Should I trust my ASP Pipper at Gun Range?

KilledAlive

I have been getting familarized with air to air gun combat, but as far as I can tell, I just can't trust my pipper to land precise hits of targets, whether they move or not. It's great for determining the effective gun range on a target, or, with a target that remains on a constant vector. Overall, when it comes to firing at precise areas of an aircraft, i find the Static Gunsight way more effective to, let's say, blasting out an engine on a bomber, or a pressed attack on an aircraft's fuselage.

I do remember looking through the pilot's manual, and it did emphasize the use of the Static Gunsight over the Pipper in combat.

What usually happens for me is this kind of scenario: in the final adjustments before firing while in range, i nudge the aircraft a little too far to one side and the pip just dances around for a good 5 seconds or so, and through that window, it's too late. Is sideslip the issue? Or just poor gunnery performance?

Right now the ASP is in a neverending limbo state between initial, somewhat simplified and unrealistic implementation (as per module's manual) and (hopefully) more accurate one in the unspecified future. There were some improvements in the sight code implemented in recent years (not mentioned in the manual mind you), and more are planned to come, but it's still a bit of a mess.

So to answer the question - don't trust it and figure out whatever works best in chosen situation.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

As I understand it, there are damping coils which possibly get firmer and firmer as the range decreases. When the override 300m electrical contact is made sight is fixed in vertical but motion is allowed horizontal. In 300m mode there is no function for sight cage (lock on) button. Damping is the most power.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=141034

I think it is best to investigate damping and steady state accuracy separately. With labels for distance verification and perhaps heavily tuned axes for smoothness of stick motion it should be seen how accurate the pipper is for steady turn (if can be made to act predictably).

Proper technique is to observe pipper displacement and then hold sight cage button and maneuver to place pipper that distance ahead then let go and it should drift back over target.