my Nvidia 1080 is on 100% no matter what

Took the entire sliders to the left, everything is on off or low. Doesn't matter. 100% GPU.

2K screen. everything is on minimum.

i7 8700, win 10, enough RAM.

stable 2.5 version.

Any Idea ?

Not sure I understand. if the settings are all on low, why would my GPU be on 100% ?

DCS World is such a demanding graphical game even with the lowest settings ? I find it hard to believe.

The sim should be pushing you GPU and cpu as much as possible. ED is doing a lot of work in this area now and going forward. I put my settings on the (preset low) so you can see what happens, as I lowered the settings I was able to get close to my max 144Hz G-sync @ 92% Gpu. I normally run max graphic settings at 60-70ish fps in the cities.

Stock clock on gpu (graphic preset low)

attachment.php?attachmentid=189620&stc=1&d=1531207089

lowpreset.jpg.ca6ef4852dc73e3c7576c8581ff72938.jpg

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

:thumbup: nothing wrong, that is what you paid for !!!

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Basically, if you aren't using VSYNC=On your framerate will increase until either: your GPU hits 100% or your CPU hits 100% or Something else hits 100%. In your case, I'm guessing with pretty empty missions, your GPU is hitting 100% first. Go play on the GaW server and you'll see it'll be much lower.

100% GPU is a good thing, you want your GPU working hard. Even with your graphical options turned low your GPU will just render more frames, it will still work at 100% of it's ability.

Exactly. Games are generally programmed to utilize the GPU fully, running as many frames per second as it possibly can. The graphics options quality level will affect how much frames per second GPU is able to render. The only way to have GPU working below its full capacity is to free resources from it (which again game by default is trying to fully utilize):

1. Have a CPU or other hardware that is bottle-necking the GPU - which is obviously not a good thing

2. Enforce a maximum rendered FPS level, setting it bellow the FPS achieved by the GPU. This will introduce idle time to GPU. It can be done directly by editing DCS options or indirectly by enabling VSYNC. By default DCS caps the frames to 200 if I'm correct. Little to no reason in my opinion to touch this setting and as for VSYNC - you'll be doing yourself a good favor not wasting your time considering and enabling it. Really, "those aren't the droids you're looking for".

Finally, why running a low settings on 1080 Ti? This doesn't seem to make too much sense.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Took the entire sliders to the left, everything is on off or low. Doesn't matter. 100% GPU.

2K screen. everything is on minimum.

i7 8700, win 10, enough RAM.

stable 2.5 version.

Any Idea ?

whats the memory of your graphics card?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

---- " In Peace.....Prepare to War "--------

Wishlist : F-4 Phantom / F-20 TigerShark / Su-34

Processor Core i7 4790, 32 Gb RAM, 2 Tb SSHD, GTX 750 2Gb, 1920X1080 Gaming Monitor, Senze Joypad, Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit, VMware Workstation 12 for WindowsXP with Office 2007 and Linux OpenSUSE for Net Access.

Some people like turning on VSync to stop screen tearing. In DCS this is a very reasonable thing to enable, absolutely stable 60fps is better than variable 75-110fps IMO.

Absolutely stable FPS is generally not possible. Eventually the FPS will drop below the 60 FPS cap, which in case of VSYNC enabled will reduce the FPS by half, to 30 FPS. Besides the fact that card is underused and instead of potentially doing 53 FPS it does 30, this transition quite often is accompanied with a noticeable stutter. Another great "advantage" of VSYNC is that it creates a horrific input lag. Maybe DCS isn't a crazy fast paced FPS like game but just because the of the TrackIR, the input lag really matters. Want to have this "sea sickness" feeling of TIR connected to your PC with a rubber band - just set the VSYNC to on.

Variable FPS is no issue when using a monitor with adaptive sync. If you think about it, the whole whole concept behind the VSYNC is flown to begin with. It's kind of like solving a problem by trying to fight the symptom not the root cause. You can't solve a hardware problem with a software. Anyway, the good thing is that since few years already the adaptive sync capable monitors are publicly available. While obviously being more pricey a monitor with an adaptive sync is really a only true solution to the screen tearing problem.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

well.. outside of VR,.. cant think of any good reason to chase frames above 60fps... unless you just want to make more heat with your gpu... its a flight sim... not exactly a twitch game guys.. IMO set your refresh to 60hz and vsync it.. GPU will run cool at around 60-70% load butter smooth.. efficient..

