VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

Is this mod still relevant/beneficial to VR?

I get a DX11Renderer Error when starting up DCS after applying this mod.

Edited by Steel Jaw

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

2 часа назад, Steel Jaw сказал:

Is this mod still relevant/beneficial to VR?

I get a DX11Renderer Error when starting up DCS after applying this mod.

It's both, most likely you need to repair the game and/or clean fxo and metashaders folders. Personally I use Taz1004 version of the shaders and 3dmigoto 11.4, works pretty good for me flying fighters, getting 72 fps for Quest 2 most of the time. There are some issues with CBUs though, it looks like it's fixed in 3dmigoto v12.

Edited by Fiztex

9 минут назад, Steel Jaw сказал:

Link please brother.

It's a couple pages up this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=247708&key=607b543537fc0be5580fbde6eb5090c5

Apparently 3dmigoto 11.4 is not available for download any more, only v12 is:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/filter/user-is-lefuneste01/apply/

For v12 you should go with Speed-of-heat shaders (here on forum) or Simplex (in DCS user files), you can find them pretty easy here. I'm on the phone, so try to searching yourself please. 😉

• Like 1

Sorry to jump on this thread and ask some obvious questions for many of you.

I exclusively play VR on a Quest 2, with the latest stable version.   2.7.9 if I recall correctly.
I would of course benefit from a few more FPS, but my main issue is the terrain, which is way too bright while my cockpit is too dark.
Changing the gamma slider doesn't resolve the issue since I must choose between terrain and cockpit readability.

Could a shader mod prove beneficial for my issue ? Can you pinpoint me to the correct package to DL ?

Thank you all for your help

Edited by pixie

28 minutes ago, pixie said:

I exclusively play VR on a Quest 2, with the latest stable version.   2.7.9 if I recall correctly.
I would of course benefit from a few more FPS, but my main issue is the terrain, which is way too bright while my cockpit is too dark.
Changing the gamma slider doesn't resolve the issue since I must choose between terrain and cockpit readability.

Could a shader mod prove beneficial for my issue ? Can you pinpoint me to the correct package to DL ?

I'm not sure what problems you're having but the terrain and cockpit should be balanced by default.

This mod doesn't darken terrain.  However, you can edit a lua file to achieve that if you're sure nothing's broken and you still want to change it.

/Mods/terrains/Caucasus/shadingOptions/Caucasus.lua

gamma setting on Line 7.  Lowering it would only darken terrain surface.

You would have to do this to each terrain.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pixie said:

You can also have a look here : https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/207154-3dmigoto-vr-mod-for-dcs-label-masking-color-enhancement-sharpen-fxaa-copypaste-of-radio-msg

• Like 1

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

14 часов назад, pixie сказал:

thank you very much for your help Taz, 

I can assure you the terrain is overblown while the cockpit is fine, I have no idea why, but I have had this issue for a while.

This setting should be perfect

I had this issue once due to leftovers from 3dmigoto and files in fxo and metashaders folders. Cleanup and repair of the game as well as cleaning up fxo and metashaders folders solved it for me.

Hello,

I did some testing for the new version of my mod and the last beta... My measurement shown less fps with the shader mod than without...quick mission / A10CII / takeoff.

I used Spead-Of-Heat version of Kegetys mod.

Can you confirm ?

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

17 minutes ago, lefuneste01 said:

Hello,

I did some testing for the new version of my mod and the last beta... My measurement shown less fps with the shader mod than without...quick mission / A10CII / takeoff.

I used Spead-Of-Heat version of Kegetys mod.

Can you confirm ?

Hi I am currently using Taz's shaders version, but I am happy to test. Please provide links to the mods you used in both test versions and the mod settings you had?

Tnx

Edited by Ready

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

8 minutes ago, Ready said:

Hi I am currently using Taz's shaders version, but I am happy to test. Please provide links to the mods you used in both test versions and the mod settings you had?

Tnx

Just test the same mission with or wihtout the shader mod. I used Quick mission/ A10CII / takeoff (caucasus) in VR as a bench, because fps are low so it shown if the mod is worth. From my point of view, game should be tuned for lowest fps (of course without saturation linked to too many units).

I used fraps, it work also in VR, and use 30s delay (as soon as OK button is pressed in game) to get min/med/max fps numbers.

I did a full repair, get measurement, install the shader mod and did again the measurements.

Edited by lefuneste01

4 minutes ago, lefuneste01 said:

Just test the same mission with or wihtout the shader mod. I used Quick mission/ A10CII / takeoff (caucasus) in VR as a bench, because fps are low so it shown if the mod is worth.

