Very poor MP stability and performance since the last few patches

Hi all,

I've had some issues with my FPS stability in the game since Open Beta 2.5 patch 4 or so. My performance went from a smooth stable 60 fps to 60 FPS most of the time and some drops in between. In SP it will drop to 20-30, stutter briefly and then recover, but in MP it drops to almost 0 with slightly longer stuttering. This occurs frequently enough for it to be highly annoying and also leads to a lot of unwanted crashes, failed dogfights and botched landings.

My specs are: AMD FX-8320, 16 GB RAM, GeForce 1060 6GB, DCS installed on SSD, Windows 10. I use Opentrack with a Trackhat solution.

I've tried a lot of things. I've pretty much gone through all of the graphics settings, preload, etc. This doesn't make a noticeable difference.

I've updated all drivers on my system, no effect.

I've set a static page file, this also made no difference.

I've tried using nVidia control panel for the graphic settings, no difference either.

I've tried overclocking my CPU, no noticeable effect.

When keeping an eye on my CPU/GPU utilization, neither seems to hit 100% either. So I'm not sure if something is bottle necking or not.

I'm running out of options. I hope that this turns out to be a wrinkle that gets ironed out soon by ED. I love flying in this game, but at the moment, it's unplayable in MP and SP training missions get stale eventually.

Hi all,

I've had some issues with my FPS stability in the game since Open Beta 2.5 patch 4 or so. My performance went from a smooth stable 60 fps to 60 FPS most of the time and some drops in between. In SP it will drop to 20-30, stutter briefly and then recover, but in MP it drops to almost 0 with slightly longer stuttering. This occurs frequently enough for it to be highly annoying and also leads to a lot of unwanted crashes, failed dogfights and botched landings.

My specs are: AMD FX-8320, 16 GB RAM, GeForce 1060 6GB, DCS installed on SSD, Windows 10. I use Opentrack with a Trackhat solution.

I've tried a lot of things. I've pretty much gone through all of the graphics settings, preload, etc. This doesn't make a noticeable difference.

I've tried using nVidia control panel for the graphic settings, no difference either.

When keeping an eye on my CPU/GPU utilization, neither seems to hit 100% either. So I'm not sure if something is bottle necking or not.

I'm running out of options. I hope that this turns out to be a wrinkle that gets ironed out soon by ED. I love flying in this game, but at the moment, it's unplayable in MP and SP training missions get stale eventually.

try deleting the contents of your fxo and metashaders2 folders located in:

C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta

just open both folders and delete the contents of each... restart dcs and it will repopulate them accordingly...

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

try deleting the contents of your fxo and metashaders2 folders located in:

C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta

just open both folders and delete the contents of each... restart dcs and it will repopulate them accordingly...

I did that too, multiple times, but alas no difference :(

I did that too, multiple times, but alas no difference :(

do you run fullscreen or full res windowed?.. full res windowed seems to tax the cpu less... also, while flying, hit Alt+Enter and switch between Fullscreen and Windowed mode... it does indeed still have an effect... sometimes, i will notice higher CPU and GPU usage and if i Alt+Enter twice, it goes back to its normal usage... give it a shot... as it is easy to do in game... seems like an odd bug, but it is real... additionally, there are a couple of post about the network adapter causing issues.. but i didnt get hit by that one.. if that doesnt work, you may need to repair or even re-install DCS... but id check for some of the odd issues first..

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

Monitor your system while this happens so you can see WHAT is causing it.

memory management is still an issue with 16GB systems, it could well be your OS working the pagefile back 'n' forth. You should be able to monitor that.

Once you know WHAT causes it, you can fix it.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Well, I have monitored my system, I even installed Process Lasso to see what's going on.

Neither Disk, CPU or GPU ever top out, but I do get intermittent "unresponsive" notifications on the system. So something is causing the system to briefly soft-freeze. This happens with and w/o overclocking. I get the same problem while playing Squad, but that's based on the Unreal engine and Unreal engine doesn't like AMD. Other games run fine.

