VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

40 minutes ago, zildac said:

@Taz1004 I do remember mentioning this a while back as I used it, but it seems you have forgotten you did it (or perhaps there was some confusion over who did it) 😀 Anyway, if it's of use here is the MOD. As I recall (when it worked a fair few OB's back) it cleaned up the NVG's and was very nice.

Taz-NVG-MOD.rar 4 kB · 1 download

This should work.  Must be applied on top of Kegety's.

Taz1004_ClearNVG.zip

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, zildac said:

I actually have it set to 4=8x currently, need to do some testing re the frametime impact. The best example I;ve found is Hornet ready on the ramp and look at the gear indicators , or that general area.

Tested: 8x gives me about 1FPS less and 0,1msec GPU Framerate more vs 6x. Will leave it to 8x. Thanks for the tip!

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

21 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

Taz1004_ClearNVG.zip 5.45 kB · 3 downloads

Thankyou sir!!

16 minutes ago, Ready said:

Tested: 8x gives me about 1FPS less and 0,1msec GPU Framerate more vs 6x. Will leave it to 8x. Thanks for the tip!

Cool. The difference between having it off completely is very noticeable re the shimmering. As you say, the cost in terms of performance is cheap, so I've always just run 4=8X

Edited by zildac

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

34 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

Taz1004_ClearNVG.zip 5.45 kB · 4 downloads

Works! Great thanks! 

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

11 minutes ago, Quekel said:

What version of shader mod is now compatible with the new update? Kegetys and then apply Taz NVG fix?

I put the link in my sig.

NVG mod is optional.  It wont blur the cockpit as much but not sure if it's realistic or not.  I don't know about the NVG in these jets but the consumer grade NVG I've tried don't get that blurry.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

This is the Full version of Kegety's mod merged with latest DCS OB 2.7.11.21408.1 (3/17/2022)

DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.7.11.21408.1.zip 124.87 kB · 19 downloads

Few notes

• As before, this version will have big compiling time when first launched.  FXO and Metashader2 workaround still works.
  • You can basically turn this into Simplex version by deleting files to match that of Simplex.
  • Some shader files had to be removed for compatibility as they are based on pre 2.7 shaders.
  • This is modified for compatibility only.  I have not tested performance.
  • New FLIR and NVG seems to be working.

Hi Taz,

First of all, fantastic work on the shader mod!

I see that you turn this into Simplex version by deleting the files ,

but which files should I delete? Just the extra folders present in your file (materialfactory,model,Posteffects) or should I change the files inside the deffered folder too?

I want to make it IC compatible.

I'm totally new to this, but happy to learn 😉

10 minutes ago, Archwing said:

Hi Taz,

First of all, fantastic work on the shader mod!

I see that you turn this into Simplex version by deleting the files ,

but which files should I delete? Just the extra folders present in your file (materialfactory,model,Posteffects) or should I change the files inside the deffered folder too?

I want to make it IC compatible.

I'm totally new to this, but happy to learn 😉

Just make entire folder and file structure to match that of Simplex.  And yes it means deleting the extra folders that are not in Simplex.

And just to be clear, this is Kegety's work.  I just modified it to be compatible.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 2

Can confirm that this works with the openxr mod.

I tested initially on vanilla and it doesn't seem to give a huge boost these days, maybe 1-2 fps although it did seem to stabilise the franetimes with less spiking. Is this concurrent with previous usage or have some of the default shaders been updated to similar effect?

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Anyone else have this freeze up on loading?

I waited over a half hour for it to compile, it just never came back. Basically locked up on loading. I've never had to wait that long for compiling before... Anyone else?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

7 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Just make entire folder and file structure to match that of Simplex.  And yes it means deleting the extra folders that are not in Simplex.

And just to be clear, this is Kegety's work.  I just modified it to be compatible.

Anyone manage to pull this off yet?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Yes it really took very long with me. I also did not gain performance afterwards it seems. So will fly without the shaders mod I guess.. 😞

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

In case anyone is interested, SIMPLEX has been updated to be compatible with latest OpenBeta (2.7.11.21408.1): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3317762/

Due to missing bloom parameters, the game would crash after loading to Briefing/Fly - NOW FIXED!

• Like 4

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

3 hours ago, LucShep said:

In case anyone is interested, SIMPLEX has been updated to be compatible with latest OpenBeta (2.7.11.21408.1): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3317762/

Due to missing bloom parameters, the game would crash after loading to Briefing/Fly - NOW FIXED!

Thanks for the notice. Did you test the performance difference with/without SImplex? Will try it myself in a bit.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

3 hours ago, LucShep said:

24 minutes ago, Ready said:

Thanks for the notice. Did you test the performance difference with/without SImplex? Will try it myself in a bit.

Yes, of course. 

This time around the performance improvement seems slightly reduced for some reason.
With RTX3060Ti GPU @ 4K, I got ~6% improvement in GPU usage (with previous DCS version plus previous Simplex it was ~9%).
So, smaller or not, there is improvement over vanilla shaders - for me, still worth using.

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | M-Audio USB + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

4 minutes ago, LucShep said:

Yes, of course. 

This time around the performance improvement seems slightly reduced for some reason.
With RTX3060Ti GPU, I got ~6% improvement in GPU usage (with previous DCS version plus previous Simplex it was ~9%).
So, smaller or not, there is improvement over vanilla shaders - for me, still worth using.

Okay great! Still better than nothing. Can use every GPU percent improvement we can get. 

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Just to add, that performance improvements aside, the Albedo supersampling alone also seems (for me at least) to significantly reduce the shimmering in the cockpit. So there is still benefit to this mod IIMHO

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

53 minutes ago, zildac said:

Just to add, that performance improvements aside, the Albedo supersampling alone also seems (for me at least) to significantly reduce the shimmering in the cockpit. So there is still benefit to this mod IIMHO

Albedo is why i keep using Kegetis shaders, cockpits look way better

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

On 3/18/2022 at 3:13 AM, Taz1004 said:

This is the Full version of Kegety's mod merged with latest DCS OB 2.7.11.21408.1 (3/17/2022)

DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.7.11.21408.1.zip 124.87 kB · 96 downloads

Few notes

• As before, this version will have big compiling time when first launched.  FXO and Metashader2 workaround still works.
  • You can basically turn this into Simplex version by deleting files and folders to match that of Simplex.
  • Some shader files had to be removed for compatibility as they are based on pre 2.7 shaders.
  • This is modified for compatibility only.  I have not tested performance.
  • New FLIR and NVG seems to be working.

Thanks for the update

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

2 hours ago, zildac said:

Fair point. Will also test the Simplex to see how it is doing (with the Albedo). 

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

So I just tested with Simplex (Albedo SS set to 8x).

I noticed the metashaders2 folder not getting populated after installing a shader mod, the fxo folder gets populated. So with my very limited technical knowledge I honestly have no idea what is going on there.

Observations

1. Currently Simplex gives about 2FPS and 0,4msec GPU frametime better performance than the full Ketegys Shaders.
  2. Currently Simplex gives about the same performance as Vanilla (no VR shaders)

Conclusions

1. The new OB update resulted in nett overall loss of about 5 FPS and 1,4msec GPU frametime, because shader mods have no impact anymore (test 95 is latest test with OB-18996).
  2. Simplex is the probably the best shader mod to use at the moment (no significant additional loading times, no significant penalty for Albedo SS, IC Pass)

I hope others can confirm, or even better, find a way to get our much needed GPU performance back. 

screenshot.618.jpg
(red texts are delta vs previous test)

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

58 minutes ago, Ready said:

So I just tested with Simplex (Albedo SS set to 8x).

I noticed the metashaders2 folder not getting populated after installing a shader mod, the fxo folder gets populated. So with my very limited technical knowledge I honestly have no idea what is going on there.

Observations

1. Currently Simplex gives about 2FPS and 0,4msec GPU frametime better performance than the full Ketegys Shaders.
  2. Currently Simplex gives about the same performance as Vanilla (no VR shaders)

Conclusions

1. The new OB update resulted in nett overall loss of about 5 FPS and 1,4msec GPU frametime, because shader mods have no impact anymore (test 95 is latest test with OB-18996).
  2. Simplex is the probably the best shader mod to use at the moment (no significant additional loading times, no significant penalty for Albedo SS, IC Pass)

I hope others can confirm, or even better, find a way to get our much needed GPU performance back. 

screenshot.618.jpg
(red texts are delta vs previous test)

You're probably getting better performance with Simplex than Kegety's because Simplex gets rid of Albedo.  It has the setting in _HMD.hlsl but the function is in \Bazar]shaders\model\functions\diffuse.hlsl file.  And Simplex gets rid of that file.

And I did look at the codes a bit deeper and it appears ED added some luma adjustment to the cockpit.  To compensate for the new FLIR which is the cause for the frame loss between previous and current OB without any shaders... is my guess.  And Simplex removes this luma adjustment.  Below is image quality difference between Kegety's and Simplex.

Albedo in Kegety's below is 4x

shaderComparison.gif

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Taz1004 said:

You're probably getting better performance with Simplex than Kegety's because Simplex gets rid of Albedo.  It has the setting in _HMD.hlsl but the function is in \Bazar]shaders\model\functions\diffuse.hlsl file.  And Simplex gets rid of that file.

And I did look at the codes a bit deeper and it appears ED added some luma adjustment to the cockpit.  To compensate for the new FLIR and is the cause for the frame loss between previous and current OB without any shaders... is my guess.  And Simplex removes this luma adjustment.  Below is image quality difference between Kegety's and Simplex.

shaderComparison.gif

Okay cheers. Will run a test without Albedo to compare performance.

Did you also notice the terrible shaking of the cockpit that was introduced with the latest OB? 

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png