L-39 ATC communication.

hsth

Hi,

I've tested this only with the L-39 module (DCS version 2.5) as I noticed this problem first with this module. Please feel free to test this on other modules.

At first I deleted the DCS & Saved Games directories completely to rule out any time-creeping issues.

Did a complete new install & updated to the latest 2.5 version.

Map: Caucasus.

Airfield: Batumi.

Created new missions with L-39C, parked hot.

First with default coalition as presented by Mission Editor.

1. New mission where country = USA. Request taxi question = English, ATC reply = English.

2. New mission where country = Russia. Request taxi question = Russian, ATC reply = Russian.

3. Change country to Russia in first mission. Request taxi question = Russian, ATC reply = none.

4. Change country to USA in second mission. Request taxi question = English, ATC reply = none.

Now change coalition for new missions. One new mission where Russia is moved to blue coalition and another where USA is moved to red coalition.

1. New mission where country = USA. Request taxi question = English, ATC reply = English.

2. New mission where country = Russia. Request taxi question = Russian, ATC reply = Russian.

3. Change country to Russia in first mission. Request taxi question = Russian, ATC reply = Russian.

4. Change country to USA in second mission. Request taxi question = English, ATC reply = English.

It seems that the language for the communication with ATC is depending on the coalition/country combination when the mission is created. If there is any deviation, ATC will not respond.

The settings in the menu (Gameplay - language native/English and for all missions ticked or not) does not have any impact on this.

To me this is annoying as training missions and campaigns are also influenced by this.

In the first case, if I understand correctly, you ended up with the aircraft being in one coalition and the airfield in the other coalition, right? If that's the case, I think the behavior is intentional. The ATC won't give an enemy aircraft permission to do anything (why would it?).

Maybe I don't understand it fully but your answer implies that you cannot change country for a plane once it has been placed on a specific airfield. So a training mission created in Russian language could not be used for users in English language. Meaning that you cannot use an existing mission but would have to recreate from new.

Is that what you are saying?

In the first case, if I understand correctly, you ended up with the aircraft being in one coalition and the airfield in the other coalition, right? If that's the case, I think the behavior is intentional. The ATC won't give an enemy aircraft permission to do anything (why would it?).

+1. It seems that two last cases (3 and 4) result in a situation that the pilot is trying to communicate with an hostile airfield ATC. Not even a neutral one, simply owned by the opposite coalition.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

You can change the country of a plane on an airfield (you just did that! ;)) but if you want to talk to ATC you also need to change the coalition of the airfield to match that of the plane. Unselect the plane, click on the airfield and set it's coalition in airfield configuration form.

Thanks for the explanation. smile.gif

In VR I'm trying to rely more on audio than on reading and it would have been much easier (for me!) if communication language could be set on a user preference. Like the written messages.

But I guess it is what it is now.