Ive been banging on about this for weeks and searched through every suggested solution that I can find. My DCS used to be smooth as silk and now I don't go on there except to go on the forums to see if there has been a solution. Ive been onto DCS and they are aware of the problem and are working on it but hitherto they've not found a solution. Ive come on site today because it is Wednesday and the hope is that the Wednesday update might contain something. Unfortunately it seems to be stumping the guys at ED at t he mo.

Neil

Unfortunately, it appears to be heavy data traffic between the ED server and each individuals machine causing it. It even badly affects VR single player on the PG map. Jitters and stuttery hourglass symbols everywhere.

Disconnecting your internet connection prior to starting DCS and running in offline mode cures it. Unfortunately for MP.........

I guess someone dropped the ball when altering the data gathering applet.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

AHA ! that's why I and likely others with fat internet pipes dont have those issues.

If that is true it is up to ED to hold off with data collection until it's been fixed as there is nothing the customer could do to fix it but getting a bigger pipe with lots of UL speed

*edit:

You have tried with Data Collection set to OFF ??? does that do anything in this regard ?

*edit 2:

Installed the update of today, cleaned out the shader folders and started DCS @ BlueFlag Server while monitoring the network bandwidth.

There is a permanent upload of 32-46KBits/sec, very stable. Same applies to my download, a stable 440-460 KBits/sec, seldom spikes to 600KBits/sec when you for example use radio Comms for the 1st time, subsequent calls for PAK info etc. did not cause any more spikes. They likely will once the info sent to the client is obsolete and needs a new DL package. It seems like you get all PAK info and all others info as well, displayed is only what you asked for, the other data will become obsolete I assume after a given time.

There is nothing bandwidth wise that any ordinary DSL or Cable ISP could not do.

The only thing that was a bit off, the server only had 10 clients, sadly no server had more clients. my ping was 33ms btw.

I need to redo this with 50+ players, actually FLY for an hour and log it but I doubt it will change significantly.

Whatever causes your network to puke might be something else. Make sure all your TV's are OFF, HiFi OFF, any GADGETS to OFF and try again.

You will be amazed how much traffic an ordinary "modern" household can produce in idle !!!!!! 2 Smart TV's, couple Smartphones and Tablets, ALexa or AppleTV, 2 Access Points + Router, etc etc... they all talk every other second !

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Living in a small rural community out in the middle of nowhere, I only get 3.5 - 4mb/s on a very good day. It doesn't take much.....

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

3.4 - 4mb/s = ? mbits or megabyte

3-4 megabyte is plenty, mbits is not

with megabits you need a very very nice day to make it tbt.

3.4 - 4mb/s = ? mbits or megabyte

3-4 megabyte is plenty, mbits is not

with megabits you need a very very nice day to make it tbt.

That would be megabits.....

OK, well, then you know whom to blame, your ISP !

Sorry mate, but that is beyond what can be fixed with settings or tweaks, this is a physical issue.

Your only hope is that ED reworks the netcode so it only uses like HALF of what it does now, say 150-250KBits/sec in DL: Server-->Client.

But even then, if there is only the slightest traffic caused by any other component of your PC ( AV, Win Updates, Email, etc etc. ) and-or other devices on your home network...then it will be nulled again and you will get booted from the server ;(

Not much you can do, damn !

I've decided to upgrade my rig. I've ordered new CPU/RAM/Mobo. Ryzen 2600X, G.Skill Ripjaw 32 GB DDR4-3200 and MSI X470 Pro.

I'll report back once I have the gear, rebuilt my rig, reinstall windows, re-download all of DCS and then see what happens.

Hi all,

Yes .. every good advice .. gentlemen, let's admit that DCS 2.5 is very unstable and causes stuttering. By the coming of version 2.5, hardware requirements have increased. If the user does not reach 60 fps, he / she has a bad luck. I have a vsync set at 1/2 at 30 fps. Unreal Stutter. Nothing smooth. There is no setup. Previous versions of DCS were smooth. What is wrong ?