From my point of view, game should be tuned for lowest fps (of course without saturation linked to too many units).

I used fraps, it work also in VR, and use 30s delay (as soon as OK button is pressed in game) to get min/med/max fps numbers.

I did a full repair, get measurement, install the shader mod and did again the measurements.

Sorry I don't completely understand;

- You mean to try with and without the shader mod I am currently using (2.7.9.17830 Taz's version)?

- With and without your Migoto mod? (which version, please supply link and settings?)

- You do a full repair before each MOD installation and test? (including clearing the shader folders?)

- You say 'game should be tuned for lowest fps', but I always tune for highest FPS?

- I am using fpsVR to record FPS and CPU and GPU Framerate data, while running a benchmark trackfile and calculate averages. This should also give a similar outcome I guess.

Thanks,

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

9 hours ago, Ready said:

Sorry I don't completely understand;

- You mean to try with and without the shader mod I am currently using (2.7.9.17830 Taz's version)? =>yes

- With and without your Migoto mod? (which version, please supply link and settings?) => do not take care about my mod, it may only add questions. If you are using it, just rename d3d11.dll into d3d11.dll.old for the testing, it will disable it without having to uninstall it

- You do a full repair before each MOD installation and test? (including clearing the shader folders?) => just before testing the version without shader mod (vanilla game)

- You say 'game should be tuned for lowest fps', but I always tune for highest FPS? => for me the idea is to have the best fps in worst game condition, so things should be tuned for that. I do not cate to have 90 fps in 80% of time if I have 20 fps in 20% of time. I prefer to ne able to have at least 60 or 30 fps in all condition, because game experience will be ALWAYS fluid.

- I am using fpsVR to record FPS and CPU and GPU Framerate data, while running a benchmark trackfile and calculate averages. This should also give a similar outcome I guess. => do it as you know it, the only thing is you should have same time period for your record (if you compare a 1s record with a 3 mins record for the same track ypu will not have same results).

Thanks,

Hello, I put my answers above.

16 hours ago, lefuneste01 said:

Hello, I put my answers above.

Hi, first I removed my VR shaders, cleared the FXO and Metashaders2 directories, followed by a repair.

Then I ran one track file performance test. Track file is about 2 minutes long.

Then I installed the VR shaders mod and ran the same track file again, with headset at the same position (stationary on desk)

Average FPS Average GPU Framerate
1. Vanilla 55.8 16.21
2. With shaders 59.8 14.95

My observation is that the VR shaders still work for me. They get me about 7% FPS improvement and about 8% GPU Framerate improvement. 

Edited by Ready
  • Like 1

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

8 hours ago, Ready said:

Hi, first I removed my VR shaders, cleared the FXO and Metashaders2 directories, followed by a repair.

Then I ran one track file performance test. Track file is about 2 minutes long.

Then I installed the VR shaders mod and ran the same track file again, with headset at the same position (stationary on desk)

Average FPS Average GPU Framerate
1. Vanilla 55.8 16.21
2. With shaders 59.8 14.95

My observation is that the VR shaders still work for me. They get me about 7% FPS improvement and about 8% GPU Framerate improvement. 

Thanks. So I do not understand why I did not see the same effect (previously it was the case). Maybe it's the patch I made for compatibiliy with my mod ? I'll check.

On 12/28/2021 at 6:33 AM, speed-of-heat said:

Well since you asked:

Frametime in ms  Delta From Baseline  
Ver Test Baseline FPS GPU CPU GPU CPU  Changes
2.7.9.17830 124   61.33 14.72 6.90     Baseline Standard Settings no MODS, 100%SVR
2.7.9.17830 128 Test 124 75.71 11.74 6.83 2.98 0.08 FSR set to NIS 0.8 Render Scale, Sharpness 0, Radius 0.5
2.7.9.17830 129 Test 124 79.32 11.21 6.71 3.51 0.20 FSR set to NIS 0.8 Render Scale, Sharpness 0, Radius 0.5 + 90 CRM in Steam VR
2.7.9.17830 130 Test 124 80.30 10.97 6.87 3.75 0.03 FSR set to NIS 0.8 Render Scale, Sharpness 0, Radius 0.5 + 100 CRM in Steam VR + Simplex 2.2
2.7.9.17830 131 Test 124 80.55 10.60 6.98 4.12 -0.08 FSR set to NIS 0.8 Render Scale, Sharpness 0, Radius 0.5 + 100 CRM in Steam VR + Taz1004's variant of Kegetys Shaders

There is very little overall difference in performance between, running at 90% and implementing any of the currently  available shader mods, Taz's has just over 0.6ms improvement,  that has to be offset against the one time "cost" of compiling the shaders, which is not present in Simplex (for similar performance) , but overall I doubt you would see the difference in terms of raw performance especially if you are locking at 45hz, between either of the options (Simplex or Taz/Kegety) but Taz/Simplex is faster than 90% by about 0.5-ms and about 5fps more than running at 90%.

