VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

I had an FPS drop with the latest version of DCS using a full version of VR shaders by Taz1004. So, I've left only albedo supersampling, disabled bloom and simplified glass and it works OK, though I didn't have a chance to fully test to compare performance with vanilla to measure the gain.

Edited by Fiztex

On 3/17/2022 at 11:13 PM, Taz1004 said:

This is the Full version of Kegety's mod merged with latest DCS OB 2.7.11.21408.1 (3/17/2022)

DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.7.11.21408.1.zip 124.87 kB · 622 downloads

Few notes

• As before, this version will have big compiling time when first launched.  FXO and Metashader2 workaround still works.
  • You can basically turn this into Simplex version by deleting files and folders to match that of Simplex.
  • Some shader files had to be removed for compatibility as they are based on pre 2.7 shaders.
  • This is modified for compatibility only.  I have not tested performance.
  • New FLIR and NVG seems to be working.

Where can I go to find the latest version of this ?
Also I was told this works with OpenXR ?

• 2 weeks later...

As of today this Mod don't work . I'm getting error at 50% load on any maps . 

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

On 5/3/2022 at 5:46 PM, Taz1004 said:

Included filelist.txt which shows you what each file does.  You may delete ones you don't use for faster loading.  You must not delete _helper.hlsl and _HMD.hlsl however.

Updated for minor change in DCS 2.7.12.

DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.7.12.23362.zip 39.37 kB · 350 downloads

Notes

• This version is for compatibility only.  Purpose of this version is to keep as much of Kegety's original as possible.
  • As before, this version will have big compiling time when first launched.  FXO and Metashader2 workaround still works.
  • You can basically turn this into Simplex version by deleting files and folders to match that of Simplex.
  • Some shader files had to be removed for compatibility as they are based on pre 2.7 shaders.

This version is still working as expected with latest DCS 2.7.15.26783

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

• 2 weeks later...

I need help(if already posted what I'm looking for, please link)

I have AMD R7 5800X, 32 GB 3800 CL14, RTX 2080 SUPER(driver 516.59) and Rift S(latest beta driver). So far I somehow coped with lack of performance with VR shader mod and FHolger OpenVR FSR but ever since update to 2.7.15 open beta everything became unplayable. I can't get sharpness that I used to have and even though (DCS)FPS counter is showing 40 FPS I'm getting glitches and slideshow-like frame rendering. I mostly fly F-14 and F-15 but I've tried all the other mods that I have and on every single one of them I get same issues(some worse some better depending on map). 

I have configured all as before the updates, cleared shaders caches and clean install of updated nvidia drivers(of course I've configured general and game settings to previous good working settings)

F-14, A-10CII, F/A-18, Spitfire, FC3, Supercarrier and all of the maps/terrains 

R7 5800X, 32GB DDR4 3733GHz CL14, RTX3090, Sound blaster Z, Oculus Quest 2 and Reverb G2, WINWING F/A-18 Orion HOTAS...

3 часа назад, Luka CMF сказал:

I need help(if already posted what I'm looking for, please link)

I have AMD R7 5800X, 32 GB 3800 CL14, RTX 2080 SUPER(driver 516.59) and Rift S(latest beta driver). So far I somehow coped with lack of performance with VR shader mod and FHolger OpenVR FSR but ever since update to 2.7.15 open beta everything became unplayable. I can't get sharpness that I used to have and even though (DCS)FPS counter is showing 40 FPS I'm getting glitches and slideshow-like frame rendering. I mostly fly F-14 and F-15 but I've tried all the other mods that I have and on every single one of them I get same issues(some worse some better depending on map). 

I have configured all as before the updates, cleared shaders caches and clean install of updated nvidia drivers(of course I've configured general and game settings to previous good working settings)

Try OpenXR, it helps me with Quest 2, runs better than native Oculus mode for DCS:

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/295123-openxr-guide-for-wmr-headsets/?do=findComment&comment=4998514

14 minutes ago, Fiztex said:

Try OpenXR, it helps me with Quest 2, runs better than native Oculus mode for DCS:

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/295123-openxr-guide-for-wmr-headsets/?do=findComment&comment=4998514

Tried, it doesn't work better, it's exactly the same or the difference is unnoticeable.