All attempts at the smoothness of simulation are only alchemy that does not help. If the previous versions could work smoothly, why not the latter? :music_whistling:

<White Tiger>

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've decided to upgrade my rig. I've ordered new CPU/RAM/Mobo. Ryzen 2600X, G.Skill Ripjaw 32 GB DDR4-3200 and MSI X470 Pro.

I'll report back once I have the gear, rebuilt my rig, reinstall windows, re-download all of DCS and then see what happens.

Right, so I said I'd report back once done. I've upgraded my rig as following:

FX-8320 --> Ryzen 5 2600X

Asus AM3 motherboard --> Asus Prime X470 Pro (Liked the ASUS more than the MSI offering)

16GB DDR3-1600 --> 32GB DDR4-3200

The rest of my rig is the same, so still Windows 10, DCS on SSD, GeForce 1060 6GB.

The difference is larger than night and day. I've even increased my settings and I'm getting solid 60 fps in DCS MP on "high" settings with shadows turned off. The only stuttering that occasionally happens is server side and very brief as my system recovers almost instantly.

It's a bit cliche to say that the difference is night and day, but it is. It's unbelievable.

*note to self: don't forget to enable XMP settings in the BIOS to make the RAM run at 3200 MHz instead of 2133 MHz ;) :P

It's a bit cliche to say that the difference is night and day, but it is. It's unbelievable.

Flight simulators do require a beefy PC, it's just the nature of the genre.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Well, that's one way of putting it. Another would be to use optimized code. Overloading a single core for performance is really not the approach that is most viable, that just gives you 1/n amount of performance out of your CPU.

Are you NineLine's brother? Thats exactly what he would say, too.

Well, that's one way of putting it. Another would be to use optimized code. Overloading a single core for performance is really not the approach that is most viable, that just gives you 1/n amount of performance out of your CPU.

Any complaint about bad MP performance is met with answers like "Your PC Sucks" or "Your internet sucks", from the ED staff. They have announced a dedicated server server software, which will be released in Autumn. We have to wait, many many more have performance issues with MP.

Edited by FistofZen

Am I special?

These flight sims and I mean most of them where built in the single CPU day. Now these very high end apps don't even have a large niche to throw massive amounts of cash around, only the last few years has it picked back up and ED is doing a great job pushing into multi core, rebuilding a graphics engine, implementing Valkan and dedicated server. To do this required pulling apart 1.5 million lines of code and have it all still work across cores altogether. You make it sound like these simulations are easy to throw together when they are the hardest to balance and the rewards are marginal vs effort. You need very talented coders/engineers that are very passionate to be in this field.

DCS is looking better all the time from my testing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=187130&d=1528593872

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Any complaint about bad MP performance is met with answers like "Your PC Sucks" or "Your internet sucks", from the ED staff. They have announced a dedicated server server software, which will be released in Autumn. We have to wait, many many more have performance issues with MP.

I'm not debating that in some of the cases, the fault is at the user side. However, there is no doubt that ED can and should optimize their code to make better use of modern systems. I'm not saying that it's easy, coding for the race conditions will be absolute hell for sure, but eventually they will have to.

Think of it this way, if you're only using two cores (One for the game, one for Audio) now, how much potential is there within modern computers to run your game better, considering that most modern computers have at least four cores and likely more?

You make it sound like these simulations are easy to throw together when they are the hardest to balance and the rewards are marginal vs effort. You need very talented coders/engineers that are very passionate to be in this field.

I'm well aware of the challenges, I was merely pointing out that eventually they will have to move to a multi threaded application. Both AMD and Intel are expanding their core/thread count and even though clock cycles and IPC (instructions per clock) are still rising, the direction in which software developers should be moving is clear.

I don't doubt that there will be some progress made on the multi threading abstraction layer, so that would make it easier for companies to use that, rather than writing raw code themselves.

What I have pointed out is that they are doing this and it's taken years to do, Things like Vulkan api will be a game changer I'm thinking, It's all happening but it wont happen as quick as we like or ED would like, It's a lot of effort going on here for our and EDs future. Look at the pic, that's more that two cores getting some work here.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

dedicated server server software, which will be released in autumn

Autumn? Where did you hear this? Was that an official statement? Because if it was, you just made my day ;)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.