circle is more fuzzy, but without the screendoor effect. I am running quite a few mods and guess one of them has something to do with it. Maybe anyone has the answer and can save me loads of time testing this?

screenshot.523.jpg

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

59 minutes ago, Ready said:

So the 'screendoor'-circle returned. No idea what is causing this. I put in a red line to show were it is. Everything within the cirle looks sharper, but has some kind of screendoor effect. Outside the circle is more fuzzy, but without the screendoor effect. I am running quite a few mods and guess one of them has something to do with it. Maybe anyone has the answer and can save me loads of time testing this?

screenshot.523.jpg

Screen door is usually result of having either SVR global or per game res set higher than necessary... can also happen using the OpenVR tool. I can make mine do this by setting the "renderScale": line to 80+

In your case it looks like the image upscaling is being applied to the circled are (by design)... I set my circle "radius": to 0.9, mostly so I can't see the differences.

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

41 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Screen door is usually result of having either SVR global or per game res set higher than necessary... can also happen using the OpenVR tool. I can make mine do this by setting the "renderScale": line to 80+

In your case it looks like the image upscaling is being applied to the circled are (by design)... I set my circle "radius": to 0.9, mostly so I can't see the differences.

Tnx, SVR global is set to 100 and game is set to 80. Will have a look at OVR and the render scale.

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

4 hours ago, Ready said:

screenshot.523.jpg

Are you using openvrfsr or vrperfkit?

Both have a foveated render function that renders the centre of the screen at a higher quality and lesser at the outsides. You can adjust the size of the render circle to effectively eliminate the foveated render.

I think on earlier versions of openvrfsr it was a sharpen mask that only sharpened within the circle, at high levels of sharpening it have a very distinct image difference.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

55 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Both have a foveated render function that renders the centre of the screen at a higher quality and lesser at the outsides. You can adjust the size of the render circle to effectively eliminate the foveated render.

I think on earlier versions of openvrfsr it was a sharpen mask that only sharpened within the circle, at high levels of sharpening it have a very distinct image difference.

Yeah I am using OpenVR FSR 2.1.1 NIS, but haven't changed anything to it lately. I have renderscale 0.8, radius 0,5 and sharpness 0. I am running Reshade for sharpness. Will adjust the radius and renderscale to see if this has an effect. Thanks

• Like 1

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

I use speed-of-heat's clearwater version of this on latest open beta without any issues. He has a separate thread for it here: -

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Hi. Starting to see the need for the mod manager for this, and these various mods for VR, etc. What is the better one to use? And will work for MSFS2020 as well... you know, for when I feel like driving a bus...

Intel i5-12600K | RTX4080 Super OC 16GB | 64GB 3600 MHz RAM | M.2 SSDs | Meta Quest 3

5 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

I use Open Mod Manager. The successor to OvGME. 

I switch recently to Open Mod Manager s well. You can't go wrong with Open Mod Manager.. Modmanfx64 looks cool and flexible too

• Like 1
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

its been a while since I last visited, and see things have changed...whats the latest and greatest version?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

Guys, is there are simple mod which always passes IC and just does a little bit of colour / contrast correction in DCS  ?

Im searching for something similar than reshade mod - but way simpler .. as the reshade mod  doesn't seem to work with my Reverb G2  ( it only works on the 2D desktop mirror ) - what's the second best option ? 

As  said, full MP compatiblity is my top priority ..

I found this "VR shaders for IC pass" thing here , but does this mod also resharpen / or adjust contrast ?   

thanks in advance !

Edited by JABO2009

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

21 minutes ago, JABO2009 said:

Guys, is there are simple mod which always passes IC and just does a little bit of colour / contrast correction in DCS  ?

Im searching for something similar than reshade mod - but way simpler .. as the reshade mod  doesn't seem to work with my Reverb G2  ( it only works on the 2D desktop mirror ) - what's the second best option ? 

I found this "VR shaders for IC pass" thing here , but does this mod also resharpen / or adjust contrast ?   

thanks in advance !

Hi Reshade passes IC and works with the G2. I use it at some of the strictest MP servers. Don't know why it does not work at your setup.

Edited by Ready
  • Like 1

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

3 hours ago, JABO2009 said:

thanks in advance !