As to which is better visually thats a matter for the observer, and I'm not sticking my sensitive parts in that bed of razors, as its hard to get really objective data about that sort of subjective information.

Personally, I'm leaving towards Simplex, as it doesnt have the "up front" cost and delivers very similar perf.  HTH

On 12/28/2021 at 7:16 AM, Taz1004 said:

Thanks for that test.  Always wondered the performance difference but don't have the benchmarking tools.

Obvious difference between Simplex and Kegety's is IC.  So if IC is important, then there's really no choice.

Another reason for using original Kegety's over Simplex is for its features.  I first modified the haze and realized it required recompile anyway.  And to me, Haze is worth the up front cost.  So I decided to use the original.

Haze.gif

And there are other features Simplex removes like Albedo texture sharpening, NVG scope adjustment, etc.  Below is difference between Simplex and Kegety's only.  No other mods.

Mip.gif

I'm not biased over one or the other.  Both are great options.  Just providing information for people to make right choice.

Taz1004 is technically correct.

The idea with SIMPLEX is exactly what the name suggests.... 🙂 simple and uncomplicated.
It tries to be as close to "stock" as possible in all aspects, while delivering most of the noticeable performance benefits of Kegetys' shaders.
With no slow loading of missionsNo noticeable impact in image quality compared to stock. And no I.C. issues for Multiplayer.

Of course, that also means some of the modified niceties/features are left out, such as clear water, or Albedo texture sharpening, or NVG scope adjustment, etc, because all of those cause the extremely annoying slow loading upon any new mission, and can easily break I.C. for Multiplayer, unfortunately.
Albeit a bit compromised, SIMPLEX works as intended and is good for everybody, with 2D or VR, in SP or MP. And that's it.

Although there are (small) performance gains with latest 2.7 versions with these shader mods, unfortunately the very high GPU usage and VRAM consumption with decent quality settings is still impossible to fix with any of these mods (and I'm not even using VR) - that one is on ED developers hands.
So, until I can afford one of the latest high end GPUs (which now, more than ever, seem really necessary, but at outrageous prices), I'm not going to further update SIMPLEX shaders for latest versions. I'm done with 2.7 and its performance B.S.

FWIW, I got back to DCS 2.5.6 and not regretting it one bit - also using a respective SIMPLEX version for it - got 30% GPU usage improvement (!!) while using graphics settings and smoother performance that, honestly, I could only dream of with these newer 2.7 versions! 😎

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 1

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

1 hour ago, LucShep said:

Taz1004 is absolutely correct.

The idea with SIMPLEX is exactly what the name suggests.... 🙂 simple and uncomplicated.
It tries to be as close to "stock" as possible in all aspects, while delivering most of the noticeable performance benefits of Kegetys' shaders. And that's it.

No slow loading of missions
No noticeable impact in image quality compared to stock. 
No I.C. issues for Multiplayer.

Of course, that also means some of the modified niceties are left out, such as clear water, or Albedo texture sharpening, or NVG scope adjustment, etc, because all of those cause the extremely annoying slow loading upon any new mission, and can easily break I.C. for Multiplayer, unfortunately.
Albeit a bit compromised, SIMPLEX works as intented and is good for everybody, with 2D or VR, in SP or MP.

But, although there are (small) performance gains with latest 2.7 versions with these shader mods, unfortunately the very high GPU usage and VRAM consumption with decent quality settings is still impossible to fix (and I'm not even using VR) - that one is on ED developers hands.
So, until I can afford one of the latest high end GPUs (which now, more than ever, seem really necessary, but outrageously priced), I'm not going to further update SIMPLEX shaders for latest versions. I'm done with 2.7 and its performance B.S.

Got back to DCS 2.5.6 and not regretting it one bit - also using a respective SIMPLEX version for it - got 30% GPU usage improvement (!!) while using graphics settings and smoother performance that, honestly, I could only dream of with these newer 2.7 versions! 😎

I confirm for simplex, that's too bad I didn't test it before...It give 95% of fps win you can have with Kegetys shadermod with the encrypted shaders of current DCS version, without any of the drawbacks of other version of the shadermod.... The next release of my mod will be compatible with it.

