VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

Just now, Ready said:

Okay cheers. Will run a test without Albedo to compare performance.

Did you also notice the terrible shaking of the cockpit that was introduced with the latest OB? 

I think there's a slider for that under special.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

29 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

You're probably getting better performance with Simplex than Kegety's because Simplex gets rid of Albedo.  It has the setting in _HMD.hlsl but the function is in \Bazar]shaders\model\functions\diffuse.hlsl file.  And Simplex gets rid of that file.

And I did look at the codes a bit deeper and it appears ED added some luma adjustment to the cockpit.  To compensate for the new FLIR which is the cause for the frame loss between previous and current OB without any shaders... is my guess.  And Simplex removes this luma adjustment.  Below is image quality difference between Kegety's and Simplex.

Albedo in Kegety's below is 4x

I ran the test with the full Kegetys shader mod with Albedo SS set to 0x. 

You are correct, Simplex vs Albedo like for like are about the same performance-wise.

So in order to have Albedo to get rid of the shimmers in the cockpit we have to use the full shader mod? Or is there a way to add Albedo to Simplex as well?

Cheers

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

I think there's a slider for that under special.

There is no slider under special, but there is an option for wake turbulence under Gameplay. I always have it on, but this effects the hog's response to wake. I don't know if this would make a difference to switch this off, did not try it yet.

- Tried it, Wake turbulence OFF is no factor. Still shaking.-

I wanted to report it as a bug but found out it was already reported. BN informed that they are aware. 

Edited by Ready

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

7 minutes ago, Ready said:

I ran the test with the full Kegetys shader mod with Albedo SS set to 0x. 

You are correct, Simplex vs Albedo like for like are about the same performance-wise.

So in order to have Albedo to get rid of the shimmers in the cockpit we have to use the full shader mod? Or is there a way to add Albedo to Simplex as well?

Cheers

Just add diffuse.hlsl from Kegety's to Simplex with folder structure.  It probably will add to first time loading time but not as much as full.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

Just add diffuse.hlsl from Kegety's to Simplex with folder structure.  It probably will add to first time loading time but not as much as full.

Great, thanks

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

2 hours ago, Ready said:

There is no slider under special, but there is an option for wake turbulence under Gameplay. I always have it on, but this effects the hog's response to wake. I don't know if this would make a difference to switch this off, did not try it yet.

- Tried it, Wake turbulence OFF is no factor. Still shaking.-

I wanted to report it as a bug but found out it was already reported. BN informed that they are aware. 

Ah... I was thinking like camera shake.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

@Taz1004 maybe you may have an answer to this. Have been happy to use without the shaders as my performance is OK right now, but the bit I really want is the change to the NVGs (the ability to set the size in the lua so you can see under them). If I was just to butcher this mod to remove everything else and keep that, which files would I need to keep? Would hopefully make it more robust to future updates for me as that is the bit I care about.

Edited by Shiroka

28 minutes ago, Shiroka said:

@Taz1004 maybe you may have an answer to this. Have been happy to use without the shaders as my performance is OK right now, but the bit I really want is the change to the NVGs (the ability to set the size in the lua so you can see under them). If I was just to butcher this mod to remove everything else and keep that, which files would I need to keep? Would hopefully make it more robust to future updates for me as that is the bit I care about.

Keep

• _helper.hlsl
  • _HMD.hlsl
  • NVD_common.hlsl
  • NVD_HDR.fx

• Thanks 2

If I enable the Kegetys Shaders it makes my DDI's green (I am using the LCD Mod to make them black/white) does anyone know how to stop the shaders from making my DDI's green again?

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to the "rebuild" time when you are first loading DCS after installing these shaders:

1. Do I have to run in 2D and VR separately, or can I just turn the game on in 2D and go do something else for awhile, without having to worry about a subsequent delay again when I run in VR? 

2. Is there a rebuild time for each map?

Edited by DirtyMike0330

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

I havent tried this in ages, but from memory you need to let it run in 2d... if you are using OpenXR Composite you will get some nasty wobbling as a result of the shaders

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I'm kinda taking a liking to running at 30hz, MR always on. Not as flashy as I remember.

And you can crank the visuals.

--Arthur C Clark

5 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

I havent tried this in ages, but from memory you need to let it run in 2d... if you are using OpenXR Composite you will get some nasty wobbling as a result of the shaders

So after I purge shaders you’re saying on the first run it’s better to compile everything in 2d? Then run VR later?  Is this better long term for frame times or jitters or something?

or is this only to avoid being stuck in the helmet while it flashes and jitters a bit on first load. 

reason I ask is I’ve been religiously compiling in VR first after making changes and wondering if I’ve been screwing myself over :)

New Setup : 13900K, Asus ROG Strix 4090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, DT 1990 Pro Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Setup: 12900KS @ 5.5 , EVGA FTW3 Hybrid 3090, 64GB of DDR3600C14, 4x 2TB ADATA NVME, HP Reverb G2, Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil TM3 throttle, Monolith External Amp, Philips X2HR Headphones & TrackIR v5

Old Old Setup: 9900KS @ 5.2, EVGA FTW3 3090. 32GB of DDR3866, 3x 1TB ADATA NVME

no i dont think going into to 2d does naything for the VR Shaders 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Hey guys, 

I m tryin to get back into dcs after a long time (1 year) and I wanted to ask you what are the best VR shaders at the moment.

Also if you can point me to an website or page like this: How To Nail Your G1 & G2 Setup Optimized for Outstanding Views Thud's VR4DCS would be great. I see it hasn t been updated in a long time so I m not sure if those infos are still good.

Thanks

PS: I use a HP Reverb G2

Edited by Gabi_tro

5 hours ago, Gabi_tro said:

Hey guys, 

I m tryin to get back into dcs after a long time (1 year) and I wanted to ask you what are the best VR shaders at the moment.

Also if you can point me to an website or page like this: How To Nail Your G1 & G2 Setup Optimized for Outstanding Views Thud's VR4DCS would be great. I see it hasn t been updated in a long time so I m not sure if those infos are still good.

Thanks

PS: I use a HP Reverb G2

I go back and forth with Simplex shader mod.

As far as performance tweaking etc.... you're gonna wanna start here.

--Arthur C Clark