Disable VR cursor-headset lock when Use Mouse enabled

Tailhook

I dont agree. It's a bug whatever you call it in a VR envelope. The mouse should never be moved with the head anyway. At least the option to prevent this should be there in DCS. Many other games have solution for this (e.g. Elite). So pleasssseeeee...

Actually, it's not. The mouse pointer stays in the exact same place within the window, if you don't move the mouse. When you turn your head, the visual cockpit representation moves.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 2 weeks later...

Technically, what Captain Orso is saying is correct, it's not a "bug" since the mouse is behaving as it should. What we are asking for here is a "Feature Enhancement" so that the mouse does not move with the HMD.

And for confirmation, I would also love to have the VR headset separated from mouse as well. I would prefer that where I look does not affect mouse movement.

• 2 weeks later...
This week we internally added the option to control the cursor with either the mouse or head movement.

Hopefully, this and other VR improvements like pixel density selection will be rolled to a release version soon.

Thanks

If I understand correctly this is something was worked on a time ago? Isn't it?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Don't think so. It's still is the way it used to be.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

That this option never made its way into DCS is obvious to me, because both methods are difficult to use and not what anyone wants.

Let's be clear about a couple of things first. The problem is that currently the mouse-pointer position is not in reference to the virtual cockpit. It only references its cartesian coordinates on the monitor (Windows desktop), so when you turn your real world head, the virtual cockpit sweeps across your monitor, but the mouse pointers remains absolutely stationary on the desktop.

So if you were to place your mouse on a box with a void below your mouse's motion-detection or simply disable its sensors, so that it can never report of any movement of the mouse, then you would basically have the same environment as in Oculus Home. The "mouse pointer" is centered on your HMD and you move the pointer by moving your head.

But that is awkward and uncomfortable. We don't want to control the mouse-pointer with our heads, but rather with the mouse, but only with mouse movement being relative to the virtual cockpit. Nothing else is of use in the DCS virtual world.

Anchoring the mouse-pointer to the virtual cockpit cannot be any issue at all. Every clickable switch has it's coordinates constantly calculated to the desktop, but anchored to the virtual cockpit. Simply do the same to the mouse-pointer, but allow the mouse to modify the position of the pointer within the virtual cockpit through mouse-movement-input.

It's as simply as that, and should have been done this way from the beginning.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

That this option never made its way into DCS is obvious to me, because both methods are difficult to use and not what anyone wants.

Let's be clear about a couple of things first. The problem is that currently the mouse-pointer position is not in reference to the virtual cockpit. It only references its cartesian coordinates on the monitor (Windows desktop), so when you turn your real world head, the virtual cockpit sweeps across your monitor, but the mouse pointers remains absolutely stationary on the desktop.

So if you were to place your mouse on a box with a void below your mouse's motion-detection or simply disable its sensors, so that it can never report of any movement of the mouse, then you would basically have the same environment as in Oculus Home. The "mouse pointer" is centered on your HMD and you move the pointer by moving your head.

But that is awkward and uncomfortable. We don't want to control the mouse-pointer with our heads, but rather with the mouse, but only with mouse movement being relative to the virtual cockpit. Nothing else is of use in the DCS virtual world.

Anchoring the mouse-pointer to the virtual cockpit cannot be any issue at all. Every clickable switch has it's coordinates constantly calculated to the desktop, but anchored to the virtual cockpit. Simply do the same to the mouse-pointer, but allow the mouse to modify the position of the pointer within the virtual cockpit through mouse-movement-input.

It's as simply as that, and should have been done this way from the beginning.

This really does sounds like a great way to do it. I hope it can actually be done and done soon if possible. It really is uncomfortable the way it is currently implemented.

• 2 weeks later...

I see I'm not the only one annoyed by the mouse pointer in VR. As I wrote in an other post, my proposition would be to disable the head tracking of the pointer for slow or small head movement. It would follow the head when turning your head from one part of the coclpit to another but it would stay stable when you keep your head still.

• 1 month later...

BMS has a ‘sticky’ softlock too. It kinda snaps to interact-able buttons and switches unless you move a certain threshold.

I don’t really need it to be at the exact same spot, because that can cause you to lose the cursor, but it should normalise the movement of the head to start out with.

With trackir and VR I simply don’t keep my head steady.

stevie

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

CO 1st.ROF Netherlands 322 Sqn.RAF.

"Niet praten, maar doen!"

Founded '97 in Warbirds

i7-7800X - 16GB - GTX1070

X56 Rhino - TrackIR5 - TM Pedals - Rift S

I have no idea why people thinks this. In the cockpit, try opening the comm menu with \ key. You get the white dot that's independent of your HMD. Is it difficult to point that white dot to something? Move your head around and is it difficult to find that dot again? This is the way people want and it is not difficult to use. It's far more intuitive.

Reason why this is not being implemented? My guess is it's because ED wants to keep both method. It should be easy to detach the pointer from the HMD and just use mouse. But they don't want to do this as there will be people who don't want to use mouse and only use their head. Plus the people who don't use VR or TrackIR. The pointer needs to be in relation to the camera or they'll never find it in 360' space. Trying to keep both option is why this is difficult to implement. Not difficult to use.

Edited by Taz1004

I have no idea why people thinks this. In the cockpit, try opening the comm menu with \ key. You get the white dot that's independent of your HMD. Is it difficult to point that white dot to something? Move your head around and is it difficult to find that dot again? This is the way people want and it is not difficult to use. It's far more intuitive.

It may be easy for you to use, but not for most. It was one of the first things people noted when VR just came onto the market, that aiming with your head is awkward and takes getting used to. That is the opposite of intuitive.

Reason why this is not being implemented?.

Because ED generally leaves things in the 'good enough' box when they aren't direct HW simulation. Can you designate what switch you want to operate, regardless of how awkward and taxing it is? Yes? Then it's 'good enough'.

My guess is it's because ED wants to keep both method. It should be easy to detach the pointer from the HMD and just use mouse. But they don't want to do this as there will be people who don't want to use mouse and only use their head. Plus the people who don't use VR or TrackIR. The pointer needs to be in relation to the camera or they'll never find it in 360' space. Trying to keep both option is why this is difficult to implement. Not difficult to use.

Read the thread. There are many who wish for this very much. If we had it and you didn't want to use it, then just don't use it. Simple as that. You make no point other than, 'meh, I don't want it'. Then turn around and go away, because this thread is for people to discuss a solution they would like to have implemented to make their experience better. You bring nothing to the table that will make anything better for anyone.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

• 3 months later...
Read the thread. There are many who wish for this very much. If we had it and you didn't want to use it, then just don't use it. Simple as that. You make no point other than, 'meh, I don't want it'. Then turn around and go away, because this thread is for people to discuss a solution they would like to have implemented to make their experience better. You bring nothing to the table that will make anything better for anyone.

I am FOR this solution. I WANT it. You did not understand me at all.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...