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

well.. outside of VR,.. cant think of any good reason to chase frames above 60fps... unless you just want to make more heat with your gpu... its a flight sim... not exactly a twitch game guys.. IMO set your refresh to 60hz and vsync it.. GPU will run cool at around 60-70% load butter smooth.. efficient..

If not in a Flight Sim, where then ???

Dota2 has no Chars at Mach 1.2 at 12m ASL where fps is everything.

edit* and I guess you have not yet personally enjoyed Gsync at way above 100fps. It does make a difference.

The faster you move, the better and more relevant fps become.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

If not in a Flight Sim, where then ???

Dota2 has no Chars at Mach 1.2 at 12m ASL where fps is everything.

edit* and I guess you have not yet personally enjoyed Gsync at way above 100fps. It does make a difference.

The faster you move, the better and more relevant fps become.

common debate... i personally have experienced the side by side difference of 144hz, 120hz, and 60hz... in first person shooters, some would benefit of max refresh and fps as it can in some cases provide a slight edge in responsiveness... visual quality difference is slightly enhanced, but honestly side by side, hard to even tell what the difference is... and would most likely be the minimal difference of perceivable blur between 2 frames over the same distance as 3 or 4 frames.. again.. IMO minimal and not worth the hardware cost unless used for something that requires absolute critical response times to be competitive... ex... not DCS.. not tryin to argue... just tryin to provide a practical perspective... locked at 60fps, butter smooth, and runnin cool.

Edited by DflippinK
dislexia

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

I'm running 100Hz GSync and can easily tell it does make a difference in DCS. TrackIR is just much more smooth, crisp and responsive and fore-mostly much more precise in 80-100 FPS range then it is at 40-60 FPS. I can generally feel the difference when on ground with 40 FPS and when flying high or or looking into the sky with 90+ FPS.

As for the VSync - DCS is the only community where I find it being advised. I played FPS for a long time with a group of friends and turning the VSync off was a pretty much a first advice being given to anyone. Not even because of trying to be competitive but just being able to stand a chance. Just look at the video below. I think it really makes obvious how big the cost of VSync is. Doesn't it really matter for DCS? Again consider the TrackIR response lag or maneuvering in a precise flight regime like air refueling or even landing.

Anyway, its a private choice but I don't see much of a logic behind improving a bit the picture quality with a cost of ruining the way how hardware is being interfaced with and experienced. Everyone complains about the DCS "net code" and network lag. I wonder how many of those folks fly with the VSync on.

I'm running 100Hz GSync and can easily tell it does make a difference in DCS. TrackIR is just much more smooth, crisp and responsive and fore-mostly much more precise in 80-100 FPS range then it is at 40-60 FPS. I can generally feel the difference when on ground with 40 FPS and when flying high or or looking into the sky with 90+ FPS.

As for the VSync - DCS is the only community where I find it being advised. I played FPS for a long time with a group of friends and turning the VSync off was a pretty much a first advice being given to anyone. Not even because of trying to be competitive but just being able to stand a chance. Just look at the video below. I think it really makes obvious how big the cost of VSync is. Doesn't it really matter for DCS? Again consider the TrackIR response lag or maneuvering in a precise flight regime like air refueling or even landing.

Anyway, its a private choice but I don't see much of a logic behind improving a bit the picture quality with a cost of ruining the way how hardware is being interfaced with and experienced. Everyone complains about the DCS "net code" and network lag. I wonder how many of those folks fly with the VSync on.

oh i dont know how many people use vsync or not.. makes perfect sense for me on a 4k screen at 60hz.. but not experiencing any lag... i mean... its just always locked at 60fps... it is consistent.. looks incredible, smooth as silk, with no stutters, no lagging that i can perceive, and not even demanding a sweat from the hardware.. for me, thats what a flight sim should be.. so im pretty stoked on it.. it sounds like variable and max fps is workin well for what it brings to your experience and that is totally cool... especially if its all running well without hiccups.. :thumbup:

Yeah, when paused I also have 100% - could be drivers, AMD/Nvidia need to start supporting this game more, you never see any mentions in the driver notes, DCS is shaping up graphicall and it should be included in the tech industry as a common benchmark such as crysis/doom etc, maybe after it gets Vulkan API support sites might start picking it up and hopefully it gets through to the industry.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria