What folders again to empty when updating?

BaD CrC

Hi guys,

Can you remind me please which folders can be erased when updating DCS to force the re compilation of the shaders?

Thanks.

delete the contents of

"C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta" fxo and metashaders2 folders.

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

?????????????????

What`s it good for ?

Would like to know.

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

?????????????????

What`s it good for ?

Would like to know.

it is where dcs stores some of its META2 and FX shader files for the game... can sometimes cause graphics conflicts.. deleting the contents of the folders results in DCS recompling shaders the next time you start... has resolved many graphics issues in the past... and is just good practice when changing settings often or when updating..

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

Thanx for the explanation. Got it now.

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

• 11 months later...

Got into this habit and continue to do so.

Really doesn't take it very long to rebuild on next run.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I do this after every DCS patch, and also after updating my graphics drivers.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Well, I don’t ever clear these folders and never have any issues, so I guess it’s a process that only a few people undertake. ED never touch any files in your Saved Games folder as far as I know.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Never had to re-map your controllers ? :) But seriously , i think the process is to avoid conflicts with the new metashaders/fxo files that may be downloaded in the "Bin" file (i think ) when updating .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

• 1 year later...

Just upgraded my GFX card and have massive stutters now, almost 100% sure this is the problem. From what I can remember from last time I cleared these it takes quite awhile for DCS to boot the first start after you do this!

With the price of ammunition these days do not expect a warning shot.

I see. Begs the question why ED don’t clear/delete these folders as part of the update process?

It should be part of the updater now it seems, as of DCS 2.5.6.53756 Open Beta 2020-08-18

Added removing of precompiled shaders from previous version of dcs on Update.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4457983&postcount=104

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

• ED Team
It should be part of the updater now it seems

Not of the updater, but DCS itself. One of the reasons: no updater in Steam.

(another one, DCS must clean up its own stuff, not relying on external tools, especially on the distribution platform which should not know the specifics of DCS, or whatever it distributes).

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Thanks for the clarification, good to understand. And thanks for bringing the feature, it's been a minor grief for many of us at some stage where we had to do some troubleshooting.

One step less to deal with when there are issues.

Edited by Panzertard

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

It should be part of the updater now it seems, as of DCS 2.5.6.53756 Open Beta 2020-08-18

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4457983&postcount=104

It isn't. You still have to do it manually...

Hence my question in the patch notes discussion thread (second to last post).

No official answer from ED so far.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

It isn't. You still have to do it manually...

Hence my question in the patch notes discussion thread (second to last post).

No official answer from ED so far.

Ah hm, nice observation. I checked mine as well.

.\Saved Games\DCS\fxo is up to date, as of the time I updated my openbeta a few days ago. No older entries.

.\Saved Games\DCS\metashaders2 does contain some older files from Dec 2019, Jan + March 2020 as well.

I'm not entirely sure I have any problems related to stutter/graphics though. I'll keep an eye on it.

• 7 months later...