Reconnaissance Camera

Snapps

I remember back in the day playing jet fighter 2, I always enjoyed the missions that involved flying to some ship or compound and taking a few photos. I’m not sure how it works IRL, if it’s an onboard built-in camera or it’s done with a pod but I’d love to see this option even if it’s just a single player or campaigne thing. Is this something that’s planned for down the road?

Oh I just remembered that movie Behind enemy lines when the pilot ejected and he had to get to the ejection seat to get the tape of the mass graves. That was a SH tho? I know it might sound strange asking for a camera in a combat sim but those missions where so much fun and if the real hornet has it then I’d love to see the option at some point too.

Not sure if it’s been talked about already so I’m just asking if there are any plans for it in the future.

I would presume in real life that when it come to recon they would use a special pod that can take high resolution photos and thousands pr minute, including termal and other sensors to map the area.

( example a radar map of an area, but just a guess ).

( i am pretty sure that example the F16 have such a pod, im pretty sure they used it some years ago in denmark before an important meeting where they scan an area of copenhagen from the air to analyze various things ).

but if you with your plane/anyplane in dcs can take a photo with your build in target pod.. well i dont think so that such a feature will be implemented.

I would asume from a game point of view it would just be a mission success

if you spot the enemy.

I too would love a reconnaissance aspect added to DCS.. I think it would be much more useful once (if) they implement a dynamic campaign though, for the most part DCS holds your hand when it comes to locating enemies (F-10 map, Labels, mission editor) which isn't necessarily a bad thing since most ground attack missions will be well informed on enemy positions, but like you I wish I could be the one in charge of getting that intel. delevero brings up a good point though that all missions like that (With DCS's current campaign system) would likely boil down to mission pass/fail depending on whether you find the enemies or not, which is why ED needs to really consider Dynamic Campaigns for the near future.