Edited by lefuneste01
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, lefuneste01 said:

I confirm for simplex, that's too bad I didn't test it before...It give 95% of fps win you can have with Kegetys shadermod with the encrypted shaders of current DCS version, without any of the drawbacks of other version of the shadermod.... The next release of my mod will be compatible with it.

Yes please!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

13 часов назад, LucShep сказал:

FWIW, I got back to DCS 2.5.6 and not regretting it one bit - also using a respective SIMPLEX version for it - got 30% GPU usage improvement (!!) while using graphics settings and smoother performance that, honestly, I could only dream of with these newer 2.7 versions! 

Did you try 2.7.9? I feel like it brought back the performance lost with first introduction of 2.7, so I don't think there's a reason to keep 2.5.6 anymore, unless maybe pushing older modules to the limits while ignoring clouds. Ka-50 SP or other helos would probably benefit the most from 2.5.6 in normal weather. Although I must say you made me curious so I'll try out 2.5.6 too for a comparison sake, maybe make a helicopter version out of it😉

Edited by Fiztex

6 hours ago, Fiztex said:

Did you try 2.7.9? I feel like it brought back the performance lost with first introduction of 2.7, so I don't think there's a reason to keep 2.5.6 anymore, unless maybe pushing older modules to the limits while ignoring clouds. Ka-50 SP or other helos would probably benefit the most from 2.5.6 in normal weather. Although I must say you made me curious so I'll try out 2.5.6 too for a comparison sake, maybe make a helicopter version out of it😉

Yep, of course I did.
It's somewhat closer to 2.7.6 performance, maybe slighty better but, for me, still utterly terrible, as has been with whatever version of DCS 2.7.
With whatever 2.7 version, with moderate settings and 60fps locked, my GPU (RX5700XT 8GB) works at 99%~100% usage, temps get overly hot, and VRAM consumption (actual real usage, not allocated) reaching and often surpassing the 8GB VRAM limit on it (F-14 A&B and Syria, for example).

Version 2.5.6 is the last version that the game worked ok for me, much happier now after returning to it - better perfomance and also gained in eye-candy, as I can pump a few settings a little more too (nicer overall image, plus no ugly canopy baked reflections).
The Caucasus looks just as nice with few mods done: https://imgur.com/a/2KZgvXv/all  (even feeling tempted to update the CGTC mod again)
I don't care about newest fancy clouds, water reflections or fire/explosions, if that means rendering the game unusable for me after so much invested in modules/maps. 🙂

Edited by LucShep

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

I totally understand and am considering downgrading as well. If only our multiplayer server would allow it..

Edited by Ready

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

1 час назад, LucShep сказал:

Yep, of course I did.
It's somewhat close to 2.7.6 performance, maybe slighty better but, for me, that is still utterly terrible as has been with whatever version of DCS 2.7
With whatever 2.7 version, moderate settings and 60fps locked, my GPU (RX5700XT 8GB) works at 99%~100% usage, temps get really hot, and VRAM consumption (actual real usage, not allocated) reaches and often surpassing the 8GB VRAM limit on it (F-14 A&B on Syria, for example).

Version 2.5.6 is the last version that the game worked ok for me, and much happier after returning to it - better perfomance and also gained in eye-candy (nicer overall image), as I can pump a few settings a little more too.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Shxx41WoyiVsTArAVlGxXoSwM7UKMWss?usp=sharing
Even feeling tempted to update the CGTC mod for Caucasus (for both 2.56 and 2.7).
 I don't care about fancy clouds, water reflections or fire/explosion effects, if that means rendering the game unusable for me after so much invested in modules/maps. 🙂

Yes, I'm testing 2.5.6 now and already can see that performance is better comparing to 2.7.9, especially with kegetys VR shaders for 2.5.6. The difference allows to set msaa 4x and PD 1.1 when 2.7.9 allow only msaa 2x and PD 1.0 with the same other settings. If only I had 3dmigoto for it, it would be great, I'd be using it for low level flying where I don't care much about clouds, otherwise the haze is just crazy. Do you have 3dmigoto for it by chance?

EDIT: managed to reduce haze by studying Taz1004 shaders, apparently it's all in one line in atmosphere.hlsl:

return color*transmittance + inscatterColor * gAtmIntensity * 0.5; //Taz1004 Haze

Add 0.5 multiplier for any version of kegetys shaders in this line and that's done, no need for 3dmigoto for that. Now I need to kill these horrible static reflections in some cockpits and it's pretty much ready to play 😁

Edited by Fiztex
  • Like 1

If you turn off the simple glass shader in hmd.hlsl on kegetys shader mod it gets rid of the static cockpit reflections. I've noticed no significant loss of performance because of it.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.