Oculus is natively using OpenXR and Oculus debug tool/debug cli and  Oculus tray tool manipulate settings in the same way as using OpenXR. Oculus is not a WMR device thus OpenXR is not necessary.

p.s. I'm running standalone version of DCS 

R7 5800X, 32GB DDR4 3733GHz CL14, RTX3090, Sound blaster Z, Oculus Quest 2 and Reverb G2, WINWING F/A-18 Orion HOTAS...

9 минут назад, Luka CMF сказал:

Tried, it doesn't work better, it's exactly the same or the difference is unnoticeable.

Oculus is natively using OpenXR and Oculus debug tool/debug cli and  Oculus tray tool manipulate settings in the same way as using OpenXR. Oculus is not a WMR device thus OpenXR is not necessary.

p.s. I'm running standalone version of DCS 

Yeah I know that it is not necessary, been using VR since DK2 🙂 But it still has a measurable improvement both in visuals and performance while using OC+OXRTK compared to Oculus native mode in DCS. At least in my case the difference is so obvious, that I don't really need to look for it. 

But if doesn't improve things for you, then I'm sorry it doesn't. I'd suggest doing a full DCS repair with cleaning up unnecessary files with DCS_updater.exe. If this doesn't help then it is unlikely that DCS is at fault here. 

13 minutes ago, Fiztex said:

Yeah I know that it is not necessary, been using VR since DK2 🙂 But it still has a measurable improvement both in visuals and performance while using OC+OXRTK compared to Oculus native mode in DCS. At least in my case the difference is so obvious, that I don't really need to look for it. 

But if doesn't improve things for you, then I'm sorry it doesn't. I'd suggest doing a full DCS repair with cleaning up unnecessary files with DCS_updater.exe. If this doesn't help then it is unlikely that DCS is at fault here. 

Unfortunately OpenXR doesn't produce any noticeable difference in my case. I've already done repair/clean of DCS and no help. Could it be that DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.7.12.23362 just doesn't work well with 2.7.15 ?

9 минут назад, Luka CMF сказал:

Unfortunately OpenXR doesn't produce any noticeable difference in my case. I've already done repair/clean of DCS and no help. Could it be that DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.7.12.23362 just doesn't work well with 2.7.15 ?

I'm using it and it works fine for me. Unfortunately, It doesn't give that much of a performance improvement anymore, but it still gives albedo SS and kills a stupid bloom in VR, plus dials the haze down a bit (welcome addition on Quest 2). When new version of DCS comes I'm always doing a full repair with cleanup and delete the shaders cache, never had a problem like yours. The thing is you are saying that your problems are not shown on any metrics (fps, GPU/CPU times, right?), so it is hardly a DCS issue, I think. Try to maybe do a clean reinstall of everything Oculus-related.

Also, maybe check different vsync options, personally for me the game runs best with "fast" vsync activated in NVIDIA control panel. I'm running Quest 2 at 72 Hz without repro though, so for ASW-active setup fast vsync might not be good.

Edited by Fiztex

14 minutes ago, Fiztex said:

I'm using it and it works fine for me. Unfortunately, It doesn't give that much of a performance improvement anymore, but it still gives albedo SS and kills a stupid bloom in VR, plus dials the haze down a bit (welcome addition on Quest 2). When new version of DCS comes I'm always doing a full repair with cleanup and delete the shaders cache, never had a problem like yours. The thing is you are saying that your problems are not shown on any metrics (fps, GPU/CPU times, right?), so it is hardly a DCS issue, I think. Try to maybe do a clean reinstall of everything Oculus-related.

Also, maybe check different vsync options, personally for me the game runs best with "fast" vsync activated in NVIDIA control panel. I'm running Quest 2 at 72 Hz without repro though, so for ASW-active setup fast vsync might not be good.

Anyway to delete the shader stuff and just get the albedo ss, bloom, and haze, as I don’t see any difference in shaders curently?

8600K|64 GB 3200|4090|m.2

http://www.blacksharkden.com/

Come join us!

Anyway to delete the shader stuff and just get the albedo ss, bloom, and haze, as I don’t see any difference in shaders curently?
See Tazs post further up re what files do what. Filelist.txt in his archuve documents this.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

After every update I clear ALL shader cache, in save games folders and in terrains folders as per instructions, do the clean and repair and finally install FSR and vr shaders mod. I alternate between 1.2 and 1.3 pixel density/super sampling in oculus debug/cli.

6 hours ago, Luka CMF said:

After every update I clear ALL shader cache, in save games folders and in terrains folders as per instructions, do the clean and repair and finally install FSR and vr shaders mod. I alternate between 1.2 and 1.3 pixel density/super sampling in oculus debug/cli.

have you checked without  FHolger OpenVR FSR (doesn't this one need SteamVR in order to run) ?

I'm using Kegetys (TAZ) shaders as I mentioned earlier with Quest2 without issues. When I want to use FSR I use VRperfkit.

OpenXR via OpenComposite (+OpenXR toolkit) also works fine with Q2

But if I'm not mistaken Rift S is different to Quest2, so maybe our Quest2 based suggestions are not valid for you.

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

2 hours ago, diamond26 said:

have you checked without  FHolger OpenVR FSR (doesn't this one need SteamVR in order to run) ?

I'm using Kegetys (TAZ) shaders as I mentioned earlier with Quest2 without issues. When I want to use FSR I use VRperfkit.

OpenXR via OpenComposite (+OpenXR toolkit) also works fine with Q2

But if I'm not mistaken Rift S is different to Quest2, so maybe our Quest2 based suggestions are not valid for you.

I'm running standalone version NOT the steam so no steam VR which is robbing me of frames even when I run project cars or assetto corsa, in those two I don't care about frame or two but I sure do in DCS. So far OpenVR FSR and DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.7.12.23362 worked for me perfectly until the latest update or one before(not entirely sure which one broke it)

I do not use steamVR and OpenVR FSR doesn't need steamVR. I tend to use cleanest possible configurations of anything that I run in VR. AND no Open XR doesn't do anything better for me than Oculus tray tool or oculus debug/cli, I did not have any measurable improvement. Most noticable improvement with open xr is only if you're running steamVR or windows mixed reality headset.

2 hours ago, Luka CMF said:

I'm running standalone version NOT the steam so no steam VR which is robbing me of frames even when I run project cars or assetto corsa, in those two I don't care about frame or two but I sure do in DCS. So far OpenVR FSR and DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.7.12.23362 worked for me perfectly until the latest update or one before(not entirely sure which one broke it)

I do not use steamVR and OpenVR FSR doesn't need steamVR. I tend to use cleanest possible configurations of anything that I run in VR. AND no Open XR doesn't do anything better for me than Oculus tray tool or oculus debug/cli, I did not have any measurable improvement. Most noticable improvement with open xr is only if you're running steamVR or windows mixed reality headset.

You obviously missed my point whcih was if you tried to isolate the problem by taking out of the equation one of the two mods  FHolger OpenVR FSR and VR Shaders and see if you have any impact.

I asked about SteamVR because I didn't know if FHolger OpenVR FSR required it.

OpenXR is not benefiting all Quest2 users but for sure it's not causing any issue and can do a lot more than ODT/OTT options.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diamond26 said:

You obviously missed my point whcih was if you tried to isolate the problem by taking out of the equation one of the two mods  FHolger OpenVR FSR and VR Shaders and see if you have any impact.

I asked about SteamVR because I didn't know if FHolger OpenVR FSR required it.

OpenXR is not benefiting all Quest2 users but for sure it's not causing any issue and can do a lot more than ODT/OTT options.

I'm IT professional for over 25 years and if anything I know how to isolate the problem but I have missed something that no one ever mentioned when clearing shader caches. After work today I managed to re-do all the troubleshooting and tried something else before deleting it all and reinstalling - I have deleted additional single file per terrain that I have - A:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Falklands\misc\shadercache. Everywhere where I looked(read) it is stated to remove this A:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Falklands\misc\metacache\base , A:\save games\DCS.openbeta\fxo and A:\save games\DCS.openbeta\metashaders2.