You are using fholger's version?  Regular ReShade doesn't work in DCS VR.  And you have to extract them inside bin folder.  Not root folder.

I'll attach the version I use with my setting.  Install as any mod.  I also put SMAA in it.  It works just as well as 2x MSAA for me but better performance.  You can disable it if you don't want it.

VR sharpen SMAA.zip

• Like 3

On 1/23/2022 at 6:02 PM, Sr. said:

On 1/23/2022 at 9:14 PM, edmuss said:

Thanks for the help. I changed the radius to 0.9. It made me not notice the circle inside VR anymore and gave me some extra performance, which I used to increase the anisotrophic filtering to 16, and MSAA back up to 4x. Now it looks sweet with good performance. (Hoping the GBU-bug is fixed soon).

Edited by Ready

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

11 hours ago, Ready said:

Thanks for the help. I changed the radius to 0.9. It made me not notice the circle inside VR anymore and gave me some extra performance, which I used to increase the anisotrophic filtering to 16, and MSAA back up to 4x. Now it looks sweet with good performance. (Hoping the GBU-bug is fixed soon).

my understanding was that bigger the radius value equals to less performance gain, but you are saying the opposite. Anyone knows this?

For the noticeable circle I changed

method: fsr

and nothing visible with

radius: 0.5 

3 часа назад, tomeye сказал:

my understanding was that bigger the radius value equals to less performance gain, but you are saying the opposite. Anyone knows this?

For the noticeable circle I changed

method: fsr

and nothing visible with

radius: 0.5 

The logic is the bigger the radius is => bigger area gets FSR => results in worse performance. Though for my system with 3080ti I didn't notice any difference in GPU utilization between 0.6 and 0.9 radius with 0.9 scaling and FSR/NIS. Maybe if you measure you'll see 1 fps here and there, or it's critical for upscaling from say 0.7 resolution, but overall probably it's better just to keep radius big enough to not notice extra shimmering at the edges of FOV.

Honestly I have a better time with 3dmigoto being able to decide what exactly to sharpen and to what extent than I have with sharpening everything with VRperfkit, also shadows tweaks and other fixes are a good bonus there. Keeping VRperfkit on top of 3dmigoto didn't make sense in my case as the GPU utilization needed just to enable another injector didn't bring valuable returns - sharpening in 3dmigoto was good enough for my tasks.

Edited by Fiztex

1 hour ago, Fiztex said:

The logic is the bigger the radius is => bigger area gets FSR => results in worse performance. Though for my system with 3080ti I didn't notice any difference in GPU utilization between 0.6 and 0.9 radius with 0.9 scaling and FSR/NIS. Maybe if you measure you'll see 1 fps here and there, or it's critical for upscaling from say 0.7 resolution, but overall probably it's better just to keep radius big enough to not notice extra shimmering at the edges of FOV.

Honestly I have a better time with 3dmigoto being able to decide what exactly to sharpen and to what extent than I have with sharpening everything with VRperfkit, also shadows tweaks and other fixes are a good bonus there. Keeping VRperfkit on top of 3dmigoto didn't make sense in my case as the GPU utilization needed just to enable another injector didn't bring valuable returns - sharpening in 3dmigoto was good enough for my tasks.

Yeah you are both right. I don't know what gave me this boost. Will go back and take a good look, because I was tinkering with other things as well and probably messed some things up. I will also give 3dmigoto another try. The GBU FPS bug that @lefuneste figured out is brilliant, so really need that as well for the time being. Had some strange 3dmigoto behavior before, but that was with another shader mod. Will use Simplex this time around.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

On 1/31/2022 at 1:41 AM, Taz1004 said:

You are using fholger's version?  Regular ReShade doesn't work in DCS VR.  And you have to extract them inside bin folder.  Not root folder.

I'll attach the version I use with my setting.  Install as any mod.  I also put SMAA in it.  It works just as well as 2x MSAA for me but better performance.  You can disable it if you don't want it.

VR sharpen SMAA.zip 1.69 MB · 56 downloads

Are you still using this zip you posted ?

• 3 weeks later...

I believe I was using the latest version of this and all I get is CTD after about 3-5 minutes. Anyone tell me if this thing is even worth using anymore? Getting more and more fed up by the day with VR and about ready to go back to TIR.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins