VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

41 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

Updated for DCS 2.7.18.30348

Included filelist.txt which shows you what each file does.  You may delete ones you don't use for faster loading.  You must not delete _helper.hlsl and _HMD.hlsl however.

DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.7.18.30348.zip 39.96 kB · 1 download

Notes

• This version is for compatibility only.  Purpose of this version is to keep as much of Kegety's original as possible.
  • As before, this version will have big compiling time when first launched.  FXO and Metashader2 workaround still works.
  • Some shader files had to be removed for compatibility as they are based on pre 2.7 shaders.

Legend! 👍

On 9/24/2022 at 4:49 AM, Taz1004 said:

Updated for DCS 2.7.18.30348

Included filelist.txt which shows you what each file does.  You may delete ones you don't use for faster loading.  You must not delete _helper.hlsl and _HMD.hlsl however.

DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.7.18.30348.zip 39.96 kB · 74 downloads

Notes

• This version is for compatibility only.  Purpose of this version is to keep as much of Kegety's original as possible.
  • As before, this version will have big compiling time when first launched.  FXO and Metashader2 workaround still works.
  • Some shader files had to be removed for compatibility as they are based on pre 2.7 shaders.

Awesome, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

also wondering if people are using this mod with most recent version.

AMD 7900x3D | Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero | 64GB DC DDR5 6400 Ram | MSI Suprim RTX 4090 Liquid X | 2 x Kingston Fury 4TB Gen4 NVME | Corsair HX1500i PSU | NZXT H7 Flow | Liquid Cooled CPU & GPU | HP Reverb G2 | LG 48" 4K OLED | Winwing HOTAS

Wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

Installed via OvGME like all other mods.

I disabled all other mods and enabled this.

I don't notice any difference in fps on my baseline test map (Marianas with UH-1) in VR. Was hoping to squeeze some more frames.

AMD 7900x3D | Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero | 64GB DC DDR5 6400 Ram | MSI Suprim RTX 4090 Liquid X | 2 x Kingston Fury 4TB Gen4 NVME | Corsair HX1500i PSU | NZXT H7 Flow | Liquid Cooled CPU & GPU | HP Reverb G2 | LG 48" 4K OLED | Winwing HOTAS

1 hour ago, trevoC said:

Wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

Installed via OvGME like all other mods.

I disabled all other mods and enabled this.

I don't notice any difference in fps on my baseline test map (Marianas with UH-1) in VR. Was hoping to squeeze some more frames.

Did it take about 15 minutes to launch?

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

It took a while, although in fairness I tried 3 different shader mods, some took longer than others. One of them took forever to load. Can't remember if this one took a long time or not. If it didn't, should I delete the shaders folder and try again? Any other folders I have to worry about? Thanks for the response.

You need to empty your "fx" and "metashaders" folders under DCS saved games and then enable this pack in ovgme. It will redoo shader all files on game lunch and mission load.

Edited by Bazz_Mulder

Kowalsky

- "Fox 3" means that you have commitment issues

• 2 weeks later...

I made it compatible but I think it's about time we put this mod to rest.  ED implemented their own Alpha 2 Coverage and changed pixel shader so some things in this mod doesn't work anymore including Albedo.  I am only using haze reduction which actually isn't part of Kegety's original.

DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.8.0.32066.zip

• Thanks 2

1 час назад, Taz1004 сказал:

I made it compatible but I think it's about time we put this mod to rest.  ED implemented their own Alpha 2 Coverage and changed pixel shader so some things in this mod doesn't work anymore including Albedo.  I am only using haze reduction which actually isn't part of Kegety's original.

DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.8.0.32066.zip 36.21 \u041a\u0431 · 1 скачивание

I think the same. Maybe even go further and put whole DCS to rest for now. Personally I got really tired with ED updates dropping the performance that I rolled back to 2.5.6 and whole DCS for me now is a quick BFM or BVR, but at least it works GREAT (only AI is dumb because of course it needs all the new graphics improvements). I guess I'll be updating after multithreading release. DCS 4.0, I guess? If I'm not mistaken, this ED updating "policy" was the whole reason Kegetys dropped the support of this mod himself. 

People spend $2k to buy a 4090, fly happily for a week and then come back to 3090ti performance after an update. "Hi guys, ED here, we've just wasted a $1000 for you. But see our noisy clouds are moving now? Enjoy your weekend!".

As result we are rolling back or not updating, and since public MP won't work we may as well consider going back to 2.5.6 with some modules (e.g. it's still fun with FC3 or a Shark) for even bigger performance jump and full Kegetys shaders support giving us up to a double performance improvement vs 2.8 in some cases. 

Why can't they just keep new graphical things optional at least for SP is beyond me, it should be a must every time they consider a performance dropping update since there are obvious performance issues with the game overall.. 

Edited by Fiztex
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.8.0.32066.zip 36.21 kB · 5 downloads

Thanks @Taz1004 it's appreciated. If albedo doesn't work any more then we still have the ability for simple canopy, I guess. But I agree, perhaps it's time to put it out to pasture.

• Like 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

40 минут назад, NolanDaneworth сказал:

@Fiztex Does 2.5.6 even have multiplayer servers ? Because i see no point in single-player, i want to fly with my homies.

And if new 2.8 just dropped VR performance even further, well, guess it's time to switch to IR track, even if its not the same feeling like VR.

Public of course not. But no one forbids you to run a dedicated server yourself or rent one with your friends. Actually, most of the time I play heavy SP stuff (e.g. Liberation) I do that running a dedicated server on my laptop (pretty basic one) and it's miles better in VR performance than flying pure SP. It's actually miles better than most of the public servers too.

Even more, if you got enough RAM you can even run a dedicated server simultaneously with the game on one PC for not very heavy stuff and it will be surprisingly better than flying pure SP. That's how bad DCS engine really is.

Edited by Fiztex
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.8.0.32066.zip 36.21 kB · 16 downloads

Which segment is only the haze reduction? it's the primary reason I mod shaders anyway and maybe I just need to do that part on my own.

New Setup : 13900K, Asus ROG Strix 4090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, DT 1990 Pro Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Setup: 12900KS @ 5.5 , EVGA FTW3 Hybrid 3090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, Philips X2HR Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Old Setup: 9900KS @ 5.2, EVGA FTW3 3090. 32GB of DDR3866, 3x 1TB ADATA NVME

16 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

atmosphere.hlsl

What are the other mods in the file doing? I'm just confused and not sure if I should continue using the mod or not per your suggestion but there are still other files present, do they still help performance?

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

3 hours ago, MARLAN_ said:

What are the other mods in the file doing? I'm just confused and not sure if I should continue using the mod or not per your suggestion but there are still other files present, do they still help performance?

Read the filelist.txt

17 minutes ago, MackaMacka said:

Im getting this error with the new ver of the mod. Cleared shaders before installing. Any ideas?

P.S. First VAICOM now this is getting abandoned. Cool stuff. Great update ED. 

image.jpeg

diffuse.hlsl isn't in the mod anymore.  Looks like you're using wrong version.

45 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

diffuse.hlsl isn't in the mod anymore.  Looks like you're using wrong version.

Thanks for your reply!

In ovgme i got the newest one selcted so im not sure whats going on then...ill try to do a repair and reapply the mod maybe...

EDIT: Yep, that was it, working fine now, thanks!

Edited by MackaMacka
update

The lack of Albedo SS is very noticeable (using the 2.8 compatible VR shaders in the cockpit under bright lighting conditions=extra shimmer) @Taz1004 is there anyway to reinstate it or achieve the same effect in 2.8 or are we doomed to get it working at this point?

11 hours ago, zildac said:

The lack of Albedo SS is very noticeable (using the 2.8 compatible VR shaders in the cockpit under bright lighting conditions=extra shimmer) @Taz1004 is there anyway to reinstate it or achieve the same effect in 2.8 or are we doomed to get it working at this point?

Are you having the issue with a particular module or any plane in DCS?

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11