Night Lighting

wilbur81

It wasn't perfect with the old HDR rendering but it was definitely more usable.

While DS looks prettier at certain time of the day, it definitely delivered more issues than it fixed. It is way more hardware demanding, lights broken, old modules look worst.. doesn't worth the small eye candy improvement.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It wasn't perfect with the old HDR rendering but it was definitely more usable.

While DS looks prettier at certain time of the day, it definitely delivered more issues than it fixed. It is way more hardware demanding, lights broken, old modules look worst.. doesn't worth the small eye candy improvement.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

Agree !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I fly VR and monitor and out of the sims I have offering night lighting DCS 2.5 is least enjoyable as almost impossible to see. I don't know how to get scientific about measuring the difference, but for me I do not fly at night in DCS anymore because there is nothing to see.

XP11 is the best example I have and simply mesmerising with all the moving traffic too. Aerofly is also amazingly realistic, just no moving traffic.

I can post screenshots if it helps, but usual response is "yes but they're not a complicated battle sim like DCS". Well night lighting worked as means of illuminating the world at night in DCS 1.5

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

Night working correctly here.

Try some moon.

You are ignoring basically every issue raised. And even with the full moon, which is the ONLY time night is even 'passable/usable' in DCS, there are a TON of lighting issues.

DS is a failure unless DCS is meant to be a daylight sim only. Which it is not. Other tech such as HDR combined with Global Illumination(Which DCS really needs) along with PBR is proven and established and delivers, along with other tech like Spritelites that has been around for years. That tech is what is used by the other majors that delivers amazing results. DS seems like some failed experiment but ED committed to it and we are stuck with it and must suffer with it if fans of night flying.

If using modules like the harrier, the hornet (which have proper instrumentation and first of all NVG googles) its ok, but have you tried flying at night with a su27, f15, mig29?

it is dark pitch.

Yes, I fly mostly the Eagle. There is one mission in Bear Trap and one in The Georgian War. Not a priblem. At take off and landings you got visuals. In the formation you see lights of wingmen. Nav tells you where you are. In fight you rely on AWACS, radar and RWR. It's your responsibility as a pilot to know where you are and not crash into mountain.

I see a lot of guys here misunderstanding the problem. The night is a night. You're not suppose to see anything beside light sources depending on their strenght and distance. Yes, pitch black unless moonlight makes you see anything.

It's not a problem of the rendering tech they choose. It's just about tweaking light strenght vs distance and adding the shadows where they should be.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

• ED Team

Guys, please don't fight each other over your opinions on this, no doubt night lighting still needs some love, it's much better than it was when we started with 2.5, but its now 100% there yet. So beating each other up isn't really worth it.

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• 2 months later...

The issue I have with night lighting is that when in an external view things seem to appear properly. However, once in-cockpit, entire cities stop rendering, and the terrain is much darker. It's as if someone "turned out the lights" as can be seen here: https://imgur.com/a/IIYVMo0

The taxi/landing lights are also pretty much invisible in the second situation, which is noticeable in more modules than just the Su-25T. If it wasn't for this difference, the night lighting would be significantly better.

Edited by Xoho

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My guess is that this issue might require a major modification to the rendering process/engine.

I wish that we could at least have an alternate solution to help with the runway and taxiway light sources and halo effects.

Runways are still invisible in the distance from just a few nautical miles and it makes visual approaches hazardous and unrealistic.

Here's a recent example from a mission attempting to land at Sukhumi at sunset :

unknown.png

Using the zoom from the exact same position, game paused:

unknown.png

The runway is really hard to see even with a lower HUD brightness.

unknown.png

I'm using these settings:

unknown.png

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///