[REPORTED] Payload effect on airspeed

J13 Serenity

recent tests showed: all speeds approximate

Clean spitfire (long wings) 1000 feet speed: ~320 mph

Spitfire with any drop tank speed: ~320 mph

Spitfire After any drop tank jettisoned: ~320 mph

Spitfire with 2 bombs: ~320mph

Spitfire with 3 bombs: ~320 mph

Spitfire after dropping any bomb configuration (Bomb pylons remain): ~370 mph!!!

Almost as fast as FW190 with MW50!!!

Spitfire after bomb pylons jettisoned: back to ~320 mph!!!

The canopy open or closed apparently has no effect on speed

Other things:

Canopy glass is still present with canopy opened

Edited by J13 Serenity

There is a youtube video reporting the opposite thing.

The speed is changing with different stores.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

I think that there is not calculated (probably) external stores drag, it seems that only weight is.

I had similar resutls like Serenity.

I tried only stores under fuselage and when they were carried by Spitfires (for both models) the loss of speed was around 2-4km/h (external view F2 - True Speed) - it is totaly marginal, nearly nothing, it looks like loss due to increased plane weight.

When i dropped external fuel tanks, speed went back to the same speed like clean Spitfire flies.

But, when i dropped 500lbs bomb, Spitfire got some kind of "extra boost" and speed rose 24km/h above speed reached with clean Spitfire, again both models.

Did not tried efect caused by undewings stores and did not tried to release pylons.

All tests i performed with the same conditions and flight path...

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

Don't know about video with opposite results, but know that me and my friends were chasing and overtaking BF109 and WF190 on Burning Skies yesterday with bomb pylons... And that by having 3 bombs I was easily maintaining formation with friends on clean spitfires maintaining same MP and RPM...

Thats wrong for sure.

Thanks for the test, i hope ED will test the FM, drag, and perfomance with external stores in next updates.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

There is a youtube video reporting the opposite thing.

The speed is changing with different stores.

If you are talking about my video then no, it doesn't show the opposite thing.

I was very confused when there was no speed increase after tank release, but the speed DID keep climbing after the bomb drop. This matches the results that Serenity got here.

Something is very wrong with the FM now, and it relates to the tanks and bombs. 18 months this has been worked on, apparently...

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Anyone try the clipped wing yet? Im on hiatus from DCS, though I do lurk on the forums waiting for the Tomcat.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Anyone try the clipped wing yet? Im on hiatus from DCS, though I do lurk on the forums waiting for the Tomcat.

If the CW is an accurate reflection of what I've read happened in reality, then:

- The CW is slightly faster at low altitude (sub 20k feet)

- The CW is slightly slower at higher altitudes (above 20k feet) and has a slower climb rate

- The CW accelerates faster at lower speeds. Got the impression that it wasn't a major difference

- The roll rate/sec increased by something like 50%

In short, the CW would generally be better for low altitude work and suddenly has a roll rate that allows it to keep pace with a 190.

Here's a chart I found on roll rates, as they are speed dependent:

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/naca868-rollchart.jpg

Edited by Mr_sukebe

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

MW50 for the Spit...

Sorry, shouldn’t laugh

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• 3 months later...

Influence of Bombs on top Speed

Currently the Spit IX will still achieve its top speed of ~325-330 mph with Bombs loaded. After dropping said Bombs the Spit IX can achieve a maximum speed at sea level of about 380 MPH (612 km/h), which is significantly more than the real Spit IX could achieve at sea level (~333-336MPH).

I've attached a track below, as well as a video showing the issue.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

• 3 weeks later...

DCS Spitfire IX

Fixed bombs drag issue

I lol'ed when I seen this was fixed faster than the canopy bug.. lol..

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||