I sorted all issues by deleting all possible shade caches listed above, installing DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.7.12.23362 and vrperfkit_v0.3. Settings in ODT PD 1.3 ASW on 40Hz fixed + nvidia settings to maximize and stabilize the performance. Turning on and off scaling in nvidia driver made no difference 

p.s. A drive is my fastest M.2 SSD with 6GB/s read/write

1 hour ago, Luka CMF said:

I'm IT professional for over 25 years and if anything I know how to isolate the problem but I have missed something that no one ever mentioned when clearing shader caches. After work today I managed to re-do all the troubleshooting and tried something else before deleting it all and reinstalling - I have deleted additional single file per terrain that I have - A:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Falklands\misc\shadercache. Everywhere where I looked(read) it is stated to remove this A:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Falklands\misc\metacache\base , A:\save games\DCS.openbeta\fxo and A:\save games\DCS.openbeta\metashaders2.

I sorted all issues by deleting all possible shade caches listed above, installing DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.7.12.23362 and vrperfkit_v0.3. Settings in ODT PD 1.3 ASW on 40Hz fixed + nvidia settings to maximize and stabilize the performance. Turning on and off scaling in nvidia driver made no difference 

p.s. A drive is my fastest M.2 SSD with 6GB/s read/write

Good you found a solution but obviously this is a specific case cause I also have South Atlantic map and i had no issues after the latest update. 
But it's a good find for the future. I have seen others mentioned terrains shadercache.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, diamond26 said:

Good you found a solution but obviously this is a specific case cause I also have South Atlantic map and i had no issues after the latest update. 
But it's a good find for the future. I have seen others mentioned terrains shadercache.  

If you've seen others mentioning shadercache(A:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Falklands\misc\shadercache) I obviously missed it because I have only seen metacache (A:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Falklands\misc\metacache\base). Even scripts out there for clearing cache dont remove shadercache in terrains.

i.e. 

#Remove metacache from each installed terrain
  Get-ChildItem "$Env:ProgramFiles\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World*\Mods\terrains\*\misc\metacache\dcs\*" | Remove-Item -Force

#Pull user's Saved Games Folder from where it is set
  $savedGamesFolder = (Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" -Name "{4C5C32FF-BB9D-43B0-B5B4-2D72E54EAAA4}")."{4C5C32FF-BB9D-43B0-B5B4-2D72E54EAAA4}"

#Remove FXO/Metashaders2
  Get-ChildItem $savedGamesFolder\DCS*\fxo\* | Remove-Item -Force
  Get-ChildItem $savedGamesFolder\DCS*\metashaders2\* | Remove-Item -Force
1 hour ago, Steel Jaw said:

Sit Rep please.

Sorry I don't understand waht do you mean

7 часов назад, Luka CMF сказал:

If you've seen others mentioning shadercache(A:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Falklands\misc\shadercache) I obviously missed it because I have only seen metacache (A:\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains\Falklands\misc\metacache\base). Even scripts out there for clearing cache dont remove shadercache in terrains.

i.e. 

#Remove metacache from each installed terrain
  Get-ChildItem "$Env:ProgramFiles\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World*\Mods\terrains\*\misc\metacache\dcs\*" | Remove-Item -Force

#Pull user's Saved Games Folder from where it is set
  $savedGamesFolder = (Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders" -Name "{4C5C32FF-BB9D-43B0-B5B4-2D72E54EAAA4}")."{4C5C32FF-BB9D-43B0-B5B4-2D72E54EAAA4}"

#Remove FXO/Metashaders2
  Get-ChildItem $savedGamesFolder\DCS*\fxo\* | Remove-Item -Force
  Get-ChildItem $savedGamesFolder\DCS*\metashaders2\* | Remove-Item -Force

Sorry I don't understand waht do you mean

Are you saying that running a full repair + cleanup through DCS_updater.exe doesn't remove corrupt terrain shader cache? For me it means that DCS_Updater.exe doesn't work properly and this should be probably reported to ED.

Edited by Fiztex

2 hours ago, Fiztex said:

Are you saying that running a full repair + cleanup through DCS_updater.exe doesn't remove corrupt terrain shader cache? For me it means that DCS_Updater.exe doesn't work properly and this should be probably reported to ED.

Obviously it doesn't remove all shader caches

3 часа назад, Tusk.V сказал:

I had to do a reinstall. How do I know if I still have the shaders installed?

If you see bloom then you likely don't have them. Unless you tweaked anything, of course.

Run any night mission and see the cockpit lights and VR cursor. If they glow like crazy - welcome to vanilla VR in DCS 😉

But, If you actually reinstalled, then I'd say chances are that you don't have the shaders installed properly.