VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

yes its still worth it and the latest version has been working just fine with the latest beta 

which is in the link above, from Taz

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Thats the one I used and unfortunately I kept getting crashes. Im going to test later without the mod but this is a 100% fresh install of DCS on a 100% fresh install of windows 11. Guessing Ill report back anything I can.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like all variants of this are now "broken" since todays OB update (simplex, speed of heats and Taz's)

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

7 minutes ago, PollDepth said:

Managed to get it working for me again using a modified version of Taz's . You need to use a fresh copy of default Tonemap.fx which needs to have #include "_HMD.hlsl" added.

However with the old modded HDR_NVG.fx the game will crash whenever you try to use NVG's so if you take a fresh default HDR_NVG.fx and copy over the effects from the old modded version from gold noise to the bottom(replace everything in the default file below this point on the modded file) but slip the #define COMMON_PART section from the new(the default version from this recent update) and add it above technique10 compose. After that everything seems to be working fine so far as I can tell there are probably parts that aren't working though and I really don't know what I'm doing.

NVD_HDR.fx 5.4 kB · 1 download Tonemap.fx 10.78 kB · 0 downloads

huh?

I don't know what you're doing either 🙂

2 hours ago, zildac said:

Looks like all variants of this are now "broken" since todays OB update (simplex, speed of heats and Taz's)

Oddly enough, I'm getting about the performance I was expecting (not bad at all) with no shader mod. Only running VRPK.

Edited by Sr.
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

Oddly enough, I'm getting about the performance I was expecting (not bad at all) with no shader mod. Only running VRPK.

I am getting reduced performance, losing about 4.5 FPS and adding about 1 msec to my GPU framerate. 

Test 95 - Previous OB with VR Shader

Test 96 - New OB without VR Shader

image.png

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

@Taz1004 With the latest update DCS now also crashes when I open the NVG, am using your NVG Clarity mod.

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

This is the Full version of Kegety's mod merged with latest DCS OB 2.7.11.21408.1 (3/17/2022)

DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.7.11.21408.1.zip

Few notes

• As before, this version will have big compiling time when first launched.  FXO and Metashader2 workaround still works.
  • You can basically turn this into Simplex version by deleting files and folders to match that of Simplex.
  • Some shader files had to be removed for compatibility as they are based on pre 2.7 shaders.
  • This is modified for compatibility only.  I have not tested performance.
  • New FLIR and NVG seems to be working.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Taz1004 said:

This is the Full version of Kegety's mod merged with latest DCS OB 2.7.11.21408.1 (3/17/2022)

DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.7.11.21408.1.zip 124.87 kB · 3 downloads

Few notes

• As before, this version will have big compiling time when first launched.  FXO and Metashader2 workaround still works.
  • You can basically turn this into Simplex version by deleting files to match that of Simplex.
  • Some shader files had to be removed for compatibility as they are based on pre 2.7 shaders.

what would we do without you? Thanks brother!

• Like 1

GTX 1080Ti, i7 8700@4.4Ghz, 16Gb DDR4.

6 hours ago, Sr. said:

huh?

I don't know what you're doing either 🙂

Likewise, just miss the Albedo supersampling which seemed to remove some shimmer from cockpit elements.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.7.11.21408.1.zip
Few notes
  • You can basically turn this into Simplex version by deleting files to match that of Simplex.
Many thanks!!

Will be testing this to see how much benefit there is for the openxr mod 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

6 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

I ran the performance test. It seems I am not getting any performance gain with your update of the shader mod.

image.png

• Test 95 - DCS 18996, VR Shader mod 17830 (Taz1004 IC Pass)
  • Test 96 - DCS 21408.1, without VR Shader mod
  • Test 97 - DCS 21408.1, VR Shader mod 17830 (Taz1004 IC Pass)+ adjusted tonemap.fx (from Astronaut)
  • Test 98 - DCS 21408.1, VR Shader mod 21408,1 (Taz1004)

Switching on NVG with the NVG Clarity mod also crashes DCS.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

I had a similar picture with Ready on how the shader mod behaves under 2.7.11.

Performance wise seems same or little worst with the updated shader but the feeling was better with it (headset is Quest2)

image.png

unknown.png

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

56 minutes ago, Ready said:

I ran the performance test. It seems I am not getting any performance gain with your update of the shader mod.

image.png

• Test 97 - DCS 21408.1, VR Shader mod 17830 (Taz1004 IC Pass)+ adjusted tonemap.fx (from Astronaut)

How did you get  VR Shader mod 17830 (Taz1004 IC Pass) to work? I get a manifest.bin error when loading any shaders mod.

6 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

I don't even remember what NVG Clarity mod is or where I posted it.

Yeah I can also not find anymore where I found it. No worries 🙂

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

58 minutes ago, Ready said:

image.png

Also, I just remembered I set Albedo supersampling to 6x in _HMD.hlsl for my personal use.  Default is 4x.  This might or might not affect performance.  I changed it back to 4x and updated my previous post.

2 minutes ago, Thedoc_tv said:

How did you get  VR Shader mod 17830 (Taz1004 IC Pass) to work? I get a manifest.bin error when loading any shaders mod.

Using OVGME I removed the previous version, ran DCS repair, installed the new mod.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

23 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

I don't even remember what NVG Clarity mod is or where I posted it.

@Taz1004 I do remember mentioning this a while back as I used it, but it seems you have forgotten you did it (or perhaps there was some confusion over who did it) 😀 Anyway, if it's of use here is the MOD. As I recall (when it worked a fair few OB's back) it cleaned up the NVG's and was very nice.

Taz-NVG-MOD.rar

24 minutes ago, Ready said:

Using OVGME I removed the previous version, ran DCS repair, installed the new mod.

Hmm, I tried repairing and installing the mod but I still get the error, It also happen with the new 2.7.11 compatible version

Edited by Thedoc_tv

8 minutes ago, zildac said:

@Taz1004 I do remember mentioning this a while back as I used it, but it seems you have forgotten you did it (or perhaps there was some confusion over who did it) 😀 Anyway, if it's of use here is the MOD. As I recall (when it worked a fair few OB's back) it cleaned up the NVG's and was very nice.

Taz-NVG-MOD.rar 4 kB · 0 downloads

For me it was working until the current OB update.

27 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

Also, I just remembered I set Albedo supersampling to 6x in _HMD.hlsl for my personal use.  Default is 4x.  This might or might not affect performance.  I changed it back to 4x and updated my previous post.

Setting Albedo to 4x gives almost the same performance.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

6 minutes ago, Ready said:

For me it was working until the current OB update.

Setting Albedo to 4x gives almost the same performance.

I tried it last a fair while back and I *thought* it was causing some crashes so I disabled it, perhaps it wasn't the culprit.

Re Albedo I find it makes a big difference to the amount of shimmer on cockpit edges, it's incredibly useful.

2 minutes ago, zildac said:

I tried it last a fair while back and I *thought* it was causing some crashes so I disabled it, perhaps it wasn't the culprit.

Re Albedo I find it makes a big difference to the amount of shimmer on cockpit edges, it's incredibly useful.

You have Albedo on 6x to negate the shimmer? Never paid attention to it before. Will put it back to 6x then.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

1 minute ago, Ready said:

You have Albedo on 6x to negate the shimmer? Never paid attention to it before. Will put it back to 6x then.

I actually have it set to 4=8x currently, need to do some testing re the frametime impact. The best example I;ve found is Hornet ready on the ramp and look at the gear indicators , or that general area.